Racial Slurs OK during campaign say Black Dems

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:38 pm
Quote:
Black Democratic leaders in Maryland say that racially tinged attacks against Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele in his bid for the U.S. Senate are fair because he is a conservative Republican.
Such attacks against the first black man to win a statewide election in Maryland include pelting him with Oreo cookies during a campaign appearance, calling him an "Uncle Tom" and depicting him as a black-faced minstrel on a liberal Web log.
Operatives for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) also obtained a copy of his credit report -- the only Republican candidate so targeted.
But black Democrats say there is nothing wrong with "pointing out the obvious."
"There is a difference between pointing out the obvious and calling someone names," said a campaign spokesman for Kweisi Mfume, a Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate and former president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
State Sen. Lisa A. Gladden, a black Baltimore Democrat, said she does not expect her party to pull any punches, including racial jabs at Mr. Steele, in the race to replace retiring Democratic U.S. Sen. Paul S. Sarbanes.
"Party trumps race, especially on the national level," she said. "If you are bold enough to run, you have to take whatever the voters are going to give you. It's democracy, perhaps at its worse, but it is democracy."
Delegate Salima Siler Marriott, a black Baltimore Democrat, said Mr. Steele invites comparisons to a slave who loves his cruel master or a cookie that is black on the outside and white inside because his conservative political philosophy is, in her view, anti-black.
"Because he is a conservative, he is different than most public blacks, and he is different than most people in our community," she said. "His politics are not in the best interest of the masses of black people."
source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro/20051101-104932-4054r.htm

It's a bit of an insult to Rosa Park's memory that leaders of the Black community and Black Democrats today support some of the same degrading racial tactics she fought against 30 years ago.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,006 • Replies: 37
No top replies

snood

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:53 pm
Re: Racial Slurs OK during campaign say Black Dems
slkshock7 wrote:
Quote:
Black Democratic leaders in Maryland say that racially tinged attacks against Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele in his bid for the U.S. Senate are fair because he is a conservative Republican.
Such attacks against the first black man to win a statewide election in Maryland include pelting him with Oreo cookies during a campaign appearance, calling him an "Uncle Tom" and depicting him as a black-faced minstrel on a liberal Web log.
Operatives for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) also obtained a copy of his credit report -- the only Republican candidate so targeted.
"There is a difference between pointing out the obvious and calling someone names," said a campaign spokesman for Kweisi Mfume, a Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate and former president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
State Sen. Lisa A. Gladden, a black Baltimore Democrat, said she does not expect her party to pull any punches, including racial jabs at Mr. Steele, in the race to replace retiring Democratic U.S. Sen. Paul S. Sarbanes.
"Party trumps race, especially on the national level," she said. "If you are bold enough to run, you have to take whatever the voters are going to give you. It's democracy, perhaps at its worse, but it is democracy."
Delegate Salima Siler Marriott, a black Baltimore Democrat, said Mr. Steele invites comparisons to a slave who loves his cruel master or a cookie that is black on the outside and white inside because his conservative political philosophy is, in her view, anti-black.
"Because he is a conservative, he is different than most public blacks, and he is different than most people in our community," she said. "His politics are not in the best interest of the masses of black people."
source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro/20051101-104932-4054r.htm

It's a bit of an insult to Rosa Park's memory that leaders of the Black community and Black Democrats today support some of the same degrading racial tactics she fought against 30 years ago.

What's an insult is the way the cons try to co-opt Democratic, Liberal icons and twist them into somehow representing their perverted "compassion".
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:55 pm
How the hell do some threads get featured? Really.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:58 pm
Got me Cyclo. However I do find this quite humorous.

Apparently, those who seem to want to run for public office these days do not have the education or ability to debate issues. So then only thing a stupid person can do is call someone names.

Apparently, these democrats in MD have reached this very low point and should be ignored by the mainstream.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:01 pm
woiyo wrote:

Apparently, those who seem to want to run for public office these days do not have the education or ability to debate issues. So then only thing a stupid person can do is call someone names.

Apparently, these democrats in MD have reached this very low point and should be ignored by the mainstream.

Yeah, there's that possibility. Then there's the possibility that the republican candidate IS a clarence-thomas-boolickin-hankyheaded-sellout-uncle-tom -coon. There's all kinds of possibilities.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:04 pm
snood wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Yeah, there's that possibility. Then there's the possibility that the republican candidate IS a clarence-thomas-boolickin-hankyheaded-sellout-uncle-tom -coon. There's all kinds of possibilities.

You can not even describe the characteristics of whatever you just called the Republican candidate. Give it a try anyway, I'm interested.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:07 pm
I consider anyone in public life fair game for such comments in private conversation. I consider that any such comments in the public forum are unacceptable, and demean those who make the remarks, not the object of a racist remark.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:11 pm
First, consider the source. Second, carefully read the article and notice how the most inflammatory things that are attributed to people are not in quotes. Example:

Quote:
"Because he is a conservative, he is different than most public blacks, and he is different than most people in our community," she said.

What she actually is quoted as saying is not as inflammatory as what the author asserts she said. Not that it means that there wasn't some black on black racism during the race -- I don't know enough about it to say -- but this article was clearly written in such a way as to provoke exactly the outrage expressed by the poster.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:38 pm
I am not going to come out of any discussion about today's popular conservative blacks (Sowell, Thomas, Williams to name the few I can off the top), as a particularly enlightened and socially appropriate individual. I despise them. they may as well be chickens campaigning for Col Sanders (not an original quip).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 04:01 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
First, consider the source. Second, carefully read the article and notice how the most inflammatory things that are attributed to people are not in quotes. Example:

Quote:
"Because he is a conservative, he is different than most public blacks, and he is different than most people in our community," she said.

What she actually is quoted as saying is not as inflammatory as what the author asserts she said. Not that it means that there wasn't some black on black racism during the race -- I don't know enough about it to say -- but this article was clearly written in such a way as to provoke exactly the outrage expressed by the poster.

Yep, it is a very gutter journalism piece, full of invitations to believe what is not true. As You say, consider the source!

That being said, HAD the things alluded to been said, I would think it wrong.

We cannot (justly) complain about racist slurs then do it ourselves, no matter who we are, in public debate.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 04:11 pm
Wasn't it Aristotle that was looking for a just man?

Or was it Socrates? Plato?

Wonder if he ever found him?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 04:14 pm
Diogenes . . .
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 04:16 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 04:21 pm
I believe he came up dry, Snood . . .
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 04:27 pm
Re: Racial Slurs OK during campaign say Black Dems
Quote:

Mr. Mfume is also a former Congressman, which the article neglects to mention. Anyway, it doesn't sound to me like the unnamed campaign spokesman, presumably black, condones racial slurs; but that's a quite a leap the article makes, from this remark, to conclude that black Democrats see nothing wrong with "pointing out the obvious," and preceding this remark with all the instances of unnamed individuals using racial slurs & the like, to give the impression that "pointing out the obvious" is a euphemism for making slurs, strikes me as poor journalism.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:10 pm
Yeah, me too - but if anyone is in the mood to hear a black hurl some gratuitous slurs at the black conservatives, I'm your man!

Laughing
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:37 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Quote:

You'll note that the quoted speaker also doesn't go out of their way to denounce the use of racial slurs and instead blames the slurred person.

If this were a case of rape and someone blamed the woman for dressing provocatively I suspect you wouldn't be so dismissive.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 10:09 pm
Well, that assumes that the quoted person is being quoted in context, which I have no reason to believe they are.

But I agree with dlowan, if a man is being slimed with racial slurs it is inexcusable. So I'm not being dismissive at all, but only pointing out that someone wants us to be all outraged over this and is doing some pretty interesting cut and paste journalism in order to make it happen.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 12:39 am
I think we must be quite careful before we cast aspersions on the people who excoriate Mr. Steele.

We must really be more sensitive and look at the big picture. In 1998 Louis Farrrakhan spoke at Penn. Several Jewish organizations protested. The President at Penn at the time, Sheldon Hackney, quite correctly pointed out that although Farrakhan's statements were racist and Anti-Semitic, in an academic communitym open expression is the most important value and we can't have freedom of speech only part of the time.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 07:51 am
Should I assume then that if Howard Dean chose to characterize Steele as an "Oreo" or a "clarence-thomas-boolickin-hankyheaded-sellout-uncle-tom -coon", that would be OK, because its simply "pointing out the obvious"?

I'm sorry but I don't see any difference in black on black racism and white on black racism. Either way you are characterizing a black man as somehow lower than yourself. Steele is a victim of racism no matter the color of the skin throwing the disparaging remarks.
0 Replies