Atheists... Your life is pointless

Owen phil

Sun 18 Jul, 2010 06:24 am
@John Creasy,
John Creasy wrote:

flushd wrote:
Those are a lot of assumptions right off the bat, John C.
As of yet, you do not know which of us are atheists or anything else for that matter.

Maybe you could clarify what you would like to discuss? I couldn't find the question in your arguement. Embarrassed

What assumptions? What atheists you ask? How about the half of dozen that said they were? Also I've looked around a bit and it appears to be about 80% religion-bashers on this particular forum. Hmmmm, how ironic.

I was just wondering out loud how if there is no God, than why don't we live more like the animals we are? Why the morals?

Your errors include Your Assumption, which is totally unfounded, namely that God is required for ethics.
This is nonsense, ethics is a branch of Philosophy not religion.

snood

Sun 18 Jul, 2010 07:45 am
God? We don' need no steenking God!!!

Well, he certainly don't need me. But as for me and my house, I'm glad he's got me.
Arella Mae

Sun 18 Jul, 2010 07:52 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Well, he certainly don't need me. But as for me and my house, I'm glad he's got me.
Amen!
0 Replies

AwTin

Mon 26 Jul, 2010 11:28 am
@plainoldme,
>>It just occurred to me that the statement, atheists, your life is pointless, implies that human life is pointless and that the only point is god.

That means, to me, that the lives of believers are pointless. <<

Well said. I've never thought of it that way.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 26 Jul, 2010 11:34 am
@Owen phil,
But religion is philosophy! There's Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Witchism, Devilism, Satanism, and all those other isms. Who's right and who's wrong?

My daddy is stronger than your daddy...
0 Replies

Deathwish238

Thu 23 Jun, 2011 09:51 am
@John Creasy,
Why be a good person? Because I don't need God or a religion to tell me how to be kind and just. My parents raised me well. I'm Aethiest but what does that matter? It just means I have a brain I know how to use.

You're right though, this all is just a "cosmic fluke." Life is pointless, nothing matters. I take that as...live each day like it's your last. When all is said and done, if you look 100 years from now...whatever you did or did not do during your life doesn't matter.

Humans are simply a series of memories. Memories create our personalities and develop our brain. Create the best memories you can. Don't need God to tell me that.
Arella Mae

Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:19 am
@Deathwish238,
Deathwish238 wrote:

Why be a good person? Because I don't need God or a religion to tell me how to be kind and just. My parents raised me well. I'm Aethiest but what does that matter? It just means I have a brain I know how to use.

As opposed to what? A brain a believer has that they don't know how to use?
Thomas

Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:27 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
Deathwish238 wrote:

As opposed to people who aren't good persons. For one reason or another, bad persons don't know, or don't care, how to use their brains right. At least that's how I understand the logic of Deathwish238's post.
Arella Mae

Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:34 am
@Thomas,
Hmmm, I don't know Thomas. He stated, I'm Atheist but what does that matter? "It" (it being I'm Atheist) just means I have a brain I know how to use." If I'm wrong, I certainly don't have a problem admitting it or apologizing for it.
Thomas

Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:43 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
Hmmm, I don't know Thomas. He stated, I'm Atheist but what does that matter? "It" (it being I'm Atheist) just means I have a brain I know how to use." If I'm wrong, I certainly don't have a problem admitting it or apologizing for it.

That's your interpretation. My interpretation is that "it" refers to "be a good person". But I'll grant you that the "it" could refer to either part of his sentence. Perhaps we could just ask him.
Arella Mae

Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:44 am
@Thomas,
Excellent idea! So deathwish, are you saying "IT" refers to being atheist or to being a good person?
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:46 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

You're misrepresenting the atheistic position on any body odor of Jahwe's---or Zeus's, or Vishnu's for that matter. What does not exist cannot stink, and we don't believe these entities exist.
0 Replies

Krumple

Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:54 am
@John Creasy,
John Creasy wrote:

flushd wrote:
I was just wondering out loud how if there is no God, than why don't we live more like the animals we are? Why the morals?

If you had a basic education you would know the reason for your question. Humans are social animals which means our survival depends on social bonds. Not only that but some of us have what we call empathy for others which I guess since you can't grasp the concept already pointed out to you, you must lack. I guess for you, you couldn't handle yourself without some imaginary wrathful being who waits to scold you for your actions, but some of us don't need such a thing to do good things.
0 Replies

BillRM

Thu 30 Jun, 2011 05:56 am
@Arella Mae,
Quote:

Given that an average ten year old should rejected the fairy tales such as the Christian religions are base on you can draw your own conclusions about the intellect of the average believer of at least his or her sanity.
spendius

Thu 30 Jun, 2011 06:11 am
@BillRM,
You do have a large number of presidents lined up there Bill. And, according to polls I've seen, about 270 million of your fellow Americans.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Thu 30 Jun, 2011 09:40 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Given that an average ten year old should rejected the fairy tales such as the Christian religions are base on you can draw your own conclusions about the intellect of the average believer of at least his or her sanity.

Well, for someome who is "bviously lacking intelligence" and/or "obviously insane" according to you, I find it ironic that I hold down a very stressful and challenging job, I take care of my household, I have run a cat shelter, am founder of a network of people that help others, hmmm, let's see................but because I believe in God you say I am lacking in intellect and/or insane? Considering the type of things you believe in BillRM, I'd say you should be glad I don't throw stones at your glass house.

You may make choices I do not agree with and you may support the choices of others I do not agree with but I am not going to say you lack intelligence or you are obviously insane because you have differing views.

My biggest problem with YOUR type is you want tolerance for everything you want to do and say but you offer no tolerance in return. I say YOUR type because I really don't think the majority of people, especially here on A2K, are like you.

And yes, I do realize you did not say "me" specifically but if the shoe fits then I will wear it.
reasoning logic

Fri 1 Jul, 2011 08:48 pm
@Arella Mae,
Very good reply I like how you come across! You set a good example of how we can reply without getting over emotional.
I am not trying to be mean but that is a quality that is not seen very often!
I was going to say in women but after thinking about it for half a second I realized that men were also guilty of this, We all get things wrong!
0 Replies

snood

Sat 2 Jul, 2011 09:01 am
AM: Word!
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 2 Jul, 2011 09:10 am
Bill RM is a nasty little ****. One cannot castigate him thoroughly enough.
reasoning logic

Sat 2 Jul, 2011 11:32 am
@Setanta,
I think that all of us can be nasty little shits at times!
Do you think that you can be a nasty little **** at times or would you think that your behavior would lean more toward a kind and gentle person?
0 Replies