Official A2K Gathering in Chicago, May 7th, 2006!

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 02:18 pm
Mathos wrote:

I am totally at a loss in seeing how anybody would have the audacity to not only photograph such a pathetic sight, but to place it on public display is tan-ta-mount to treason.

I haven't shown my pics from English fish 'n chips due to
    - all the trouble I'll get with the NHS - violating the TOS here at A2K (obscene pics!)

Just to mention the prime reasons, since the www is tasteless.
(Honestly, even the vinegar you get as dressing ... [I joyful recall fish 'n chips shops, famous for their News of the World gout! But that's history.]
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 02:23 pm
Mathos-

You don't understand.

It is because it was served at the meeting that gives it its aesthetic charm. It isn't any old plate of nutrient. It's special. It has cachet.

It looks a good dose of ten times heated up saturated fat.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 02:29 pm
spendius wrote:

It looks a good dose of ten times heated up saturated fat.

I know, it takes some time to get an appointment with a NHS ophthalmologist.

But there should be a visionexpress close to you ...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 03:17 pm
Mathos wrote:
Hiya Cal:

Cal, you cannot defend that and you know it, and don't knock English fayre, you just carry on chomping on your funny sausages! :wink:

All I can say, Mathos: I've survived soley on Indian food when I was
in England. Wink
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 03:18 pm
There may well be one Walt but I haven't seen it.

Actually I thought the glassware on the left quite tastefully captured.

Is the fork that way round to suit the local etiquette.

Is that an arm or a leg resting on the further batter.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 03:22 pm
It looks better than Yorkshire pudding with watery gravy poured in the middle.

Which you can get in Derbyshire :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 03:44 pm
Duke of Perth's fish and chips were the best, absolutely delicious (sez me, and I'm picky.)
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 03:58 pm
Cal, Germans have a habit of brewing the best beer.

Apart from that I can think of little they offer for the betterment of man or mankind in general. I do not wish to slaughter the culinary offerings of Germany on these pages. If you visited England and ate Bombay delights and missed out even on a simple pub roast, you must have spent your time in Bradford and you have no idea what you missed.

Spend a day in Gordon Ramsays kitchen young lady and your tears would be flowing!

I would have gone ballistic if that plate had been put in front of me, as Spendius points out (strange we should agree) the table and surrounds look an absolute disgrace.

Do they have public health officers in Chicago?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 04:54 pm
Being raised as an inlander, I have had my fill of bad seafood and am consequently not a big fan of fish & chips. However, I was delightfully surprised at the Duke of Perth's version.

The fish was mild, sweet and tender, the batter very light and crispy, and it was obviously fried at just the right temperature because it was not greasy at all. The lemon slice was quite unnecessary because the fish was so fresh. I saved the lemon for my iced tea (hey, I'm a Southern girl!)

The peas were good...either frozen or fresh...I cannot abide canned peas.

The fish rested on a bed of french fries...what you would call "chips." There were plenty.

Sorry about the inauthentic tartar sauce, but that is the American standard for fried fish. A nice malt vinegar would also have been good but unnecessary. The fish was that good. I even had seconds, which is unheard of!

Kudos to Bill and others for suggesting the Duke of Perth!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 05:36 pm
looks purty tasty to me. i'd cause bodily harm to have fish and chips right now. hmmm, i wonder if i can get it as a take out anywhere.... guess not.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 05:38 pm
Eva wrote-

Quote:
.I cannot abide canned peas.

I would take 11 to 10 that they were canned. A5s probably.

Why were there no decent pics of Eva and devvie? Buildings are boring.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 05:42 pm
Eva is correct; the fish and chips at the Duke of Perth was excellent. It beat the stuff I've eaten in London that turns out too greasy compared to the Perth. They could have improved on that tartar sauce - even though you wouldn't have noticed from mine being cleaned out. Malt vinegar would have been a nice touch too!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 05:45 pm
Mathos wrote-

Quote:
Spend a day in Gordon Ramsays kitchen young lady and your tears would be flowing!

That is probably true. A day is a long time to spend in any young lady never mind one from Mr Ramsey's kitchen. The mere thought of it brings tears to my eyes.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 07:19 pm
Eva wrote:
Kudos to Bill and others for suggesting the Duke of Perth!
All credit for that good decision goes to Joe.

dagmaraka wrote:
looks purty tasty to me. i'd cause bodily harm to have fish and chips right now. hmmm, i wonder if i can get it as a take out anywhere.... guess not.
No need for that. I know a certain restaurant in Port Washington, WI that serves a fish fry of like-quality from 11am to 9pm 7 days a week. :wink: I just ate one myself.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 07:37 pm
Hmmm. I wonder which restaurant that would be? :wink:

Thanks to Joe, then, for the great fish & chips! What a guy...he knew right where to take us for great food AND music! Giordano's was his idea, too, along with the clubs we visited. He'd make a GREAT tour guide. (Uh, wait a minute. He DID!)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 07:38 pm
that photo forced me to order in some general Gao's chicken, spring rolls and crab rangoon. ALL YOUR FAULT!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 10:36 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
that photo forced me to order in some general Gao's chicken, spring rolls and crab rangoon. ALL YOUR FAULT!

Well, that needs some further explanation Laughing
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 02:45 pm
Walter, excuse me asking, but would you have any further photographs of these Chicago culinary atrocities?

Breakfast?

Lunch?

Afternoon tea?

Dinner?

Supper?

It go's without saying that our colleagues on A2K who like myself were unable or could not attend the gathering would be desirous to know what they didn't miss on the trip.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 08:08 am
http://i4.tinypic.com/10mismt.jpg

Why is everyone complaining that there wasn't any malt vinegar at the Duke of Perth? It's right there, to the left of the ketchup.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 09:04 am
Well, DUH! (slaps forehead) Laughing
0 Replies