Official A2K Gathering in Chicago, May 7th, 2006!

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:42 pm
I finally nabbed the Carleton, I'd spelled it wrong. The old hotel starts higher, something like 150.

The hotel's motel is much lower (me!), seeming to be c. 85.

This might be a link, or just look up Carleton Hotel Motel on Google and you'll find the tripadvisor site.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:44 pm
Not to push this over anything else, but I might be staying at a Travel Lodge. But which Travel Lodge...

at 85. I might suck it up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:46 pm
I finally nabbed the Carleton, I'd spelled it wrong. The old hotel starts higher, something like 150.

The hotel's motel is much lower (me!), seeming to be c. 85.

This might be a link, or just look up Carleton Hotel Motel on Google and you'll find the tripadvisor site.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:51 pm
I sorta remember Oak Park from our driving through it but very slightly. I have no idea what is dicey in one way or another, presume OP is dicey on the upside because of frank.

Re timing, MA, some from Europe need lead time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:58 pm
Sorry for the repeats, good grief.

And still no decent link, beg your pardon.

sigh, try this -
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g36471-d87941-Reviews-Carleton_Hotel_and_Motor_Inn-Oak_Park_Illinois.html
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:02 pm
HOORAY! What a great idea! And I've always wanted a good excuse to visit Chicago! (Haven't made it there yet, and where could I possibly find better guides?!)

Let's see. School will still be in session for SonofEva, but maybe I could manage to get away for a couple of days by myself...is this on a weekend?...but would a couple of days be long enough? <thinking, thinking>

This sounds like a can't-miss party.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:03 pm
Osso--

Try:

http://snipurl.com/index.php

You enter a link from the middle of the site and they boil it down to the pertinent bones. Then the bones work.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:13 pm
I got around it by trying again and again, Noddy, but I'm going to save that link for the next time.

I can look at me as too engaged in this, but it's both fun and serious for myself. The trick is now and will be on this thread, to separate out odd needs like my slight interest in FLW plus inexpensive place... and our paying attention to what most want. If we do both of these, we may have a main place and satellites....
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:16 pm
Count me in!

If we settle on a hotel, we might be able to get a group rate as well as use their meeting room for free or at a discount anyway... and we'll have more time together if we're staying at the same place as well.

I seem to have no time to spare lately, so thanks for doing all the research, osso.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:20 pm
From my experience at booking mourners for family funerals, even three rooms qualifies you for a bit of a discount.

Of course, I've never accommodated Visiting Firemen in a Big City.

Still....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:21 pm
VERY good point about group rate/ meeting rooms, mac.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 11:25 pm
Just a thought - room rates in the O'Hare (airport)/NorthWest Suburban region are gonna be on average a lot less than downtown - more of 'em, too. Mass transit to downtown abounds, and even rental car charges prolly wouldn't be out of line compared to a downtown (Loop or near environs) hotel room. In Chicago proper, further out from downtown, (but go North), reasonable room rates are readily had - the major; Holiday Inns, TraveLodges, etc, and the like), and mass transit to-and-from the downtown/Near North is fine, affordable, and eminently accessible.

I'll admit none of this is a factor for me; I'll stay at a relative's. Prolly borrow their car, too. Ain't picked one yet, but I've a broad assortment from which to choose.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:02 am
Having looked over various hotel sites, I noticed that at some nice places I can't book over the complete 4 four days I want to stay there.

So (and since I don't want to spend my time [and money] in busses/trolleys, I've booked the Essex Inn now. (There are surely better places - but since I'm in Essex/UK quite freqently :wink: )
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:15 am
Did you find that while searching under Chicago *sex* ? :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:21 am
McTag wrote:
Did you find that while searching under Chicago *sex* ? :wink:

Embarrassed

:wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 02:35 am
Had a memorable stay at the Essex - mid '70s, it was. Nice room, 14th or 15th floor, if I recall, fantastic park view with the Lake as a backdrop, and I ran into this this amazingly fit and supple Danish lass ... well, nevermind right now. You'll hafta remind me to tell you about it. When the ladies aren't around, you know.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 02:55 am
timberlandko wrote:
When the ladies aren't around, you know.

You mean, when those McTag (perhaps) referred to have left? Laughing
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 06:55 am
AHA! This is where you're all hiding is it?

Little known facts and tips regarding Chicago:-

1. It has a lake.

2. It is reasonably windy.

3. Lots of big men in suits walk around with violin cases under their arms.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:05 am
what's in the violin cases?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:08 am
dagmaraka wrote:
what's in the violin cases?

dag- You don't want to know! Laughing
0 Replies