Atheists... Your life is pointless

Intrepid

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 09:19 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

I agree that rarely do people murder because of religious instruction, but I agree also that religion is no guarantee that its believers with not murder.

Bingo!
spendius

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 09:44 am
@Intrepid,
Quote:
There are good atheists and there are bad atheists.

A good atheist is someone who gets on quietly with his belief within the law and as far as I know there is nothing to stop him or her.

A bad atheist is someone who tries to persuade others to be atheists without considering that his persuasion might be good enough to convert everybody to atheism. At which point morality vanishes and basic, verminous human nature can only be controlled by legislation passed by humans seeking votes who are subjected to temptations which then carry no sense of shame.

He's a bit like a bloke at a social event who behaves badly without having to face the rest behaving in the same way.
fresco

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 11:57 am
@spendius,
Spendius,

Quote:
A bad atheist is someone who tries to persuade others to be atheists without considering that his persuasion might be good enough to convert everybody to atheism. At which point morality vanishes and basic, verminous human nature can only be controlled by legislation passed by humans seeking votes who are subjected to temptations which then carry no sense of shame.

I occasionally take you off ignore to see if you make sense. Regretfully, when you write bilge like this, I wonder why I bother.

BillRM

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 01:56 pm
@Intrepid,
Sorry atheists as a group had never wage holly war on non-atheists killing believers for the reason they do not follow the atheist bible.

Second being a believer in a fairy tale for an adult mean that adult in not completely sane for that reason alone.
spendius

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 02:31 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
I occasionally take you off ignore to see if you make sense. Regretfully, when you write bilge like this, I wonder why I bother.

That's a cheapskate assertion fresco, deployed, I presume, with the specific intention of conditioning those who are daft enough to give it credibility that you are the fount of wisdom and the definitive answer to a maiden's prayer. The fact of your having recourse to such a mode of debate should be quite sufficient to create the opposite effect in the mind of any intelligent person and what effect it creates in other minds is not of the slightest interest to me.

And vacillating between having me on Ignore and not having me on Ignore strongly suggests that you find my posts both repulsive and fascinating.

What arguments do you wish to make to justify the use of "bilge"?

From whence would an atheist derive a sense of shame?
spendius

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 02:34 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Second being a believer in a fairy tale for an adult mean that adult in not completely sane for that reason alone.

I am aware Bill that you have never met a completely sane adult in your life but could you describe the condition for us then we can make sense of your sentence.
Diest TKO

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 02:50 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

Here's a question more to the point: How many Atheists kill for the advancement of Atheism?

People kill for whatever reason. Pol Pot was an atheist, but was he killing because he was an atheist? History gives us plenty of examples of people killing and specifically citing their religion as their justification/rationalization. We don't have to speculate.

I don't think that being religious will make you a murderer, but in the face of the argument about atheists and their morals, I'm certainly going to reject the notion that a Christian or any other religious person is less likely to murder people than an atheist.

T
Killing in the name of?
O

I could ask you the same question regarding Christians.

If they have killed to specifically advance Christianity? Yes. The Crusades and the Inquisition were already brought up specifically.

Intrepid wrote:

You infer that I said atheists are more likely to murder. This is totally false. I never said it and I don't believe it.

Sorry. You read me wrong. I know you said nothing of the sort, and I was not attempting to infer that you did. I was merely pointing out that being a Christian (and adopting Christian morals) is not going to make one LESS likely to murder. The conversation here (specifically with spendi) seems to be attempting to establish Christian morals as what keeps us from things like murder.

Intrepid wrote:

Christians have to answer to their God in all things. There are good Christians and there are bad Christians.

Yes, and having a god to answer to can also mean that people have a bargaining chip against you to make you do immoral things.

It's just as likely to say: You have to kill this man, because you'll have to answer to your god, and it want's you to do this. I continue to see this as a liability of religion. Literacy has helped over the ages however.

Intrepid wrote:

There are good atheists and there are bad atheists.

Of course.

T
K
O
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 03:04 pm
@spendius,
It has come to my attention that the man who was voted Australian humanist of the year by the Australian Humanist Association, Mr Peter Singer, a professor in some strange subject at Princeton, wrote an MA thesis Why should I be moral?

One supposes that if there is a vote for such a title to get publicity for the AHA then somebody has to win that vote irrespective of any other consideration.

This is an extract from Wiki on the subject of abortion.

Quote:
Consistent with his general ethical theory, Singer holds that the right to life is intrinsically tied to a being's capacity to hold preferences, which in turn is intrinsically tied to a being's capacity to feel pain and pleasure. In his view, the central argument against abortion is equivalent to the following logical syllogism:

First premise: It is wrong to take innocent human life.
Second premise: From conception onwards, the embryo or fetus is innocent, human and alive.
Conclusion: It is wrong to take the life of the embryo or fetus.[15]

In his book Rethinking Life and Death Singer asserts that, if we take the premises at face value, the argument is deductively valid. Singer comments that those who do not generally think abortion is wrong attack the second premise, suggesting that the fetus becomes a "human" or "alive" at some point after conception; however, Singer argues that human development is a gradual process, that it is nearly impossible to mark a particular moment in time as the moment at which human life begins.

.Singer's argument for abortion differs from many other proponents of abortion; rather than attacking the second premise of the anti-abortion argument, Singer attacks the first premise, denying that it is wrong to take innocent human life:

The argument that a fetus is not alive is a resort to a convenient fiction that turns an evidently living being into one that legally is not alive. Instead of accepting such fictions, we should recognise that the fact that a being is human, and alive, does not in itself tell us whether it is wrong to take that being's life.

Singer states that arguments for or against abortion should be based on utilitarian calculation which weighs the preferences of a mother against the preferences of the fetus. In his view a preference is anything sought to be obtained or avoided; all forms of benefit or harm caused to a being correspond directly with the satisfaction or frustration of one or more of its preferences. Since a capacity to experience the sensations of suffering or satisfaction is a prerequisite to having any preferences at all, and a fetus, at least up to around eighteen weeks, says Singer, has no capacity to suffer or feel satisfaction, it is not possible for such a fetus to hold any preferences at all. In a utilitarian calculation, there is nothing to weigh against a mother's preferences to have an abortion, therefore abortion is morally permissible.

Similar to his argument for abortion, Singer argues that newborns similarly lack the essential characteristics of personhood " "rationality, autonomy, and self-consciousness"" and therefore "killing a newborn baby is never equivalent to killing a person, that is, a being who wants to go on living."

spendius

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 03:15 pm
@spendius,
It struck me that the recent killing of a Hamas leader by drugging him and then suffocating him was not wrong according to Mr Singer.

If the guy was knocked out he could have had no preferences. The speculation that the fetus "at least up to around eighteen weeks", (lovely word is "around" I must say, for a scientist) is, I would imagine, much less certain.

If so then every abortion is less legitimate than the killing in Dubai. In Mr Singer's view I mean.

0 Replies

Advocate

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 03:20 pm
You have to question the validity of religion when you consider that about half the people murdered in mass murders died as a result of religion-related wars and genocides.
JLNobody

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 03:25 pm
Fresco, your computer has an "ignore" function? How do I obtain one?
farmerman

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 03:42 pm
@JLNobody,
You have one too JL. ALl you do is go to the personal profile of th person you wish to ignore. (The quickest way is to click on the name of the person who appears on this page ,or any page on which their presence shows up). Then go to their avatar and youll see an "ignore" title. Just click on the ignore and that person is now gone. You can still click on the ignored ones name if you wish to see if theyve gotten any better (DID time help their worldview?). Its a real neat thing because , when someones on ignore, and theres a good bit of conversation going on, you wont be bothered by the background noise that the ignored one usually provides.
Intrepid

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 03:57 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

You have to question the validity of religion when you consider that about half the people murdered in mass murders died as a result of religion-related wars and genocides.

That begs the question. Were the other half atheists?
0 Replies

Advocate

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 04:03 pm
Singer sounds like an Ayn Rand desciple, and not a typical secular-humanist atheist.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 04:15 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:

You mean they weren't fighting for territory, or resources or power or any of the usual reasons historians give?

What's the abortion total since Roe Wade? And why are millions different to thousands or hundreds or tens or one?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 04:24 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
You have one too JL. ALl you do is go to the personal profile of th person you wish to ignore. (The quickest way is to click on the name of the person who appears on this page ,or any page on which their presence shows up). Then go to their avatar and youll see an "ignore" title. Just click on the ignore and that person is now gone. You can still click on the ignored ones name if you wish to see if theyve gotten any better (DID time help their worldview?). Its a real neat thing because , when someones on ignore, and theres a good bit of conversation going on, you wont be bothered by the background noise that the ignored one usually provides.

What he means JL by "background noise" is argument he won't consider because he can't answer it. He deems it idiotic or background noise which then justifies going to Ignore. But the deeming is only his opinion.

So if he doesn't like your opinion you're on Ignore. He likes your opinion if he either agrees with it or it is easy to confute.

It's pathetic I know but there it is. He actually thinks it's clever and that it lifts him onto the intellectual high ground as you can see from that explanation.

It's like when ladies put their hands over their eyes when the monster spider with the hairy legs is heading for the camera in close up.
fresco

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 05:09 pm
@spendius,
"Background noise" is an excellent description for the idiosyncratic and tangential comments you often produce, ( notably on the theme of "ladies"). It is nothing to do with one party "occupying the intellectual high ground". Dialogue requires a negotiated semantic field involving subtle courtesies of common reference even if those are negative in form. If you fail to observe such courtesies, dialogue will break down.
spendius

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 05:33 pm
@fresco,
I'm not bothered if dialogue breaks down. It clears the air. Ladies who do abortion are for others. I wouldn't allow a lady who does abortion to kiss me in the pub when the clock stikes midnight on New Year. Not even on the cheek.
spendius

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 06:09 pm
@spendius,
When I think of ladies mate I think of Sophia Western and Charlotte Bronte. The real thing. Not some convenience to splatter in cost effectively.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 07:02 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I'm not bothered if dialogue breaks down. It clears the air. Ladies who do abortion are for others. I wouldn't allow a lady who does abortion to kiss me in the pub when the clock stikes midnight on New Year. Not even on the cheek.

Dear spendi, we both know that a woman would slap your cheek red before even entertain the notion of giving you a kiss. Your self flattery borders on masturbation at times.

T
K
O