GIVING YOUR BODY TO YOUR LOCAL UNIVERSITY

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 10:47 pm
I was guiding our car through the bright rays of a Fall morning in NW Georgia. With some air of elitism, I mentioned the possibility of being buried in the woods, amongst the wild plants. "A community in South Carolina does it on a regular basis, " I said. From the back seat, my wife's friend said, "We have made arrangements for the University to pick up our bodies."

It caught me off guard. This was a Baptist lady of the South. Her husband breathes Georgia football. They had skipped over the step I was proposing and moved onto a non-cost solution.

She said they give you a number to call; anotherwords, all that training re the 911 people, the funeral home, the arrangements...you skip all of that. Wow, that's another $10 to 20 thousand dollars that could go towards my wife's care or the grandchild's education.

Hmmmmm....what are your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 762 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 11:07 pm
After you die, I presume?
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 11:14 pm
Yes Roger, after you die.

Are you the Roger I met in a A2K Florida meetings?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 11:18 pm
Yes.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 09:24 am
Hello out there! What are you going to do with your body?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 09:48 am
My dad donated his body to the University of Texas medical school. I think it's a great idea and I intend to do the same.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 09:55 am
I also will donate my body to our local University. Let the students have something to laugh too. Wink
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 10:04 am
Mapleleaf: Check w/your local medical school. My grandmother did that in 1992 when she died.She died in Mississippi and donated her body to University of Tn Med school for study. They kept her for about 6 months,cremated her when they finished studying her,and shipped her ashes to her daughter,who arranged a memorial service,and had my grandmother's ashes scattered in the countryside around their farm. It might very well be a money-saver for you.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 12:39 pm
exactly, take what you want and put what you don't want out by the curb on trash pick up day.

no really, after they take any organs they may need or want to study, I will be cremated and sprinkled over a special place. Some ashes will be kept on the mantle.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 10:00 pm
Hey Boom,

Jane, I don't remember reading you...thanks for dropping by...you too CT.

It makes sense to me. I'll talk to my wife...she's the one who has kept me going. Of course, it was her best friend in the back seat of the car.
0 Replies