Official A2K Gathering in Chicago, May 7th, 2006!

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:56 am
it's all good syn. we're all in the same boat, posting rubbish in quadruples today,ha. it's gonna get fixed.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:01 am
I thought I was getting censored for thinking about adultery and fornication.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:02 am
i'm getting censored, too. i tried to lure ellpus into my cobweb, and then it all started happening....
is a2k reading our minds now? frightening.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:34 am
syn, didn't you have another post here? where did it go? scary stuff!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 12:00 pm
If anybody wants to fly into Milwaukee I have a spare bedroom... of course I'd have to check with the Mrs first.

Why don't we look into reserving a spot in a park and getting it catered? Lots of room and we could do it reasonably inexpensively. May in Chicago is a great time to be outdoors.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 12:03 pm
Ooh, and there are also park department buildings! In Madison, there is a really cool building that is owned by the Parks Department that can be rented really inexpensively. I bet there's something like that in Chicago. Now I'm gonna go look.

Good idea!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 12:08 pm
Whoa. So many options, hard to narrow it down:

http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/parks.home.cfm

(I searched by "meeting rooms/ assemby halls".)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 12:10 pm
Grant Park - my hotel is just steps away - and which includes an outdoor music pavillion which can accommodate up to 14,000 people. (Well, some of our 48,969 mewmbers might not be able to come Laughing )
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 12:12 pm
Heh!

It would be cool if we could get something that has indoor facilities, too, though, in case of inclement weather.

Can't quite tell yet if this fits the bill:

http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/parks.detail/object_id/068C3D93-E5F8-4D02-8767-867161271B8A.cfm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 12:17 pm
And here's a good article in the Boston Globe on Millennial Park, not sure about facilities. Then there's Lincoln Park near the Zoo (I haven't looked that up either.)

http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/articles/2005/10/30/chicago_hits_this_one_out_of_the_park/?page=full
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 12:21 pm
Garfield park looks interesting, too.

I just sent an email to the Chicago Parks District laying out the basic parameters and asking for their advice.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 12:21 pm
soz,

I used to live near that park. The park is very nice but the park's indoor facility is old and not in very good condition.

(gus can probably give advice on why indoor facilities are not absolutely necessary)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 12:52 pm
perhaps we should just reserve a whole restaurant with catering for sat. afternoon / evening? it still may be cold in may and what if it rains?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 12:58 pm
I sent an email to the Chicago Parks people laying out parameters and asking for advice, just got this response:

Thank you for emailing the Chicago Park District. The Park District would love to be a part of your special celebration. Following are some locations to have a wedding, reception, anniversary party, shower, etc., and some ideas of places that can be especially nice for pictures. Call each park directly to ask about room capacities and rental information. Recommended Facilities; Berger Park Cultural Center Columbus Park Refectory Gage Park Garfield Park Conservatory Grant Park Humboldt Park Rose Garden (in season) Lincoln Park Lincoln Park Conservatory Marquette Park Garden (in season) Promontory Point (Burnham Park) South Shore Cultural Center Washington Park Refectory For the Special Use Facilities please contact Ann Regan, Project Coordinator for Park Services at (312) 742-4847. Additionally, Permits are needed for groups of 50 or more people. Applications are due in advance of the event, up to 60 days in some cases. For Lakefront permits, call the Park Services permit office at 312.742.5369. For neighborhood park permit information, call the park directly. Again, thank you for your email and we hope you enjoy the parks.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 01:09 pm
Millenium Park is beatiful. It may be to big/expesive for us but they do offer private rentals with a variety of siz/cost options. They even have a list of recommended caterers.

http://www.millenniumpark.org/

Grant Park would be awsome, too. Right near the Art Institute of Chicago, the Field Museum, the Shedd Aquarium and all of down town... not to mention the Magnificent Mile for all of you A2K shopaholics.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 01:19 pm
That worked! (My "email" posts weren't showing, then when jp posted they showed up.)
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 01:24 pm
Mine were not showing up either. I had to click on my name to see my recent posts and it showed up there.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 02:37 pm
Started by contacting these folks:

http://www.garfield-conservatory.org/room_rentals_1.htm

(Millenium Park is PRICEY! Like $10,000 pricey, although one room goes for $2,500 a day.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 02:40 pm
Garfield Park Conservatory would be beautiful, but its not within walking distance of anything. Neither is Lincoln Park for that matter. Grant Park and Millenium Park are right downtown but the cost might be prohibitive.

Sadly, this is the one weekend next spring when I already know I'll be out of town. I'll probably leave on Wednesday and get back late Sunday. If anyone is here early or staying on longer I'd be happy to join in.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 02:47 pm
I left my number for a call back on Garfield Park for availability for 5/6/06. Pricing seems reasonable, but its prime wedding season so availability might be a problem.

http://www.garfieldconservatory.org/gpca_pdf/room_rental_rate_sheet.pdf

http://www.garfield-conservatory.org/
0 Replies