Stress and Illness/Looking for Chart

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 02:16 pm
Some years ago, a doctor postulated that certain amount of stressful life events, (the stress could be either negative or positive) could cause illness. He devised a chart where each event was given a numerical value, based on what he perceived was the magnitude of the event.

For instance, having a baby, moving, loss of a spouse, getting a new job, were examples of the kinds of stressors that, if a person had enough of them, would cause illness. As I remember, the doctor claimed that anyone who amassed over 300 stressor points in a year, was at great risk for a serious illness.

I was looking for the chart on the net, and for the life of me, cannot remember the name of the work, and cannot find it. Do any of you know what the chart is called, and could you give me a link?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 859 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 02:26 pm
Ah-ha!

Stress Scale.

http://www.teachhealth.com/#stressscale

I'm rather gleeful at out researching you on one of one hundred topics.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 02:40 pm
Yoiks.
I just came out at close to 500.
No wonder my cortisol levels are freakish.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 03:10 pm
Noddy- Thanks so much for finding that scale for me. Actually, it was for my son, who is now in the hospital with asthma and possible pneumonia. He asked me about the chart, and postulated that his score is probably up the roof!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 03:18 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Yoiks.
I just came out at close to 500.
No wonder my cortisol levels are freakish.

I am convinced that stress, and how each person reacts to it, has a tremendous effect on a person's health.

When I was under a great deal of stress, I used to meditate. I found that just listening to calming new age music while doing this, really helped to relieve some of the anxiety.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 04:43 pm
I'm hoping that I'm going to be able to return to swimming on a very regular basis in the next few weeks.

That should really really help ... but, today?

<cough sneeze cough>
0 Replies