Official A2K Gathering in Chicago, May 7th, 2006!

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 02:47 pm
I guess that's something to establish -- would it need to be within walking distance of anything? I'm assuming that train and taxi should cover it for people who don't have cars.

Sorry you won't be there, J_B!

A-ha! I found the rental rates for Garfield Park Conservatory and their Community Room is $25/ hour. 3-hour minimum. That's more like it!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 02:53 pm
It's pretty bare-bones, though.

This is nice! $1,500 for 7 hours on a Saturday ($15/ person if we get 100 people...)

http://www.garfield-conservatory.org/images/rooms_hort_1.jpg

At any rate, from my brief research it looks like there are options up the WAZOO. That's good.

Any recommendations, J_B?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 02:54 pm
Shoot... I might be able to find $75 underneath my sofa cushions.

We could also rent a trolley to take us around. It is actually a bus that looks like a trolley but it fits a ton of people, is reasonably priced and allows drinking on board. They will take us just about anywhere and is safe transportation for all.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 03:00 pm
It really depends on what you want to do. If you're talking dinner and drinks, all inclusive, or just cocktails, or lunch, etc. The room rental is only the beginning, you also need catering and so on.

I can call around to some of the downtown hotels and see what they have. It would probably be easier to book through a place that has a banquet service so you don't have to cover the individual details (unless you're into covering details).

What should I price and is 100 people a fair guess?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 03:02 pm
<maybe people could be encouraged to vote in the poll. there's only 1 possibly showing up right now - according to the poll>
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 03:24 pm
I'm in on the poll - just now saw it. I'm a "definitely be there" - Good Lord willin' an' the creek don't rise :wink:

Another thought here - haven't explored it - might be practical to reserve open space at a park, then get a commercial tent shelter from a rental outfit; I've done that a few times, though not in Chicago proper. Around here, a 20'X30' tent with banquet tables and seating for about 70 people goes for something like $250 for a deliver-and-set-up Friday/tear-down-and-return Monday weekend - prolly more in Chicago, but mebbe worth looking into. Any Chicago caterer oughtta be able to provide precise details; caterers use rent-a-tents all the time, some even have their own rigs, with better rates than 3rd-party rental vendors when included in a catering package.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 03:27 pm
i just voted, too. didn't notice the poll before.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 03:29 pm
you think we'll have 100 people? i think more like 30. 40 max.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 03:33 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
you think we'll have 100 people? i think more like 30. 40 max.

Really? < Might consider cancelling the hotel and flights in that case Laughing >

Honestly, enthusiastically I would even think about a greater number.
In reality, I suppose, 100 is a good figure.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 03:43 pm
At this point, I have nooooo idea. I could see it going either way -- 20 or 200.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 03:49 pm
Having just voted in the poll, I note that only eight people have voted so far. There're more than eight of us just chatting here. Whazzup, folks?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 03:50 pm
I think the poll was added recently.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 04:01 pm
I just voted as definite, assuming the creek doesn't rise.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:35 pm
Depending on the numbers, here's some possible restaurants for Saturday afternoon (some for evening) with outside seating as well as inside.
I suspect Sublime and other Chicagoans can give us more, with preferred Beer Gardens..

I stopped because I thought the last one I found was neat and added it to favorites and lost track of where I was in the Downtown restaurants with Outside Seating review. Will have to start again around restaurant #65..
but here's some so far.

Several of them have private rooms..

Riva on Navy Pier

Navy Pier Beer Garden (all ages welcome, private parties only)

Enoteca Roma (you'd figure I'd find this one)

212 on the River - Roof garden etc.

Athena Greek Restaurant

Garden Restaurant at the Art Institute
Small, but if our numbers are small, a maybe...

Mellenium Park restaurant
can be reserved

Haven't finished downtown Loop much less other areas, and was looking mostly for afternoon possibilities. Probably skipped some...

What has occurred to me is we need a fair span of time as people will be late... and we might need to figure some places for later too, in case people get derailed in the afternoon..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:07 pm
Chicago in May is impossible for me, but I'm getting very envious.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:19 pm
Looks like I can't spell Millenium..
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:12 pm
I'm getting excited! I'm in as definite - even if the creek does rise.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:25 pm
mac and osso are both planning on attending? Hmmmm, I might just have to polish up my traveling shoes.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:30 pm
Gus, if you'll be there, the attendance will automatically double. At least.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:33 pm
Oooh, did I say I wouldn't room with anyone? <thinking, he probably wouldn't mind snoring>
0 Replies