How to improve English listening skill?

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 10:35 pm
Hey, the topic is my question. Do you have any strategies to improve English listening skill? I think that may weakest skill! Thanks for all your help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 992 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:45 pm
I was in Education. Iamb sure others will some more up-to-date suggestions.

I do well by using a recording tape or CD...I like to pause or replay short sections...to paint a picture in my mind of the action. Once you visualize a section, you can play the next section of the tape...that way you can confirm your thinking...perhaps say a word out loud that you now understand. I frequently use recorded books...sometimes with the book itself. It depends on whether the reader is reading the exact words that are printed in the original book...or whether the reader is using a shorten version.

I find that my publications provide such materials. The Association for the Blind usually maintains a library of such materials. In Georgia, USA, our neighbor libraries provide such materials.
0 Replies

TammyBaby

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 11:18 am
Thanks for your sharing! I'll try to improve my listening skill. I think it's terrible! Sad
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 10:52 pm
Why do you feel this way? What situations in your life bother you?
0 Replies

upstudio

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 05:39 pm
Practise more...
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 10:50 pm
Always a wise suggestion...
0 Replies

zandunga

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 12:29 pm
This is a great way to improve both your listening and spelling in one swift stroke....and it doesn't even feel like work: closed captioning.

Anytime you watch a US TV show, movie, documentary, etc, turn on the CC or display option on your TV. They all have it as a service for the deaf. By reading what is being said at the same time you hear it, you learn new words, get a better grip on what is being said, and improve your spelling.

It may sound silly, but it has really helped me pick up on a few things I didn't know....and I'm a native speaker! English is not my father's first language and he has gained much from watching everything with captions...you may not notice it happening, but over a period of time, it really does make a difference. And it's easy as hell, because you're being entertained.
0 Replies