Essay wrting

coolchi

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:13 am
I would like to know tips on how to write a good Essay for scholarships and for the SAT exams.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 600 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lash

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:49 am
There are a few schools of thought regarding what constitutes a "good essay".

I'll share two of these beliefs with you--just making sure you know there is no definitive template that has a universal stamp of approval.

The most structured template requires easily identifiable components:

The first paragraph, which contains
1) The thesis statement
2) A preview of the main issues you will explain in fuller detail later in the essay.

Begin each successive paragraph with a transitional phrase or word, such as conversely, additionally, Primarily, Consequently... whatever accurately connects the two paragraphs. (Some people (including me) find this to be too cardboard- cutterish, but many institutions will reduce your score in their absence.)

To be continued...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:02 am
Your thesis statement should not be a weak, maybe-type statement, like, "I think enough evidence has been forwarded to prove a child's environment has more influence on who they eventually become, that does their genetic code."

A strong thesis statement would read: ... "Evidence reveals a child's environment is more influential in shaping his identity." You take a clear stand, and then you have to cite at least three evidentiary paragraphs to prove your statement, unless the instructions ask for a longer or shorter essay.

One may keep in mind an essay of this type is like a court case in which the writer is an attorney, trying to prove his case.

More later.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:14 am
Anatomy of an essay:

Thesis: The "fast food" culture in America is directly responsible for a rise in obesity.
parag 1) Social changes that ushered in fast food--more women in the workforce, too tired to cook traditional meals, ..
parag 2) Advent and quick proliferation of fast food establishments, introduction of fast food into culture, McDonalds, almost iconic representation of the US,...
parag 3) Nutritional wasteland, and unhealthy values in fast food, worst food #1 on recent medical study=egg McMuffin,...prevalence of children picking these up on the way to school...
Conclusion) Tie these together in cohesive fashion and restate your thesis.

That is the standard, structured, boring but mostly accepted way to write an essay.

Some professors really resent students being taught that only certain transitional words and phrases can be used to link paragraphs, and some hate the "5 paragraph" structure, but the last I heard, the SATs were still using this template because it's easier to grade.

Good luck.
0 Replies