English Sentences

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:31 pm
Will someone please help me... im not sure if im writing them right or not! Im pretty sure i'am but i want to make a good grade! There run-on sentences... 1. It was the middle of the night, the smoke alarm went off we woke up frightened. I made it 2 sentences. And the second one is ... The reason we called you here is clear, we need to make some decisions. I made that 2 sentences 2. Please help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 541 • Replies: 2
No top replies

syntinen

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 12:29 pm
Neither of those is 2 sentences as punctuated, although they could be if punctuated appropriately..
The first could actually be 3 standalone sentences, because each of these is complete on its own: "It was the middle of the night. The smoke alarm went off. We woke up frightened." But to have 3 short sentences there is a bit jerky: you may want to alter the rhythm of the passage by replacing one of the full stops with a semicolon. Either:
It was the middle of the night; the smoke alarm went off. We woke up frightened.
Or:
It was the middle of the night. The smoke alarm went off; we woke up frightened.
You can see that the way you use the semicolon affects the relationship between the sentences.
You could do much the same thing by replacing the punctuation with a preposition or a conjunction, thus:

It was the middle of the night when the smoke alarm went off. We woke up frightened. (A semicolon between off and we would also be OK.)
Or:
It was the middle of the night. The smoke alarm went off and we woke up frightened.

The second example is grammatically two complete separate sentences; you could simply put in a full stop after clear. However, since the logical link between the sentences is very strong, a semicolon would be better, thus:
The reason we called you here is clear; we need to make some decisions.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 01:57 pm
Quote:
The reason we called you here is clear; we need to make some decisions.

This one should be a colon.
0 Replies