Genesis Redux

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 05:41 pm
jstark,

Abram got that idea because things like that happened a lot during those times, especially in cultures that did not follow God's laws.

Yes, Abram was wrong in lying and saying that Sarai was his sister. He did do it out of love so that she would be well treated.

God punished Pharaoh because of his sin. God rebukes us all of our individual sins.

I would imagine Pharoah didn't kill him because of that because he probably understood that God was rebuking him for his sin and no one elses.

It's kind of like this, it's not what people do to you that matters. It's what you do with it. If someone sins against you, does it make it right for you to sin because of it?
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 05:49 pm
MA,

I'm confused by what your saying.

Abram says that he lied in order to save himself. As it happens, Sarai is taken by the Pharaoh to be his wife, which is what Abram thought would happen if he told the truth, except he thought he would also be killed.

You say Pharaoh was punished by God for what he did. What did he do? He thought Sarai was Abrams sister. As soon as he found out she was Abram's wife he rebuked them and sent them packing. It seems that Abram should be the one catching a plague here.

-J
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 05:56 pm
Sorry jstark, you are correct. It says he will be treated well for her sake and my life will be spared because of you.

It says: "But the Lord inflicted serious diseases on Pharaoh and his household because of Abram's wife Sarai."

I am going to do a bit of research before I say anything else on this. I don't want to mislead again. I will get back to this.
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 06:07 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Sorry jstark, you are correct. It says he will be treated well for her sake and my life will be spared because of you.

It says: "But the Lord inflicted serious diseases on Pharaoh and his household because of Abram's wife Sarai."

I am going to do a bit of research before I say anything else on this. I don't want to mislead again. I will get back to this.

No problem Smile

Thanks for the corrections.

-J
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 06:19 pm
If I make a mistake, I will correct it as soon as possible. I appreciate your graciousness in understanding. Still reading on the subject.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:28 pm
I'm still having a hard time seeing how this was any of Pharaoh's doing and why the plagues were sent to him. I'm also not seeing anything other that a patriach (Abram) who selfishly used his wife for his own gain.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:32 pm
J_B,

I understand. I am going to the best person I know when it comes to the Bible. As soon as I find an answer to your question, I will post it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 10:36 am
Sarah really was Abraham's sister. (Genesis 20:12)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 12:05 pm
the plot thickens....

So she was his half-sister and his wife. But God clearly thinks of her as Abram's wife. First he sends the plagues to Pharaoh's house, then he causes all the wives and female slaves of Abimelech to become sterile because the men have taken Sarai(h) as their wife.

In the meantime Abraham's justification is that he didn't think God would notice and he's afraid for his own life. Why isn't God coming after Abraham for any of his actions?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 12:06 pm
J_B wrote:
Laughing cute, CR.

Anytime I can help, that's my motto. Cool
0 Replies