Could "against" be replaced by "by" in this phrase?

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 06:23 pm
Could "against" be replaced by "by" in the phrase "being playing off against another" in the following paragraph?

"So, if the provinces want to run the health-care show, they should prove they can run it, starting with an interprovincial health list that would end duplication, save administrative costs, prevent one province from being played off against another, and bargain for better drug prices. "

Could "being played off by another" be also okey?

And does "being played off" mean "being defeated"? Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 564 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 06:31 pm
"By" would affect the intent of the statement. When two people or groups are "being played off against each other" there is an implied 3rd party involved and that the two groups are competeing for something the 3rd party has.

If it is changed to "being played off by each other" then it implies that the only "players" are the two groups themselves.

"Played off" doesn't mean being defeated. It means that the two are competing for something. Usually the "winner" in such events is the 3rd party. An auction is a good example. Instead of bidding (competing) against the seller you are bidding against other people that also want the item up for sale. The seller isn't driving the price up. The bidders do that themselves. The seller ends up the winner as the price climbs higher. In any auction the seller is "playing off one bidder against another". Wink
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 07:02 pm
Thank you fishin' ...
Quote:
...In any auction the seller is "playing off one bidder against another
It made me get to know the difference. Razz

Thank you yitwail
Quote:
"prevent one province being played off against another by drug companies"
It lit up a bulb in my brain. Idea
0 Replies

Bodo

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 02:14 pm
Heh, wow. I just have to comment on this thread--I've read a few and am amazed at how great the detail is of information. I'm almost looking forward to the next grammatical question I have now that I know where to bring it!
0 Replies