Mine is Harry Truman.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,694 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 10:26 am
Hmmm...Does it have to be one who served during my lifetime and who I recall accurately? That would be hard. So I'll choose Abe Lincoln, if that's permissible under the ground rules.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 03:39 pm
Jimmy Carter
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 03:44 pm
Jimmy Carter - honesty, dignity, family values, peaceful, truthful, dedicated, thrifty - why or why can't we find another?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 03:53 pm
George Washington.

Because he had that cool wig, and more importantly, never told a lie.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 03:54 pm
My answer might surprise you. I'll say JFK.

Any president who banged Marilyn Monroe in the Whitehouse gets my vote. To anyone who wants to accuse me of a double standard - I say this: Monica is not Marilyn. Wink
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 03:59 pm
depending on what the meaning of "is" is!

Legal meaning of "is" - both female, over age of consent, and consenting!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 04:45 pm
Didn't Washington wear wooden dentures?
0 Replies

5PoF

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 10:52 pm
George Washington should be a "saint" to all Americans, sadly he's mostly forgotten.

No he didn't have wooden dentures, it's a myth.

But what he was, was a decent man who knew that power would corrupt him if he let it, so he did step down after 2 terms. Amazing.

Furthermore, he was a great Freemason and embodies those ideals.

If only more US presidents were Freemasons, the best having been Freemasons. GW, Andrew Jackson, Lincoln was to become one but was killed, Harry Truman, the Roosevelts.

And George Washington still was the best of all, and the best president.

Everyone should check out the "George Washington Masonic Memorial", it is a grand tower structure towering over 5 floors, grand collumns of marble, and stain glass windows which show reliefs of Masonic nature pertaining to GW, amazing memorial to an Amazing man.
0 Replies

2durngooooood

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 01:25 am
Ole' Abe numero uno

Mr. Green

My favorite is Lincoln for a number of reasons, three of which are:

* he signed a law designating the creation of the first national park in California, at Yosemite

* had a first class mind,

* the first president to warn of the dangers of unchecked corporate growth (re: military-industrial complex)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 04:58 am
Franklin Roosevelt.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 03:27 pm
I agree with the thoughts about Jimmy Carter. He is/was one of the most under-appreciated great examples of a human being before, during and after his presidency.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 03:35 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 04:35 pm
I love Jimmy Carter the man, just not his presidency.
0 Replies

2durngooooood

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 11:50 pm
Andrew Jackson is anathema to me!

5PoF,

I cannot agree with you on Jackson's presumed greatness, this was the same man who whipped his own troops with a saber, who was an inveterate liar and cheat, who signed an order to banish the 5 Civilized Nations from their own lands, making sure that his fellow whites were awarded Indin' people's land after they robbed, raped and murdered numerous members of the tribes!
Jackson should have been arrested, tried and then hung by his filthy neck for his atrocious crimes against humanity!

As for Washington--gentleman farmer and racist--he was less than great! Like Jackson later on, he butchered large numbers of Indin' peoples [French & Indian War], had his own destitute troops shot or hung during the Colonial Rebellion, and personally led troops, along wth his wealthy fellow collaborator Hamilton, to search and destroy Western dirt poor farmers during the Whisky Rebellion--which was a euphemism for a class warfare Shocked
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 10:07 am
Alright, stop rewriting history folks and just pick one. Being president is a sucky job. Pick one and answer the original question.
0 Replies

valgalmypal

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 02:18 pm
Jimmy Carter,Ronald Regan
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 04:55 pm
Oh, I dunno, cjhsa, some of the takes on history here are kind of fun. Especially the one on the superiority of US Presidents who were Freemasons. Who knew?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 07:31 pm
5PoF wrote:
George Washington should be a "saint" to all Americans, sadly he's mostly forgotten.

I agree completely. I don't believe this country would have come into existence at that time and in that way if not for Washington. Although he was a wealthy man, he spent eight years in the field, with almost non-existent supplies, and rather than surrender, as most would have early in the war, he refused to in any way negotiate with the British for terms. He didn't want to serve a single term as president and only did so when implored to. He was widely regarded as extremely eithical and fair by his men, by the foreign officers like Lafayette who assisted us, and by his fellow founding fathers. Also, it's kind of misleading to say that he butchered Indian peoples during the French and Indian Wars. The truth is that the British and their Indian allies fought the French and their Indian allies.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 07:52 pm
TR...Bully! Smile
0 Replies