[Help]Who can help me polish this paragraph?

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 04:14 pm
Who can help me polish this paragraph? Thanks a lot! Embarrassed

Quote:
I got up a little later than usual on Sunday morning. I washed and had a quick breakfast. Then I started going to town to buy the dictionary recommended by the teacher. At the school gate I saw Tom. I asked him if he was going to town too, and he said that he was. So we decided to go together. All the buses were crowded. We had to wait for a long time at the bus stop before we could get on a bus. An hour later we got off the bus at a busy street. There were three bookstores there. We went to the first one and didn't find the dictionary. Then we went to the second one and the shop assistant said that the dictionary was sold out. I finally bought the dictionary at the third bookstore. After that Tom and I went to other stores and bought various things. We returned to school just in time for lunch.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 855 • Replies: 5
No top replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 04:28 pm
Re: [Help]Who can help me polish this paragraph?
ilovequestions wrote:
Who can help me polish this paragraph? Thanks a lot! Embarrassed

Quote:
I got up a little later than usual on Sunday morning. I washed and had a quick breakfast. Then I started going to town to buy the dictionary recommended by the teacher. At the school gate I saw Tom. I asked him if he was going to town too, and he said that he was. So we decided to go together. All the buses were crowded. We had to wait for a long time at the bus stop before we could get on a bus. An hour later we got off the bus at a busy street. There were three bookstores there. We went to the first one and didn't find the dictionary. Then we went to the second one and the shop assistant said that the dictionary was sold out. I finally bought the dictionary at the third bookstore. After that Tom and I went to other stores and bought various things. We returned to school just in time for lunch.

Just on question - what's the context of the exercise?

"Then I started going to town." That phrase probably wouldn't be used. You are more likely to read "I left home to get the bus to town so I could buy the dictionary recommended by the teacher."

Are you writing in a particular style? The language is a bit formal and slightly stilted so if you wanted to write in a more colloquial or relaxed fashion you would adopt a different style. If you could advise the context of your work it might give us a chance to give a bit more specific and useful advice.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:08 pm
Quote:
I got up a little later than usual on Sunday morning, washed and had a quick breakfast. Then, I left the house and headed toward town to buy the dictionary recommended by my (what course?) teacher. At the school gate I saw Tom. He was headed to town, as well, so he joined me. All the buses were crowded, forcing us to wait for a long time at the stop. An hour later, we got off the bus at a busy street, where we discovered three bookstores. We went to the first one and didn't find the dictionary. The shop assistant in the second bookstore said that the dictionary was sold out. I finally bought the dictionary at the third bookstore. After that Tom and I went to other stores and bought various things. We returned to school just in time for lunch.

While this is better, some details thrown in and a little sprucing would make it much better.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 01:36 am
I couldn't quite put my finger on it but that's it. More active voice, less passive voice.
0 Replies

ilovequestions

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 05:25 pm
Thank you all.

This is written by one of my nephews who wants me to polish it.

At the first glance, this paragraph is well written and grammatically correct. But on the whole, it sounds a little boring. The sentence patterns are similar, making the global effect stifled.

Can we possibly make it more interesting in terms of its sentence structure? More variety?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 08:49 pm
At the first glance, this paragraph is well written and grammatically correct. But on the whole, it sounds a little boring. The sentence patterns are similar, making the global effect stifled.

Can we possibly make it more interesting in terms of its sentence structure? More variety?

Definitely. As goodfielder said--pretend your writing is describing a scene for someone. You want them to see it.

Lash wrote:
Quote:
I got up a little later than usual on Sunday morning, washed and had a quick breakfast.
Quote:
Why did you get up later than usual? What did you have for breakfast? Did you like it?

Then, I left the house and headed toward town to buy the dictionary recommended by my (what course?) teacher.
Quote:
Would a description of the teacher be interesting? The class? How you're doing in that class? Maybe, maybe not. The tone you want to set with the piece would lead you to the areas you should embellish. Maybe he wants to talk more descriptively about the people on the buses, or what was on his mind during the bus ride...

At the school gate I saw Tom.
Quote:
Who is Tom? What do you think of him? Would we enjoy a tale of your last bit of mischief with ole Tom?

He was headed to town, as well, so he joined me. All the buses were crowded, forcing us to wait for a long time at the stop. An hour later, we got off the bus at a busy street, where we discovered three bookstores. We went to the first one and didn't find the dictionary. The shop assistant in the second bookstore said that the dictionary was sold out. I finally bought the dictionary at the third bookstore. After that Tom and I went to other stores and bought various things.
Quote:
Various things.... VARIOUS THINGS!!?? Don't let your nephew get away with 'various things.'

We returned to school just in time for lunch.

It's great that you're helping your nephew with his writing.
0 Replies