Prednizone and Poison Ivy

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:11 am
Region, none of those pictures in your link were particularly good. The one of the bush looked most like what we get, but the photo was small enough that it's just an undifferentiated mass of green, can't tell much from it.

This is a pretty good pic:

http://www.iit.edu/~travel/witpoivy.jpg

The leaves aren't always serrated, though. Sometimes they're more like:

http://faculty.etsu.edu/mcdowelt/images%20used%202001%5CPoison%20ivy.JPG

This time of year, the developed leaves are a matte deep green, and the brand-new ones are shiny and sometimes reddish.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:59 am

Phoenix and soz,
thanx again for your help and advice Smile

i'll be on the lookout for this 3-leaf demon plant, as well as any weird side-effects next week...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 10:07 am
(I'd clicked five photos on your link, they happened to be the wrong ones -- "it climbs," "it creeps," and "where it grows" are all pretty good.)

Good luck!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 10:50 am
One thing that I learned from http://poisonivy.aesir.com/ is that Virginia Creeper (which we definitely do have) can cause some allergic reactions, too. I'm not saying that we don't have PI, but there's definitely VC and it also, er, creeps.

Oh, and, ahem.
    Poison Ivy (Lieber/Stoller) She comes on like a rose And everybody knows She'll get you in dutch You can look but you'd better not touch Poison ivy, poison ivy Well late at night when you're sleeping Poison ivy comes a creeping all around She's pretty as a daisy But look out man she's crazy She'll really do you in If you let her get under your skin Poison ivy, poison ivy Well late at night when you're sleeping Poison ivy comes a creeping all around Measles make you bumpy and mumps'll make you lumpy and chicken pox'll make you jump and twitch A common cold'll cool you but whooping cough'll fool you but poison ivy's gonna make you itch You're gonna need an ocean of calamine lotion You'll be scratching like a hound the minute you start to mess around Poison ivy, poison ivy Well late at night when you're sleeping Poison ivy comes a creeping all around Measles make you bumpy and mumps'll make you lumpy and chicken pox'll make you jump and twitch A common cold'll cool you and whooping cough'll fool you but poison ivy's gonna make you itch You're gonna need an ocean of calamine lotion You'll be scratching like a hound the minute you start to mess around Poison ivy, poison ivy Well late at night when you're sleeping Poison ivy comes a creeping all around La la la la La la la la
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 10:54 am

maybe the stuff creeping up the west side of the house is virginia creeper...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 10:57 am
We have virginia creeper, too, VC and PI seem to like the same conditions...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 11:14 am

thing is -- i've been dealing with this creeper for 11 years, but this is the 1st time i've had a reaction like this.

could it be more potent this year because of all the extra rain?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:59 am

prednisone, day 5: spots are vanishing, no itching... all is well Smile
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 06:54 pm
I don't believe that the potency of poison ivy changes due to more rain or other environmental events but your degree of allergic reaction does acording to subsequent exposures.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 03:32 pm

does that mean i'll gradually build up an immunity to it?
hope so.

i'm done taking the stuff.
it appears to have been a success.

unfortunately, further yardwork beckons Confused
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 04:00 pm
Other 'way round, unfortunately -- it gets worse each time.

Wish I lived down the block and could go take a look for you, I can spot poison ivy at 50 paces by now. (Always possible that it wasn't actually poison ivy, though it does sound like it.)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 04:55 pm

Shocked

ok, thats it.
no more yardwork for RP...

soz, me too... instead what i'll do is grab a camera, shoot a few suspicious lookin' suspects, and post the evidence here.

stand by -- it'll take a few days...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 09:18 pm
Excellent. I'll look forward to it, hope I can help.
0 Replies