Cholesterol level questions

DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 10:40 am
OK. I don't know what my cholesterol level is. But I see all of these ads for Lipitor and whatnot.

For years we've heard "cholesterol is bad" and "lower your cholesterol."

But is cholesterol really bad for you, or is it used as an indirect measurement for other health risks?

I guess my question is this: if one takes a drug to lower one's cholesterol, yet continues an unhealthy lifestyle of eating junk and not exercising, will one really see a health benefit?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 864 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Chai

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 11:07 am
cholesterol is necessary in the human body. as a matter of fact, the main area of cholesterol concentration in the human body is the brain (which, BTW is one reason why people should not eat anything but very small quantities of animal brains)

High density cholesterol (HDL) is good for you, it's the Low density cholesterol (LDL) which is bad.
LDL is what "sticks" to your arteries, HDL actually helps in "unsticking" this LDL, and keeps your arteries clear.

Exercising is a double good thing, as it not only lowers your LDL's, but increases you HDL. Watching your diet tends to just lower your LDL's

Medication does need to be joined with lifestyle changes for maximum benefit, but even without that, a benefit can be seen.

Some people just genetically have very high levels. A friend of mine, a nurse, runs, is a vegetarian, is thin, takes medication, but his total level is still near 300.

Next time you go to the doctor DD, get your level taken....It's important not to not only know your total level, but the ratio of HDL to LDL as well.

Without looking it up, I can't give you an exact figure, but there is a ratio you want to stay under.

does this help?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 12:27 pm
Well, I knew most of that. My question relates to whether a high LDL level is bad in and of itself, or is it a symptom of an underlying problem. And do cholesterol-lowering (or LDL-lowering) drugs result in a real benefit, or are they simply masking a symptom?

(Or both, like a cold "remedy" that makes you feel better until the cold goes away; it relieves nasty symptoms even though it doesn't cure the cold.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 01:38 pm
It is a problem in itself, same as high blood sugar and high blood pressure. If lots of fiber, medication, and exercise lower it (them) it has treated the primary problem.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 02:05 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Well, I knew most of that. My question relates to whether a high LDL level is bad in and of itself, or is it a symptom of an underlying problem. And do cholesterol-lowering (or LDL-lowering) drugs result in a real benefit, or are they simply masking a symptom?

(Or both, like a cold "remedy" that makes you feel better until the cold goes away; it relieves nasty symptoms even though it doesn't cure the cold.)

oh, sorry Embarrassed care you join me for a bowl of crisco?

I've got an extra can somewheres.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 07:07 pm
At least lard isn't crawling with those gosh darn transfattwhacallits. Neither is butter.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 07:19 pm
Re: Cholesterol level questions
DrewDad wrote:
OK. I don't know what my cholesterol level is. But I see all of these ads for Lipitor and whatnot.

For years we've heard "cholesterol is bad" and "lower your cholesterol."

But is cholesterol really bad for you, or is it used as an indirect measurement for other health risks?

I guess my question is this: if one takes a drug to lower one's cholesterol, yet continues an unhealthy lifestyle of eating junk and not exercising, will one really see a health benefit?

Here are a couple of facts.

1. I have high LDL. I am taking Lipitor and other drugs and have for some years.
2. Two years ago I had a minor heart attack and had angioplasty.

From that I concluded on a personal level that high LDL wasn't a good thing and I'm doing my best to get and keep it down. For me it's not an academic exercise. I suggest you get your LDL checked especially if there's a history of it in the family.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 11:50 am
roger wrote:
At least lard isn't crawling with those gosh darn transfattwhacallits. Neither is butter.

Sorry to burst your butter Roger, but....

Crisco, by weight is approximately 1/3 trans fat.
Butter, by weight is trans fat free, however, about 70% of it is saturated.

here are more foods, and # of grams of trans (hydrogenated) fat.

Cinnamon bun, Entenmann's 1.6
Pie -- 1/8 pie 4
Frosted cake, 1 slice 3
Large chocolate chip cookies 1.5
Muffin, 3 oz. 3
Pound cake, 1 slice 3
Donuts 3
Pound cake, fat free, 1 slice 0.2

Breakfast Bars and Cereals Amount of Trans-Fats (grams)
Pop tarts 1.4
Granola bars, chewy, chocolate chip 0.6

Margarines, Dressings & Spreads Amount of Trans-Fats (grams)
Vegetable shortening, 2 Tbsp 7-9
Margarine, stick 5-8
Margarine, tub 1-4
Ranch dressing 1.5

Cheese cracker sandwiches (about 6) 2.8
Snack crackers (about 6 crackers) 2.6
Peanut butter cracker sandwiches (6) 1.2
Saltine type crackers (about 6) 1

Taco Shells, baked, 3 oz 8
White flour buns, 1 bun/roll 0.8
White or wheat bread, 2 slices 0.2-0.6
Dinner roll, 1 0.1
Microwave popped corn, 3.5 oz bag 8.8
Candy, 3 oz 6.9
Tortilla chips, 3 oz 4.1
Microwave popped corn, lowfat, 3.5 oz bag 3.7
Potato chips, 3 oz 2.3

Marie Callender's chicken pot pie 16
Pepperidge Farm, chicken pot pie 13

French fries, 3 oz 2-3
Gorton's Fish Sticks, 3 oz 3
Turkey breast, 3 oz 0.2

Commercial Fast Food French fries, 3 oz 1-5

Tips to Spot Hydrogenated Fat/Trans Fat in Foods
Trans fatty acids are also called hydrogenated fats. When you add hydrogen to liquid vegetable oil and then add pressure, the result is a stiffer fat, like the fat found in a can of Crisco. Trans fats are also called hydrogenated fats. Public health experts warn that these kinds of fats clog arteries and cause obesity.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 01:40 pm
Fooled you, Chai Tea. I didn't say Crisco was lard. Here's a punch line; maybe you know the joke.

Boy, Crisco ain't lard. Crisco is SHORTIN'
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 08:03 pm
Definetly get your cholesterol checked. If it is high, work on getting it down.
Like someone else here said, it's not an academic exercise. It's serious business.

Some folks can do everything right, and still have high cholesterol. That doesn't mean they should be sitting eating McDonald's every night though.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 08:00 am
roger wrote:
Fooled you, Chai Tea. I didn't say Crisco was lard. Here's a punch line; maybe you know the joke.

Boy, Crisco ain't lard. Crisco is SHORTIN'

Why shouldn't you use Crisco as a sex lubricant?

Because it's shortin'

ez japanezy. I am married to the king of corny sex jokes, I have forgotten more than most people have ever heard.

Do you know the one about the young bull and the old bull standing up on the hill?

Unforntunately, I could not type the punch line here.
0 Replies