What does this sentence mean?

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:13 pm
"how you're warning people to stay away when only a handful of people are dumb enough not to"

Puzzled Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 706 • Replies: 12
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:14 pm
Where did you find such a sentence?
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:16 pm
at a USMLE forum
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

blues, Shout "Houston, we've got a problem."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

BTW, Welcome to a2k. Wink
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:17 pm
It means that the warning to stay away is unnecessary, because most people are smart enough to stay away even without the warning.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:18 pm
Fragment, I say! LOL
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:18 pm
The writer appears to be calling attention to their opinion that someone's action in warning others away is superfluous, since most people are clever enough to stay away anyway.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:21 pm
Does this sentence mean "only a handful of people are to stay away"?
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:23 pm
Thank you so much. I think I got it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:25 pm
We aim to please!

And welcome.

Brandon said it succincter than I did.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 12:01 am
"how you're warning people to stay away when only a handful of people are dumb enough not to"

Brandon may have given the most likely interpretation, but the sentence does not really mean anything because it's not well formed.

This is not a valid sentence because "how" must be followed by a form of to-be...it's obvious that the writer MEANT "how are you..." instead of "how you're" which is a contraction for "how you are."

At that point, it looks as though it's more likely that the writer meant "why" instead of "how" because the second part of the sentence.

"Why are you warning people to stay away when only a few people are dumb enough not to stay away"

Once these replacements have been made it's obvious that the sentence still doesn't make any sense, because the first part of the sentence implies that people should leave while the second part implies that they would be dumb to leave.

Most likely the writer confused himself with the negatives, and finally meant what Brandon said...
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 07:37 am
Now that you have made the writer's intentions clear, it seems to me that he is rather cold hearted, since he is willing by eliminating the sign to let the few "dumb" people submit themselves to danger.
0 Replies