Anyone own/drive a Chrysler Crossfire?

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:31 pm
That sucks.

I know Chrysler doesn't typically have great service. I have to bring mine in too...it's got a light whine from the rear end at above 70mph.

Still fun as hell to drive.
0 Replies

uhhh

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 04:21 am
Hi there
Just wanna add my two cents worth, that i am a proud Crossfire driver.....expecting problems just like with any other car, i have been driving it loving it, enjoying the envy from others thanks, i drive a white one roadster......damn that car is yummy!!!!! yall talking from jealousy!!!!!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 04:26 am
@Slappy Doo Hoo,
I deove one a couple years ago. A friend owns a Chrysler dealership and he had a couple . I found the steering to be tight and very responsive. It handled very much like an old WE jag in that you could feel all the weight but it would outrespond that inertia. On the corbers you could get it to squeal even though they say they have all the idiot tech that prevents serious oversteer.

IT WAS CRAMPED THOUGH. I actually like the Saturn Skye better, its more like a real sportscar rather than a wanna be corvette.
0 Replies

brbj

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 08:18 am
@hamburger,
I have a 04 Chrysler crossfire and I absolutely love it as I am sure you will. The all season tires usually run about a thousand dollars for a set of four not to bad . I continue to enjoy this vehicle everyday, the Mercedes power definitely kicks out in that bad boy along with a look and feel like no other have fun!!
0 Replies

MrPedalsWorth

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 03:15 pm
@Slappy Doo Hoo,
Slappy,

I have owned one of these for almost 4 years. These HANDLE great!

I've done a lot of research on these cars. The Crossfire was built on the SLK 320. The R170 platform. I don't know what the guy earlier was talking about, but these cars are more like 80% Mercedes parts.

Here is the plus side to this platform. It was designed from the beginning to be a convertible compliant platform. With a V8. In other words, to be rigged and handle with the roof off. AND on top of that, it was built to use the removable "hard top". Do you see that big partition behind the seats? Thats so the chassis wont twist, and the folding hard top will always seal when put back in place. With out the body twisting. Why is that so important? Chrysler, put that long slopping permanent roof on top of this chassis, to get the Crossfire, AMC Marlin "look". Inadvertently making the R170 chassis on the crossfire one of the stiffest car platforms ever made. It is been tested and it IS a stiffer chassis then a Porsche 911. That coupled with the wide low profile tires, make it one of the best handling cars (stock) out there for a fraction of the price. Just put on some nice track tires and, vola, 1G cornering! I have the same car as you. V6 manual. I just swapped in the SRT-6 brakes, coil springs and stabilizer bars. This car will go through corners SO fast. And its fairly light at around 2900lbs. It will scare you long before you reach the cornering limits of this car.

The down side to this car?

Mainly the recirculating ball steering box instead of a rack and pinion. I've never driven a car with a rack. So it feels better then any car I've driven. I'm a part time wanna-be racer. You might feel the difference? As you have driven a lot nicer cars.

The N/A Crossfire is quick, but not fast. My car does low 15s in the 1/4 mile. Stock motor and drive train. The SRT-6 (supercharged) does low 13s stock. That is fast. But the SRT-6 you can't have the manual transmission. It is a small car. I/m 5'7". So it fits me like a glove! My bigger friends are uncomfortable in it. But I bought it for me. My GF is tiny so no big deal there.

Reliability of the Crossfire is GREAT! As the R170 platform has been around for decades. Parts are fairly easy to get. But can be a little pricy as they are Mercedes parts. But you can find the parts for a decent price if your familiar with google. LoL. My car has over 100,000 miles on it and it runs like a top. The Mercedes tuners say the M117 motor is a very durable under powered motor. Can easily see 250,000 miles plus if treated right. The motors like to be driven hard. Got to love that.

I swapped all the SRT-6 parts in for about $700. Most parts were used parts. The rotors and pads were new. I got Zimmermann rotors, made in Germany, and they are directionally vented less then $90 each. Rears were about $60. The swap was all direct bolt on. I had to swap ABS sensors. And cheat out the rotor splash guards on the front only.

Bottom line. This car is one of the best handling cars for the price. For the reasons being. The looks of the car is polarizing. You either love it or hate it. Parts are a little bit more expensive. And no one really wants two seaters. especially ones with manual transmissions.
farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 03:50 pm
@MrPedalsWorth,
yeh but its a CHRYSLER, not a Porsche. Here it is 10 years after Slappy was even still alive and you drop in and start bringing up these memories of the dar departed Slapster.

I shall go and quietly weep for his mortal sole.
0 Replies