One by one
Word by word
She construed the words down
And on a beautiful sunny morning
She stood by her window
Rejoicing...
Her idea .........that little idea
Was now grown into a big novel

Yup, Hope Bella, your endevour has a fairy tale ending like that.

Anyways, Have you done your market research? I mean its really important to find out, before you wrap your novel up, what publications are likely to use the story you are writing.

Even I am going to begin my first novel in a few days from now.....

Good luck......

And yeah.......Never Say Die! Smile
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:23 am
Oh goodness, I hadn't even though of publication, to be entirely honest with you. I just want to get one done!
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:26 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Oh goodness, I hadn't even though of publication, to be entirely honest with you. I just want to get one done!

Ha, OK!

No problem, but if you want to see your work in print that is a good starting step.

Well, keep writing. Smile
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 01:40 pm
Seriously, why would you do market research before finishing the novel?

Any writer who thinks there is serious money to be made in writing something literary is deluded.

But if you're into romance novels, ****, open another savings account!!!
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:08 am
Gargamel wrote:
Seriously, why would you do market research before finishing the novel?

Any writer who thinks there is serious money to be made in writing something literary is deluded.

But if you're into romance novels, ****, open another savings account!!!

The trends in the writing world change everyday. You need to find if there are any publications who accept the kind of plot you are designing.

Most bestselling writers choose their market first and then mould their ideas into stories that would best fit in the genre.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:04 am
Spidergal--

I doubt whether any magazines publish novels. Are you thinking of researching the Short Story Market?

Gargamel--

Short story collections by an unknown are hard to sell in book form. Can any of your stories be marketed separately to magazines to get your name known?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 01:30 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Spidergal--

I doubt whether any magazines publish novels. Are you thinking of researching the Short Story Market?

Gargamel--

Short story collections by an unknown are hard to sell in book form. Can any of your stories be marketed separately to magazines to get your name known?

All books are hard to sell in book form. A good first book of fiction sells 4,000 copies.

But, yes, the idea is to publish in magazines first, before submitting a full length manuscript to a publisher. So, that's where I am at with the thesis. At present, two stories from this collection are forthcoming in literary magazines. Waiting to hear from others.

Spidergal, I think it's necessary, for sure, to research the market. Much, however, depends on what sort of writer you esteem yourself. I prefer to look at magazines that suit MY style, which I prefer not to compromise. There are so many small presses which produce literature that is experimental and, usually, superior to what makes it to the bestseller list.

My opinion, of course.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:31 pm
I'm 623 words in. There's no looking back now!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:01 pm
smog wrote:
I'm 623 words in. There's no looking back now!

WHOO HOO!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SMOG!
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:19 pm
The protagonist in Graham Greene's "The End of the Affair" was a novelist who wrote 500 words a day and produced a novel a year. When I thought about the task in that perspective, it seemed somehow much more achievable. So yeah, I'll roll with it for a while, I think.
0 Replies

Spitting Venom

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:11 pm
Bella Dea I know how you feel, except I'm 17 traing for football, breaking up with my girlfriend of 3 years studying for exams and trying to launch a rap career (first CD coming out june 12th) I have been writing a story since i was 14, it's 278 pages and i haven't written one word since december 05, I just can't seem to get back into it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 07:32 pm
Spitting--

I've been writing since I was a kid, and I'm a geezer now.

Breaking up with your girlfriend is an optimal time to write.

Your best stuff will likely come out.

My son was a starter on the football team and I know that this time is almost impossible to get anything out, because of the incredible demands on time and energy.

But, it's such a fruitful time, I'd suggest at least getting tapes, and recording your thoughts and insights, and trying to use them for inspiration later.

You are at such a beautiful time of life-- You'll love harder, hurt deeper, think further..than any other time in your life. (My opinion, yes) It's hard as hell from the inside at 17, but creative and filled with so much fodder for worthwhile writing.

The story you were working on before...hold on to it,...but maybe you have other stuff swirling around in your head that needs attention now.

Anyway. I think you're exceptionally poised for writing great things. Good luck.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:29 pm
Hi all,

I have just started on a post-apocalytic sci-fi story (still researching the facts in the Science and Mathematics thread, Asteroid IMPACT). The problem I have is not a lack of words, but the fact that they come at the most unsuitable moments (i.e. when I am working, or in the sauna, etc.) and my memory is like a shotgunned Swiss cheese, so I often forget some original phrases/angles before I can write them down.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:35 pm
Paaskynen wrote:
Hi all,

I have just started on a post-apocalytic sci-fi story (still researching the facts in the Science and Mathematics thread, Asteroid IMPACT). The problem I have is not a lack of words, but the fact that they come at the most unsuitable moments (i.e. when I am working, or in the sauna, etc.) and my memory is like a shotgunned Swiss cheese, so I often forget some original phrases/angles before I can write them down.

Carry a digital voice recorder. They are small, and, as long as you are not looking for one that records huge amounts, inexpensive. I've seen them at my local Radio Shack for around $20. They are very small, so you could just keep it in your pocket (except for in the sauna, then you'd just have to keep it close or not with you at all) and use it quickly to record an idea when it strikes.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:53 pm
I'm rarely without my Mead, pocketsized notebook, for precisely this reason.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 01:03 pm
Gargamel wrote:
I'm rarely without my Mead, pocketsized notebook, for precisely this reason.

There's another great idea. You can pick up a pocket notepad for under a dollar, and get a mechanical pencil or a pen so you don't have to worry about sharpening anything. These will go nicely in your pocket as well.
Good call, gargamel.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 01:34 pm
bm - I know there's a story in me waiting to get out.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 01:37 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
bm - I know there's a story in me waiting to get out.

tee hee hee...

bm...waiting to get out....he he he
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 01:48 pm
Yes, it's the tale of a constipated capybera farmer....very grouchy soul.
0 Replies