Thank goodness, I'm a pear

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 03:41 pm
predicting heart attack risk ... click

Quote:
Dr. Sharma and colleagues reported that of several measures of obesity, including BMI, the best predictor of heart attack risk is the waist-to-hip ratio.

"It just reinforces what we've known for a long time -- the whole apple-shaped, pear-shaped thing," he said. "What's new here is that BMI falls right out of the equation."

"If you just look at crude data, there is some association, but that's just because people with high BMI tend to have a high waist-to-hip ratio," he said. "If you correct for other risk factors, BMI essentially gives you no information."

On the other hand, he said, there's a smooth increase in risk with increasing waist-to-hip ratio, regardless of BMI.

The Interheart study -- a case-control analysis of acute myocardial infarction -- involved 27,098 participants in 52 countries, the investigators reported.

The study had three key findings, he said:

That BMI does not predict heart attack risk, while waist-to-hip ratio does.

That looking at obesity through this new measure triples the number of people who should be regarded as at risk.

And that the link between increased waist-to-hip ratio and increased heart attack risk is consistently found in all countries and cultures.

"The same rules apply to everybody," he said.

I am positively gleeful about being a pear.
I know an apple I need to have a talk with.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,634 • Replies: 32
No top replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 03:51 pm
This thread is positively fruity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 03:53 pm
And what a pair . . .

Oh . . . you wrote pear . . . nevermind . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 03:55 pm
c'mere you

you need to be pared by a pear

Cool

~~~~~~~~~~

Hey there LTX! you better head off to the New York thread - Noddy's been makin' 'spersions on your get-up.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 04:06 pm
So, how do you get the ratio, and what ought it to be?

(Looking down at fairly indented waist, and biggish hips......)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 05:19 pm
dlowan - from the link

Quote:
In general, he said, people are regarded as being at low risk if their waist-to-hip ratio is less than 0.85 for women and 0.9 for men. The waist is measured between the top of the hip bone and the lower edge of the rib cage without clothing; the hips are measured over light clothing at the widest part of the buttocks.

Dr. Sharma and colleagues showed last year with Interheart data that abdominal obesity accounts for about 90% of the risk for myocardial infarction around the world, with eight other risk factors -- including cigarette smoking, diabetes, poor diet, and lack of exercise -- accounting for the rest

sooo hmmmm <trying to think of an easy math number>

40" hips and a waist less than (40 x .85 =) 34" is a good proportion for women

for men it would be 40" hips and a waist less than (40 x .9 = ) 36"
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 07:00 pm
So, I need to find a way to put on a little at the hips?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 10:04 pm
now there's an interesting angle

have you got a belly left after all your bike-riding, roger?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 10:26 pm
Woo-hoo, I just squeak by at .81! That is good news.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 10:41 pm
Me, I'm a banana. Is that good?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 10:45 pm
.77 here

I definitely go in, in the middle.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 11:06 pm
Some, some, but not like a year and a half ago. Nice legs, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 08:13 am
Put your pants back on.

Please.
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 08:37 am
Yay! I am at .69!!! Am I like one of "those rap guys girlfriends" (if you don't get the Sir Mix a Lot reference here, I'm sorry, but I won't be breaking out my incredibly uncool version of "I Like Big Butts and I Cannot Lie")
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 08:39 am
Wait a minute, by this standard...somebody could have a 50 inch waist, and a 63 inch hip and not be overweight. I'm kinda skeptical.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 09:34 am
daniellejean, this study wassn't about a measure of overweight - it was about the health implications of different body types.

It's not really new news - as a number of studies have talked about the illnesses that are tied to fat carried around the waist over the years - but it's one of the first studies that clearly says the BMI is not relevant to health assessment - for some illnesses.

A couple of decades ago, I had a downstairs neighbour who was about 150 - 200 pounds overweight - but his belly was proportional to his hips - and the doctors always marvelled about how healthy G was - perfect blood pressure - no cholesterol probs. This study makes a bit more sense of the results.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 10:48 am
Are you guys working with some equation to get your numbers? I haven't made it through my coffee, yet, help me out - where is the info I need to use to figure out my fruit type?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 11:05 am
l'k, you divide your waist measurement by your hip measurement to get your number.

i.e. a 26" waist / 38" hips = .68 <that would be extremely pearish>

a 30" waist / 36" hips = .83 <very slightly pearish>

The infamous muffin tops discussed on another thread are more likely to be apples.

ie. 26" waist / 24" hips = 1.1 oh yeah, muffin tops are lil apples
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 11:07 am
littlek wrote:
Are you guys working with some equation to get your numbers? I haven't made it through my coffee, yet, help me out - where is the info I need to use to figure out my fruit type?

Tofu is not a fruit K.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 11:13 am
<given what Diane has said over the years, I'd guess dys is an apple>
0 Replies