Improving Oral communication

srirams

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 02:47 pm
Hi all,

Could you please provide me with tips to increase my communucation skills.
How do I increase my vocalbulary.
How do I learn to speak with style and stuff so that people listen?

Regards
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 598 • Replies: 4
No top replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:09 pm
Re: Improving Oral communication
srirams wrote:
Hi all,

Could you please provide me with tips to increase my communucation skills.
How do I increase my vocalbulary.
How do I learn to speak with style and stuff so that people listen?

Regards

There are many ways and hopefully they'll all be covered by other posters but just some ideas.

You increase your vocabulary by reading (it's not the only way but it works). And read material at a level higher than what you feel comfortable. What I mean by this is that if I want to relax and read something easy I'll get into something like a Clive Cussler novel. But if I want to learn things and get stuck into something difficult I'll read one of the classics or something more academic. If I come across a word I don't know I'll look it up. And then I'll try and use it (and annoy everyone).

Speaking with an assumed style is dangerous. Just be yourself. As your vocabulary increases due to your reading your thinking will influence your speaking. You will use your wider vocabulary in a natural manner. Avoid showing off your improved vocabulary because it is a huge turn-off.

Note that all communication is within a social situation and you need to be flexible. In a business setting be business-like in your approach, your language, but communicate clearly and avoid jargon. In a social setting be friendly and informal.

Read. And get a good dictionary.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 10:13 pm
Listen to great speeches. You can probably find recordings of Martin Luther King, Jr., John F. Kennedy, and F.D.Roosevelt. You could also take an acting class. Theater schools teach students how to speak clearly and project both their voice and their personality to an audience.

Goodfielder is right about challenging yourself with reading. Read famous historians like Kenneth Clark or Barbara Tuchman.
Look for classics in literature by D.H. Lawrence, Virginia Woolf, Dickens, Jane Austin, Sinclair Lewis, Steinbeck, etc.
0 Replies

Hex

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:09 am
Read more, listen more and of course, you must talk more.

Always be confident.
0 Replies

atypical10

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 09:08 am
Reading is knowledge,you should read everyday and maybe you could join some clubs to help with communication skills.
0 Replies