Genesis Redux

jstark

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 04:33 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
jstark,

I guess you totally skipped over the part that I believe the Bible to be divinly protected by God? In the Bible there are parables, metaphors, literal stories, etc. I pray for God to give me understanding when I read the Bible. Does it really matter that some might think the Israelites crossed a sea of reeds or the parted Red Sea? Perhaps not. What matters is the message itself. The divinity of God, the truthfulness of God, the love of God. That has not been and will not be changed by any translation.

If the English Bible says the Jews crossed the Red Sea, but in the original texts there is not mention of the Red Sea, how can this not be a translation error? Especially when it can be shown how uch a mistranslation could have been made from the Greek texts used to scribe the English version.

Question Here is a question I have for you. What if all the Bibles in all the world were destroyed. What would Christens believe then? What would you believe?

I do understand that the Bible is more than a historical account to you and most if not all Christians. You stating that does not wave away the historical evidence for translation errors creeping into the Bible though.

Kind Regards
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 04:44 pm
jstark wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
jstark,

I guess you totally skipped over the part that I believe the Bible to be divinly protected by God? In the Bible there are parables, metaphors, literal stories, etc. I pray for God to give me understanding when I read the Bible. Does it really matter that some might think the Israelites crossed a sea of reeds or the parted Red Sea? Perhaps not. What matters is the message itself. The divinity of God, the truthfulness of God, the love of God. That has not been and will not be changed by any translation.

If the English Bible says the Jews crossed the Red Sea, but in the original texts there is not mention of the Red Sea, how can this not be a translation error? Especially when it can be shown how uch a mistranslation could have been made from the Greek texts used to scribe the English version.

Question Here is a question I have for you. What if all the Bibles in all the world were destroyed. What would Christens believe then? What would you believe?

I do understand that the Bible is more than a historical account to you and most if not all Christians. You stating that does not wave away the historical evidence for translation errors creeping into the Bible though.

Kind Regards

jstark,

Actually, the Bible does not say it was the Red Sea specifically. That part in itself has come from man. But, IMO, it's not what sea it was that is important. What is important is the miracle God performed to save the Israelites in their flight from the Egyptians.

If all the Bibles in the world were destroyed that would just mean the books themselves were destroyed. The Word of God is not just in a written book. It is in the hearts of those that love the Lord. So, I would believe exactly the same thing I believe now.

Again, I believe the Bible is divinly protected by God. I do not believe that any of His true message is missing because of translation errors. If a word or two had been (not saying it has) mistranslated, I don't believe it would be anything that could or would change the basis of the Word of God.
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 05:16 pm
Maomma Angel wrote:

Actually, the Bible does not say it was the Red Sea specifically. That part in itself has come from man. But, IMO, it's not what sea it was that is important. What is important is the miracle God performed to save the Israelites in their flight from the Egyptians.

previously you stated:

Momma Angel wrote:

Do you think if the Israelites just crossed over a marsh that the Egyptians couldn't drive their chariots through it would have the same meaning?

With all due respect, you seem to be teetering on contradiction here.

As for the difference, crossing the Red Sea vs. crossing a reedy swamp would have a different meaning. If it did not then Christians would not be concerned about it. As for the secular historian, it matters greatly because they want to know the truth.

Momma Angel wrote:

If all the Bibles in the world were destroyed that would just mean the books themselves were destroyed. The Word of God is not just in a written book. It is in the hearts of those that love the Lord. So, I would believe exactly the same thing I believe now.

Hmm. Is it in the hearts of those that love the Lord word for word? What I am asking is what it means to be a Christian sans Bible. Turning to your heart to find the word of God is a great answer! But it does not begin to explain what that means or what a Christian would believe. Is the word transcribed little by little as your faith increases? Are we born with it completely transcribed and then either keep it or loose it? Stating you would believe the same exact thing leaves the question wanting.

Momma Angel wrote:

Again, I believe the Bible is divinly protected by God. I do not believe that any of His true message is missing because of translation errors. If a word or two had been (not saying it has) mistranslated, I don't believe it would be anything that could or would change the basis of the Word of God.

I am impressed by the Bibles consistency given it's history. But the Red Sea vs. Reedy Swamp is just a small example of some of the things that the Bible could potentially be incorrect about. The Discovery Channel documentary's primary claim is that Moses lead a rebellion against the Pharaoh and that the Pharaoh's son was killed in that battle, not by a plague as the Bible states.

Kind Regards
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 05:35 pm
jstark Wrote:

Quote:
With all due respect, you seem to be teetering on contradiction here.

As for the difference, crossing the Red Sea vs. crossing a reedy swamp would have a different meaning. If it did not then Christians would not be concerned about it. As for the secular historian, it matters greatly because they want to know the truth.

I am not teetering here. I merely pointed out a couple of different things. The main point of the whole story is that God delivered the Israelites from the hands of the Egyptians and He did that by leading them and performing miracles. Yes, parting of the sea shows His divinity and power of performing miracles. But, the main point of the story is God delivered His people.

I was trying to point out that had they just crossed a sea of reeds it wouldn't explain God's power in this situation. But, on the other hand, if someone believes they crossed a sea of reeds, it does not take away from the fact that God delivered the Israelites. It can be looked at in two ways, but the story is the same. I may not be explaining that very well and I apologize if I am not.

jstark Wrote:

Quote:
Hmm. Is it in the hearts of those that love the Lord word for word? What I am asking is what it means to be a Christian sans Bible. Turning to your heart to find the word of God is a great answer! But it does not begin to explain what that means or what a Christian would believe. Is the word transcribed little by little as your faith increases? Are we born with it completely transcribed and then either keep it or loose it? Stating you would believe the same exact thing leaves the question wanting.

It is in our hearts word for word if we memorize it. Do you mean as if we never had the Bible or if it was taken away? I can answer that section question better if you tell me which you mean. My faith increases the more I draw closer to God and His word. No, we are not born with the Bible imprinted in our hearts and minds. We study and learn and we memorize the Word so we can live by it.

Well, I am in disagreement with what the Discovery Channel thinks about Moses killing the pharoah's son. That's not what the Bible says. It does not say it was pharoah's son and it does not say it was. However, it does say that he was watching Hebrews at hard labor and not a single thing about it being in battle. The Bible says that pharoah's son was killed when the firstborn of the Egyptians were killed.

Quote:
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 05:46 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

I was trying to point out that had they just crossed a sea of reeds it wouldn't explain God's power in this situation. But, on the other hand, if someone believes they crossed a sea of reeds, it does not take away from the fact that God delivered the Israelites. It can be looked at in two ways, but the story is the same. I may not be explaining that very well and I apologize if I am not.

Exclamation We are in complete agreement here! Although I suspect not for the same reasons.

Momma Angel wrote:
Do you mean as if we never had the Bible or if it was taken away?

I mean if it was taken away. I doubt Christians would exist in any recognizable form if the Bible never existed.

Momma Angel wrote:

Well, I am in disagreement with what the Discovery Channel thinks about Moses killing the pharoah's son. That's not what the Bible says. It does not say it was pharoah's son and it does not say it was. However, it does say that he was watching Hebrews at hard labor and not a single thing about it being in battle. The Bible says that pharoah's son was killed when the firstborn of the Egyptians were killed.

I don't think the DC program is talking about that chapter in Exodus. I think they are referring to events that are outside the scope of the Bible. As in things that happend but were not recorded. The verses in Exodus you mentioned remain intact.

Kind Regards
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 06:08 pm
jstark Wrote:

Quote:
I don't think the DC program is talking about that chapter in Exodus. I think they are referring to events that are outside the scope of the Bible. As in things that happend but were not recorded. The verses in Exodus you mentioned remain intact.

I am not sure what you mean here. Can you please explain this?

I would still believe exactly what I believe if the Bible was taken away. Reading and studying the Bible is only part of drawing closer to God.
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:27 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
jstark Wrote:

Quote:

I am not sure what you mean here. Can you please explain this?

[snip]

The Discover Channel documentary is claiming archeological evidence for a jewish revolt against the Egyptians. Moses led the jews in a battle in which Rameses II's son was killed. There is no Biblical account of the events they believe happend here. If there was indeed a revolt that Moses led, the Bible does not mention it.

The verses in Exodus about Moses killing the Egyptian have nothing to do with the revolt or the killing of Rameses II's son in battle. The Egyptian slain in Exodus is probably just some Egyptian slave handler or something.

Kind Regards
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:30 pm
jstark,

Well, I told you Moses did not kill Pharoah's son in a battle. I am the one that told you it was another Hebrew. Moses did not lead the Jews in a battle with the Egyptians. I really feel that if Moses had led the Jews in a battle against the Egyptians it would have been in the Bible.

In the Bible it says no man is to take away or add to the Bible. It looks like an awful lot of adding going on here to me.
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:44 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
jstark,
In the Bible it says no man is to take away or add to the Bible. It looks like an awful lot of adding going on here to me.

I would not call this adding to the Bible. No one is suggesting that the Bible be amended in anyway. If Moses led a rebellion before fleeing across the sea of whatever, it does not seem to be relevant to God. It is however relevant to historians, so they are looking into it.

Regarding the slain Egyptian, the only reason I mention it is because you did. It has nothing to do with what I'm talking about here. As for the DC documentary, I have not seen it yet but hope to soon.

Kind Regards
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:50 pm
Ok, I am confused. The only reason I mentioned about it not being Pharoah's son was because you posted an article about it. I was just telling you what the Bible said about it.

Well, don't you think (wouldn't be logical) that if Moses led a rebellion against the Egyptians it would be pretty important? And I understand that you are not literally putting it in the Bible to add to it; however, the story is being added to here.
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 11:05 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Ok, I am confused. The only reason I mentioned about it not being Pharoah's son was because you posted an article about it. I was just telling you what the Bible said about it.

Well, don't you think (wouldn't be logical) that if Moses led a rebellion against the Egyptians it would be pretty important? And I understand that you are not literally putting it in the Bible to add to it; however, the story is being added to here.

Hehe, let me try and clear it up, if you can bare the repetition.

The Egyptian Moses killed in the Bible is not Rameses son. I don;t know who it is and neither do the archeologists on the DC program.

In the Bible, Rameses son does die from the tenth plague. This is where the Bible mentions Rameses II's son.

What the archeologists in the DC program are saying is that they found Rameses II's sons body, the one mentioned in the Bible. They say that judging from his wounds, he was killed in a battle, not by a plague. They are also taking a broad look at the writings of the events of the time and suggesting that Moses was an Egyptian prince who led a revolt by the Jews against the Pharaoh. This revolt is not mentioned in the Bible. Whether it should be in the Bible or not had it happened I don't know. As you've said, I don't presume to understand why God thinks some things are important and others are not. There is a world of history that is not included in the Bible after all.

Kind Regards
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 11:09 pm
Well, I am glad you cleared that up! I was really confused there for a minute!
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 11:11 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Well, I am glad you cleared that up! I was really confused there for a minute!

Praise the Lord Hallelujah!

-J
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 11:27 pm
It would seem fairly evident that if a son of Pharaoh was found that had died of wounds in battle, then it is not the same son that died in the plague.

Since the Pharaoh of Moses time is not mentioned by name, identifying him with Ramses is speculative to begin with.

Further trying to identify a son of an unnamed Pharaoh who died of plague with a corpse of one of Ramses' sons who died in battle is an attempt at wholesale rewrite of the Biblical story.

Don't look now, but some researcher's bias may be showing.
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 11:30 pm
real life wrote:
It would seem fairly evident that if a son of Pharaoh was found that had died of wounds in battle, then it is not the same son that died in the plague.

Since the Pharaoh of Moses time is not mentioned by name, identifying him with Ramses is speculative to begin with.

Further trying to identify a son of an unnamed Pharaoh who died of plague with a corpse of one of Ramses' sons who died in battle is an attempt at wholesale rewrite of the Biblical story.

Don't look now, but some researcher's bias may be showing.

Having not even seen the documentary in question, nothing about them is showing yet. There is plenty of contraversy about it on the web though.

I hope to be able to watch it in the next few days. I don;t have my hopes up on anything conclusive though.

Kind Regards
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 11:31 pm
Thank you Real Life. I took that article as saying that Moses killed the Pharoah's son instead of the plague being the cause of his death. I thought they were talking about the same pharoah's son. Did I read it wrong? I am thoroughly confused and shall now go to bed!

Sweet dreams everyone.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 12:40 am
Well, if recent history is any guide, most magazine articles and so-called documentaries on Biblical subjects will generally try to draw almost ANY conclusion as long as it is NOT in agreement with the Biblical text.
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 09:25 am
real life wrote:
Well, if recent history is any guide, most magazine articles and so-called documentaries on Biblical subjects will generally try to draw almost ANY conclusion as long as it is NOT in agreement with the Biblical text.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

When a magazine article is created or a documentary is put together for a channel like DC, it gets glitzed up and sensationalized. Of course, the same could be said of the stories in the Bible.

The trick is not to approach the evidence with a preconception of what you think the outcome needs to be.

Truth needs no handmaiden.

Kind Regards
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 10:46 am
jstark,

The truth needs no handmaiden and God needs no other text. He has given us what we need. It is man that is trying to prove or disprove the Bible. It's just the same old thing of man thinking they are superior to God and there is no such things as miracles. IMHO.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 12:10 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
jstark,

The truth needs no handmaiden and God needs no other text. He has given us what we need. It is man that is trying to prove or disprove the Bible. It's just the same old thing of man thinking they are superior to God and there is no such things as miracles. IMHO.

Which brings us back to the old "Well, the bible was written by men." debacle. Rolling Eyes

Is it man thinking he is superior to god, or man thinking he is superior to a series of good fiction writers?

And when was the last time you saw miracle akin to what the bible demonstrates? (praying for no rain on a church softball day doesn't count!)
0 Replies