Starting a Novel...for the 5th Time

spendius

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 02:35 pm
Lash wrote-

Quote:
You are at such a beautiful time of life-- You'll love harder, hurt deeper, think further..than any other time in your life. (My opinion, yes) It's hard as hell from the inside at 17, but creative and filled with so much fodder for worthwhile writing.

Come on Lash--you're underselling geezers. Getting a bit nostalgic-you know.

Geezers look harder and are more choosy and if they find something they love just as hard and hurt just as deep and think just as far and maybe further as Spitting does. At 17 he has an Aladdin's Cave full of temptations which geezers have learned how to sort through. Less tempts geezers but that doesn't mean nothing does.

I wish I was 17 again though. Why don't you take it from then.

"When I asked Nora to dance that night at the (*******) where the(*****), it was because all her friends were dancing and she was sat on her own. I suppose it was because she was considered plain."

And go from there to here in 4-500 pages with the object of amusing your readers with a geezer's look back at his life. If it gets out of hand and you are only 19 when 500 pages are done you could call it Part One of Lashed To The Mast.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 04:54 pm
The really good writers are those that, not so much concentrated on how they say it, they just have something to say. Its experience that shows through, not florid prose. If everyone wrote like Joyce, Im afraid the emergency rooms would be full of crash victimes who'd just finished trying to muddle through some of Joyces mental masturbation.
Nobody seems to write straightfroward declarative sentences anymore. Also, only a few are great dialogue writers.

Ive seen and read so much "first novel" efforts that turn out to be one trick ponies. An example is M Knight Shamalyan. His works have all been derivative of his very first screenplay and , IMHO , hes realizing taht being a good writer/.director takes effort.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:31 pm
fm wrote-

Quote:
If everyone wrote like Joyce, Im afraid the emergency rooms would be full of crash victimes who'd just finished trying to muddle through some of Joyces mental masturbation.

Had I got as far as "victims" I would have stopped. I wouldn't have tried to lay my disapprovel, had I had such,which I don't,on the reader.The simple scientific fact that-

Quote:
If everyone wrote like Joyce, Im afraid the emergency rooms would be full of crash victimes.

would suffice. I would allow my readers to draw their own conclusions.

Not that I ever would say anything like that mind you.

I think if everybody wrote like Joyce the conversation at the bar would be a distinct improvement on the shite I have to listen to most nights. Not every night-just most.

Do you not think I write "straightforward declaritive sentences" then fm?

"Nobody" seems a bit extreme. It even includes yersen mi worship.

You can nearly garuantee that a first novel will not be worth the paper it's wriiten on before too long. It's like looking for a gold seam in Broadway.
Better looking in them thar hills which have been there a long time. More chance.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:37 pm
farmerman wrote:
The really good writers are those that, not so much concentrated on how they say it, they just have something to say. Its experience that shows through, not florid prose.

Gotta disagree with you there, farmerman. A good story is one thing. The way you put it on paper is another. It's like a lousy joketeller killing a good joke.
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 05:48 pm
Re: Starting a Novel...for the 5th Time
Bella Dea wrote:

What I am asking is for some methods other people have when writing long pieces. .......... How to do remember what you wrote on page 20 when you are on page 100? Thanks and gratitude up front and I am off to continue writing. Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 09:38 am
Well, I over hauled my story and it's gone in a completely new direction.

I think maybe now I can pick it back up.

Wish me luck. Again. Laughing
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 09:56 am
Good luck again. I can't wait to read it. I will likely only live another forty or fifty years, so please get to work!
0 Replies