Evidence Of US Use Of Chemical Weapons On Iraqi Civilians...

revel

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 07:03 am
I simply think we overboard when we used WP because of it's harmful effects on people and it is hard to keep it limited to targets when there are civilians around at the same time. In my opinion it was a mistake in judgement to use it when we did.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 07:58 am
revel wrote:
I simply think we overboard when we used WP because of it's harmful effects on people and it is hard to keep it limited to targets when there are civilians around at the same time. In my opinion it was a mistake in judgement to use it when we did.

The thing that caused civilian deaths was the fact that we bombarded the place with heavy artillery (120mm mortars and 155mm howitzers).

I don't see how a white phosphorus shell is deadlier (or harder to limit to targets) than a similar shell loaded with high explosive.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 08:12 am
How silly is an argument to determine the most humane way to kill each other during war.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 09:05 am
woiyo wrote:
How silly is an argument to determine the most humane way to kill each other during war.

Don't know how silly it is, but it's been done before. After the horrors of mustard gas in WWI, people banned chemical weapons.

And there is a treaty that limits (but not bans) the use of incendiaries like napalm in urban areas so as to help ensure that napalm only gets used on actual combatants.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:26 am
oralloy wrote:
revel wrote:

The thing that caused civilian deaths was the fact that we bombarded the place with heavy artillery (120mm mortars and 155mm howitzers).

I don't see how a white phosphorus shell is deadlier (or harder to limit to targets) than a similar shell loaded with high explosive.

I said harmful not deaths. But your right, it would be just as hard to limit exposer to civilians with heavy artillery to just compantants.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 12:34 pm
revel wrote:
oralloy wrote:
revel wrote:
First it was denied we used it, then it is only for illumination purposes so it wasn't a chemical weapon, now we have come down, it is not illegal because we didn't sign any treaty and we didn't purposely target civilians anyway-if they got hurt, well, tough luck.

Where did we deny using it?

The first response I heard was when they were claiming that it was only used for illumination.

My bad, we denied using it except as illumation purposes, but that turned out to be a lie.

I was thinking, you might have got that idea from hearing the napalm story.

The Marines did have their fighter jets drop dozens of 750-pound napalm bombs on Iraqi positions that were in their way as they were racing to Baghdad during the opening days of the war.

And when questioned about it, they flatly denied it at first (I'm not sure why).

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20030805-9999_1n5bomb.html
0 Replies