Trains, Feet, Buses and Automobiles.....your commute.

eoe

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 10:46 am
I used to walk to work when I lived in the South Loop area of Chicago and worked at one of the department stores downtown. A mile, maybe a mile and a half. It was full of hustle and bustle and jockeying for position, moving in and out and around, just like driving, and everyone was in a hurry and it was quite the workout. I was in the best shape of my life back then.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 11:29 am
Some bird pictures from Bali.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/BaliandSingaporeAug-Sep2005153.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 11:30 am
Don't see these every day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/BaliandSingaporeAug-Sep2005111.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 11:39 am
Another unusual bird.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/BaliandSingaporeAug-Sep2005125.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 04:04 pm
Well, my commute will be tres wet today....raining very enthusiastically out there...

Monday bloody Monday!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 04:10 pm
We're still enjoying sunny Sunday here in California. Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 03:38 am
Five days a week I get into my little car & travel between one world & another. Where I live is very near bustle, activity, noise. A busy centre. After a little while on the Calder freeway, heading north, I pass through the new housing developments. Right in the middle of such a section is a watch out for kangaroos! symbol. (What are these poor, dislocated creatures making of this encroachment on their territory, I wonder? Where can they go to next? Sad ) ... Then, after a bit, I'm into the 110 km p.h. zone. Open road. I'm in auto pilot. It's hard to stick to the speed limit, the drive is so easy now. I'm in the country! The sun suffuses the landscape with a gentle light & I swear, looking at those ancient, worn down hills & plains that I can almost see the ghosts of the aboriginal tribes that walked these parts for hundreds & hundreds of years! The scenery reminds me so much of the early Australian paintings that I'm so familiar with, it's uncanny. (I'm an art teacher, amongst other things.) There's something about that landscape, despite the cars, the new houses, that is so compelling & timeless. Finally, my turn-off. Back to reality. Almost there. Snap into work mode. All of this took me 25 minutes. Amazing.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 05:21 am
if it's ant consolation, it's rainning here too

beautiful description of the countryside msolga
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 05:22 am
Thank you, djjd. Very Happy
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 07:27 am
littlek wrote:
...I pass out of the brick and iron walled greeness into the bustle of harvard square and into the shops there or beyond, past yet another university to porter square to go to the drug store...

Which university is that? Lesley?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 07:45 am
Whoa, I have missed bits of this, need to read back!

Oy, I didn't know you were an art teacher, Msolga. You've been holding out.

Lots and lots of lovely rain yesterday and today.

I was in too much of a hurry this morning, but this afternoon I noticed the river all brimming and filled with debris...the winds have been high, too.

Needed a brolly to cross from office to therapy rooms today...of course, I prefer to walk across the very busy main road, "sheltering" precariously on a traffic divider all of six inches wide, while several lanes of vehicles whiz past on either side, than walk down to the nice pedestrian crossing.

If I ever suddenly stop posting here, and you never hear anything again, there is a likely cause.

The birds were too spooked by the wind and rain to be out grazing and shredding the new growth on the trees tonight...

The north wind doth blow,
And we shall have snow,
And what will poor robin do then,
Poor thing?
He'll sit in a barn,
And keep himself warm,
And hide his head under his wing,
Poor thing.

Only, of course, it is the South wind that blows cold here, and we shan't be having any snow, and there are no local robins, but other than that, it is perfect!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 07:49 am
Turkeys and NPR.

Turkeys I know, what's NPR?

National Public radio?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 08:58 am
Yes re NPR.

My current job is in Burlington, Mass., which is way outside of the big city but right near the enormous Burlington Mall. And the office park is a wooded area, so there are a lot of trees and birds and, of course, flying bird poop for your windshield. Oy.

My boss, who has an office with a window, had to put a cardboard cutout of an owl on her big window to keep the birds from flying into the window. We are on the ground floor (it's only a one-story building), so the birds didn't have too far to fall, but still, that was a bit disconcerting.

There are a lot of pine needles, the area is mainly coniferous forest, but there are some deciduous trees, including one with some sort of berries that I park near so there are a lot of these little berry/apple/whatever the heck they really are fruits all over the ground, littering about two or three parking spots, including the one I always try to park in. They don't seem to have large seeds inside them, I have squished a number of them with my shoes and have not felt a nut or big pit inside them. Hmm. They're kind of a yellowy-orange color.

I see no one when I'm coming in, except for fellow car commuters, so I can't speak for who's in which car. But it is dark, because I'm on the road before 7 AM and often before 6 AM. Today I left at about 6:05 AM and arrived at about 6:45. I am nearly always the first person in the office. But at least I'm (almost always) not the last to leave. I usually cut out at 4:30 PM although recently I have been doing work that requires a lot of hurry up and wait, and you need to be able to start/continue/move/whatever your stuff when it's ready.

On Friday, I worked at home. I was up for 5:30 AM to kick off a set of tests using a remote access into my work computer and then stuck around for about an hour and a half to do some other work. I was then on again at about 9 AM to do more adjunct work. Then at 10 AM I had a phone call meeting. Fortunately, it only took 15 minutes -- these calls usually take more like two hours. I was around and online until about noon, then back at 8 PM for an hour or so and then back at midnight for another hour or so. All told, I billed for only 6 hours, but it felt like 36.

Then I worked on Saturday and Sunday, keeping similar hours in that I started up very early, kicked off some things and did a little adjunct work, then checked in a few hours afterwards, did some more, then checked in again late at night. It has paid off, a huge amount of testing work was accomplished, but the whole thing was immensely tiring. This week, testing continues, but there seems to be less of it (mainly because I worked like a dog last weekend).

Part of the reason I'm being so dedicated is because we have a deadline, but it's also because I'm banking time (and $$) since I will have holidays and whatnot later this year. But I still need a nap. Smile
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 09:14 am
Hey Jes, when things calm down we should "do lunch."
The Naked Fish in Bedford is about halfway between our offices.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 09:37 am
Yeah, that'd be good. Smile

PS When the religious right comes to Massachusetts, will they insist that the fish be clothed?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 10:53 am
You already got the Puritans, jes. God probably thought that was punishment enough.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 11:24 am
Yeah, what were they thinkin' with those fashions?

Eek, I just thought of something else Slappy can be for Halloween.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 11:37 am
Does it involve a large letter?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 02:34 pm
Sounds like those berries in your parking lot might possibly be from juniper trees. Does it smell like gin when you crush them?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 02:56 pm
mmmmmmmmmm......gin.....

Dammit, I cannot tell what the weather is gonna be like.

This is crucial.

Already I know I will arrive at work hot, red and sweaty. If I stay hot, that ain't good. But freezing ain't good, either. And carrying a jacket is too awkward....
0 Replies