Mon 25 Feb, 2013 06:40 am
@izzythepush,
bump
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 25 Feb, 2013 06:48 am
@Zardoz,
Zardoz wrote:
Yes I have an agenda to expose the illusion and the magical thinking that maintains it.

Well if that was your agenda, I'm afraid you've failed. You've shown yourself to be every bit as fantatical as those you despise. Your need to lie and exaggerate to push your own agenda has done such agenda a terrible disservice. Instead of believing in a God, you believe everything that's wrong with the world is down to cults. You've even extended this belief into a discussion about tax systems. It's no different, and every bit as simplistic as RL blaming everything on socio/psychopaths.

Just because your reasoning is secular doesn't mean it's not bullshit, no matter how old you are.
spendius

Mon 25 Feb, 2013 07:17 am
@izzythepush,
The problem the atheist fanatic has is the one of the alternative.

It's a bit like railing against coming off the gold standard and expanding credit transactions based on faith in the paper and failing to offer a policy based on the gold standard and restriction of credit to what the underlying tangible assets will secure.

Which makes sense in a pedantic way but fails to produce growth in excess of what new gold production will allow.
MattDavis

Mon 25 Feb, 2013 01:51 pm
@spendius,
I all comes down to value (faith/gold/pleasure/food/safety/love).
Where do you start your economy?
Axiology.
izzythepush

Mon 25 Feb, 2013 02:02 pm
@MattDavis,
Without dwelling on anything remotely philosophical, I'd say, in view of recent developments in the Middle East, that the thing a community values most is security. Everything else follows after that.
MattDavis

Mon 25 Feb, 2013 02:23 pm
@izzythepush,
Do you think that community level emphasis on safety, may be a result of our tribalistic tendancies? It seems from an evolutionary perspective that we very easily sort ourselves into "in groups" and "out groups". Us and them. Much harder to threaten and feel threatened when it is "us" and "us".
spendius

Mon 25 Feb, 2013 02:28 pm
@MattDavis,
Quote:
Where do you start your economy?

I'm a bit fickle in that regard. Soft beds, no work, pots of ale and voluptuous women Sancho Panchez reckoned. Gallant knavery's not bad with breaks for fundamentalist rascality.

But I agree with izzy in respect of communities.
tenderfoot

Mon 25 Feb, 2013 04:39 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

In the EU there are about 200 million dicks and roughly the same number of cunts. What do you suggest?

Tried to do a visual of 200 mil dicks and 200 mil cunts, all moving around doing their thing, in the EU... wasn't a pretty sight I can tell you, can't imagine any tourists going there.
MattDavis

Mon 25 Feb, 2013 05:48 pm
@spendius,
Spend I Us wrote:
Gallant knavery's not bad with breaks for fundamentalist rascality.
The perhaps intended (by you) effect this has on me, is making me think of the relationship between 'knavery' and 'slavery'.
Perhaps in a Dorian Gray sort of way.
Is the only way not to be a slave to temptation to not resist it?
Or do we take your oft hated puritanical approach?
Viewing 'knavery' as imposing upon it's victims the slavery of the knaves whims?
Are puritans rascally fundamentalists.
Are knaves fundamentalist rascals?
spendius

Mon 25 Feb, 2013 06:03 pm
@tenderfoot,
Quote:
Tried to do a visual of 200 mil dicks and 200 mil cunts, all moving around doing their thing, in the EU... wasn't a pretty sight I can tell you, can't imagine any tourists going there.

Good. I try my best to deter tourists.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 25 Feb, 2013 06:09 pm
@MattDavis,
Quote:
Is the only way not to be a slave to temptation to not resist it?

No.

Quote:
Or do we take your oft hated puritanical approach?

It's a free countrty. Take any approach which floats your boat.

Quote:
Viewing 'knavery' as imposing upon it's victims the slavery of the knaves whims?

Imposing is not knavery.

Quote:
Are puritans rascally fundamentalists.

I shouldn't be surprised.

Quote:
Are knaves fundamentalist rascals?

It depends.
MattDavis

Mon 25 Feb, 2013 06:27 pm
@spendius,
Spendius wrote:
It's a free country. Take any approach which floats your boat.

What country is this you speak of?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 26 Feb, 2013 02:25 am
@MattDavis,
It could be, I really don't know. I think the desire for security stems from living without it. We have some slight risk when we go to the market place, if you were an Iraqi you'd be taking your life into your own hands. How much use is freedom in the middle of chaos?
MattDavis

Tue 26 Feb, 2013 02:50 am
@izzythepush,
My perception living in the US, is that we as a "tribe" actually have a great deal of concern for safety from threats outside the "tribe". Much more concern than is proportionate to the threats from outside, and very low risk of death walking to the market from inside or outside threats.
I don't think our (American) desire for security stems from living without it.
We are just very nationalistic (tribalistic).
We have a very narrow view of 'us' and a very broad view of 'them'.

On a general national ethos level, of course.
izzythepush

Tue 26 Feb, 2013 04:24 am
@MattDavis,
My perception is based on what is happening in somewhere like Iraq, in that security is the number one priority, meaning the appeal of the strong man who does not concern himself with democracy or human rights is compelling, because at the end of the day, if you can't do your day to day business in relative security, you can't do anything.

Paranoia plays big in America, the fact that some people still think they need guns to protect themselves from government is bizarre. It's not something we can get our heads round over here. Unfortunately partisan news organisations ramp up the paranoia. There's still a substantial segment of the population who believe that Sadam Hussein was behind 9/11. The Patriot Act would never have been passed without fear and paranoia.
cicerone imposter

Tue 26 Feb, 2013 12:50 pm
@izzythepush,
Your observations mirrors mine; the general public lives with misinformation and paranoia, and ends up creating more violence and inhumanity.

The human animal will never live in peace, and wars are our future. More guns and more military hardware to kill each other off.

We create heroes out of this chaos.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Tue 26 Feb, 2013 01:20 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
There's still a substantial segment of the population who believe that Sadam Hussein was behind 9/11. The Patriot Act would never have been passed without fear and paranoia.

I agree the Patriot Act would never have passed without fear and paranoia.
I do not agree however that a "substantial segment" of the US population believes Sadam Hussein was behind the World Trade Center and Pentagon attacks. I was 20 years old back in 2001, there was some generalized paranoia in the air regarding just about every Arab/Iranian/Indian/Pakistani (like I said before a pretty broad definition of "them"). Obviously the paranoia was played upon, by the Bush Jr. Administration so that the demos could feel righteous in invading Iraq. As the "weapons of mass destruction" became too publicly and obviously a lie, the vilification was shaped more specifically on Osama bin Laden.
I am no expert on American conspiracy theories, but I can tell you I personally know of no one who now thinks Sadam Hussein was behind 911.
I do however know several idiots who think that "the government"(US govt.) was behind it.
Frank Apisa

Tue 26 Feb, 2013 01:25 pm
@MattDavis,
I agree with Matt that I know more people (or at least KNOW OF more people) who think our government was behind the 9/11 attack than I know who think Saddam Hussein was.

But I think both my thoughts and Matt's are in agreement with Izzy...and I certainly do not offer them in rebuttal to what Izzy said.

We are a paranoid people...and we have way, way too many conspiracy addicts among us.
reasoning logic

Tue 26 Feb, 2013 01:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
We are a paranoid people...and we have way, way too many conspiracy addicts among us.

Is this your way of saying I am wrong about building seven? Question
Frank Apisa

Tue 26 Feb, 2013 01:39 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5264207)
Quote:

Is this your way of saying I am wrong about building seven?

Oh, well...building 7. That is another thing altogether. But if I were you...I wouldn't talk about it in public!
0 Replies