Mommies marching off to war

au1929

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 10:05 am
Mommies marching off to war By Marilyn Elias, USA TODAY
The confirmed death of Pfc. Lori Ann Piestewa, mother of two preschool children and the first U.S. female fatality in the Iraqi war, has rekindled a simmering controversy over women's greater presence in dangerous military jobs.
What is your opinion regarding women in the military. Should they be filling dangerous military jobs?
Should mothers with small children be put in harms way?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2003-04-07-military-moms_x.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,449 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 11:20 am
Motherhood and the military are both career choices--although motherhood may be more unplanned than a military career.

Because of the current war there is a lot of hogwash being spouted that women (sacred vessels and fragile flowers) should not be put in harm's way. Of course, protected women may not be promoted or have a chance to learn valuable (and high-paying) skills.

Mothers are a sub category of military women. Personally, if I had small children, I would not select any career that involved travel and danger--but I'm a well educated white woman who had lots of choices.

I do not think that the U.S. Military establishment should protect women "for their own good". Women are capable of making choices--and making back-up child care arrangements and contributing to national defense in all way, combat included.

The three military women in the news at the moment all chose the military as a career that would open doors for them--and they had precious few other choices for higher education or wider worlds.

Who wants to be "protected" into a dead end?

Is the death of a woman in combat a greater loss than the death of a man?
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 03:30 pm
I think it's a womans choice. I personally wouldn't have taken the risk since I have a child that needs me, but to each their own.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 03:48 pm
What Noddy said, through and through.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 03:53 pm
Daddys shouldn't march off to war either.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 04:17 pm
I'm with Seal.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 06:48 pm
I'll third that Seal.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 09:11 pm
Really.. Why should "mommies" have some sort of protected status? Kids can't survive if mom dies but it's ok for daddy to have his head blown off?

Every military member knows the risks involved and they all make a choice.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 04:40 am
Yah. fishin, you and I could think of a couple of mommies we would gladly march off to war.

No yellow ribbon though.

- - - - -

But seriously... I think sons and daughters should be exempt as well.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 04:43 am
As far as I am concerned, Noddy said it all.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 07:26 am
I don't think anyone should be at war. Every human life is valuable.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:37 am
gezzy- In an ideal world, there would be no war. People would settle their differences through negotiation and debate. Unfortunately, there is something within man that impels him towards homicidal agression.

War has been with us throughout history, and it does not look like it will be ending soon. Man is obviously not evolved enough to deal with conflicts in a civilized manner!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:48 am
Phoenix32890
The only evolution that can be attributed to man is in the field of technology. The primitive instincts we had when we arrived, were created or evolved [take your pick}are with us today. War and killing will follow man till the day of our man made cataclysmic end.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:55 am
au- You are absolutely right. The only difference between primitive and modern man is that they have bigger, better and more sophisticated weapons with which to conduct the wars.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:59 am
I know this is an unpopular view but I do not believe women belong on the battle field. It is I guess a reflection of the respect for women in our society when I was growing up. It was long before the present "enlightened " era.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 12:01 pm
Respect can be very stifling.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:18 pm
Mommies...daddies...children....nephews...nieces....grandchildren...sisters...brothers.....

What if they gave a war--and nobody came?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 04:43 pm
There are too many mommies daddies and children in Iraq who didn't come to the war.

The war came to them.

How shameful.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 02:09 pm
In memory of Pfc. Lori Piestewa, the Arizona Community Foundation is partnering with two of its affiliate foundations--the Hopi Foundation and Tuba City Community Foundation to form the Pfc. Lori Piestewa Memorial Scholarship Fund.

Money raised will be used to help Native Americans finance a college education.

Donations may be made to:

Lori Piestewa memorial Scholarship fund
c/o Arizon Community Foundation
2122 E. Highland Avenue
Suite4000
Phoenix, Arizona 85016
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 02:12 pm
http://csmonitor.com/2003/0428/p09s01-coop.html
0 Replies