oh my god, she's so annoying!!!! advice please!!

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:22 pm
ok, here's the deal; my b.f of just over 2 years lives with his nan!! and she's so annoying! she's so hostile+it seems like she looks down on me. She's nosey and constantly moans at my b.f!! it annoys me so much, but ive never said anything, but this evening i was quite short with her.
im now left feeling bad, but she has driven me to it!! i stay over at my b.f's about 3 nights a week+i cant think of what else i can do. ive gone shopping with her, offered to do jobs for her, helped her do gardening and im always chatty, but she's so cold. somedays she's fine, but otherdays she's just off with us!!!
What can i do????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 950 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:25 pm
In my opinion, you should just ignore her. Quit trying to impress her, you're not dating her.
0 Replies

kittengirl

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:29 pm
thanx for your reply. ive thought of that, but its bcos i spend alot of time there that i want her to like me, or at least be nicer to me. I see my b.f tusday and friday evenings and sat afternoon+sunday. rest of the time he's working, and im at uni. I spend alot of time there, so i feel i should make the effort!!!
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:31 pm
Well, that's certainly commendable. But I honestly wouldn't put too much stock in her liking you. If she's crabby and irratible by nature nothing you can do will change that, nor should you kill yourself trying.
0 Replies

kittengirl

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:34 pm
what you've said really makes sense! everyone, even her own mother, has said that's how she is, but its so damn frustrating!!
it makes me feel like not going round there, but i just like staying with my b.f overnight too much! i feel i need to put my foot down+refuse to go round, so maybe she realises - i doubt she will though!!!
ARGH
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:46 pm
Understandable.

Unfortunately, he lives in her house, which means that you really don't have any leverage to change her. The best thing to do would be to just avoid her as much as possible, allow her the opportunity to reach out to you if she so chooses.

So long as she has the upper hand she has absolutely no reason to alter the way she acts.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:48 pm
Perhaps she's upset with you and your boyfriend spending overnights together. She may realize he's sexually active but not want to be reminded of it -- and needs to compromise in order to get along with him, but isn't comfortable with it. I know that if it was my mother, she would have had a very hard time with it.

Be pleasant, offer a hello and a kind word, e. g. something like "That's a nice outfit." or "Your dinner smells wonderful. Do you have the recipe?" or "Can I pick you up something from the store?" but no more than that. I am talking about maybe five minutes of attention for her but no more, and something pleasant and unselfish, about her. Most people love that, even if they outwardly don't seem to.

Like Questioner says, you're not there to impress her -- but, it will make life a lot easier if you all get along as well as you possibly can. She may never love you, but at least if there is hostility it won't be coming from anything you said or did, or didn't say or do. Also, keep in mind, that if you have problems with your boyfriend, even if he claims the opposite, he may very well put some stock in how you have treated her, so do the right thing and that will not stand in the way of getting along with him -- and he's the main person you're worried about, anyway.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:59 pm
Invite her to the bedroom for a threesome.

YAY!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:14 pm
tina969 wrote:
i feel i need to put my foot down+refuse to go round, so maybe she realises - i doubt she will though!!!ARGH

Do you think she would miss you if you refused to 'go round'?

It's her house, her rules, her deal.

You get to learn to deal with it, or wait til you and/or your bf get your own place/s.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:17 pm
Is it her house? If so, it's her rules. And quite frankly, you have no business breaking those rules. You aren't family. She doesn't care if you come around or not. In fact, she probably would feel better if you didn't. I am quite sure she doesn't want you spending the night together in sin under her roof. Think about that before you go on about what an awful person she is; think about how YOU look in her eyes.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:27 pm
Your best bet in a situation like this is to keep a friendly, cool distance as much as possible. She doesn't have to like you; and you don't have to like her.

Be courteous and respectful. Other than that, try to stay out of her face.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 02:01 pm
Does your boyfriend spend the other nights of the week staying at your place? What are your living arrangements that you spend so much time at his grandmother's?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:36 pm
Is this a joke? Are you serious? You're sleeping with this woman's grandson (?), under her roof, without the benefit of marriage, and you can't figure out why she's pissed with you?
0 Replies