Laugh your heart out!

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 10:47 am
LAUGH YOUR HEART OUT

Son: "I will marry your mother, dad."
Father: "But why, son?"
Son:" Because you married mine!"

What a laughable joke, isn’t it? But, can you recall when you had your last laugh this summer? No? Undoubtedly, the generation x is the most motivated generation till date. But amidst the wave of choler predominant everywhere, we seem to have forgotten that we are endowed with a most wonderful faculty called laughter.

THE DECLINE
Being 18 minutes per day in 1950, the individual laughing rate has crumbled down to 6 minutes per day. As for the 21st century kids, they laugh five times less than their 20th century counterparts according to US based research.

Be it depression from stress or arrogance out of egoism, there are numerable reasons which have compelled us to ignore laughter. It is quite ironic when grinning and laughing are taken for immaturity and rough manners. Probably, this has engendered a new order of affectations that force one to simply simper away when he got to break into a raucous crackle.

THE STORY OF NORMAN COUSINS
Norman Cousins, an eminent American author, was a broken man languishing under a long lasting illness. Amazingly, he rode back to euphoria merely by laughing all the way.

As part of his self-contrived treatment plan, comic films and jocular television shows occupied a substantial portion of his daily routine which acted as a laughing dose for the morbid fellow.

Gradually, he steered forward to recovery. He experienced drastic internal transformation. In the wake of this internal turnaround, his physical condition improved too. His pain abated, he began to enjoy a sound sleep and ultimately, his illness departed.

LAUGHTER THE BEST MEDICINE
Laughter is the most potent healer that works its way into us, driving all the degrading factors out of the body. Capitalize on this unique flair humankind is bestowed with. Read on to find why, for centuries, it has been famously quoted, "He who laughs lasts."
1. BOOSTS SELF-CONFIDENCE
In an extensive research carried out by Dr. Madan Kataria of Mumbai, it was found that laughter augments confidence manifold.

A good laugh sends muscles to relaxation while blood circulation rises throughout the body. Moreover, when you throw your lips open to laugh in times of adversity, it sparks a new hope that you'll come through. This is because laughter chops down the level of stress hormones epinephrine and cortisol.

Laughter together with other people leads to a more affable and outgoing personality. It helps breaks the ice and one can easily mingle with others.

2. STRENGTHENS THE IMMUNE SYSTEM
Dr. Lee Berk , psychoneuroimmunologist, unveiled through his studies that laughter has a favourable effect on the immune system. A hearty laugh compliments the production of lymphocytes responsible for the formation of antibodies and hence reinforces the immunity.

3. I AM 16 FEELING
A sure turn-on for all the beauty conscious folks: every time you laugh out loud, you take a step up in preserving your youth. This was suggested by research at the University of California.

As physical exercise is to the body, laughter is to the face. After a strong laugh, the face blooms up with redness. Facial muscles are exhausted and the rouge-like effect embellishes one's cheeks. This happens due to increased blood circulation.

4. PRO-HEART
If the habit of laughing is regularly is built, the possibilities of having a troubled heart are minimized for laughter reduces the release of stress hormones into the blood stream. There is no scientific evidence that laughter ensures a cure for heart ailments but researches at the University of California have suggested that laughing affects the heart in a positive way. Laughter –prone people avert the possibility of heart attacks.

WANNA LAUGH?
Having been convinced that laughter works wonders, perplexed over what to laugh at? Rush off to a playhouse and catch up with a comic flick, watch humorous TV shows (like Cousins did) at work intervals.

You can even reread those funny emails from pals. Entreat kins to entertain you with their fabulous jokes. Does this sound too arduous? Well then, laugh at yourself. Your daily blunders provide ample opportunities to set about sniggers. Recall what Ethel Barrymore said, "You grow up the day you have your first real laugh, at yourself."

MAKE OTHERS LAUGH TOO
Propagate laughter everywhere – at your home, work place or even a bus stand! You'll be delighted at the notion of improving others' health without being paid for it. Won't you?

If you are gifted with a sense of humour, it's good. If not, magic up clean jokes and blather them away at unofficial gatherings. People will like you all the very more for conjuring up dull conversations into raillery sessions.

However, be wary that your laughter doesn't prick anyone. So try and maintain an amiable atmosphere around you.

Besides, you must have gone through phases that seemed abominable at that time but now as you look back at them, you say, "Certainly, I can laugh now." Why not share your 'I can laugh now' tales with others? It would be a treat to them and you shall draw solace. Don't forget to sprinkle your recounts with lots of humour. Your audience would learn a great lesson through your experience. Laughing and learning is a good combination.

LAUGH AND LIVE
Surely, life would be a barren piece of land without laughter that cultivates the seeds of true joy in our lives.

Og Mandino had rightly stated, "Till one can laugh, one can never be poor." Truly, a person who has learnt to laugh can never be devoid of wealth of 'true happiness'.

LAUGHING AT NOTHING!
Sounds like a paradox? But, it's true. It's called Laughter therapy and emphasizes on unreasonable laughter. A laughter club, probably, is the best place for one wishful of learning the newly defined art. Today, there are as many as 56 laughter clubs in the US alone and a good number in 18 other countries including India.

Upon enrolling in a laughter club, one has to regularly perform 'pranayama' in its morning sessions followed by arms-up-in-the-sky stretching. This warm-up gears the trainee up to set about laughing. Afterwards, they are made to practice varied laughing techniques.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,017 • Replies: 10
No top replies

flushd

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:11 pm
Good reminder spidey Razz

Those 'laughter clubs' sound like a lot of fun!
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:14 pm
I think we have a lot of healthy people here in A2K, because we love to laugh. Very Happy Exclamation

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/billbomo/Peek-a-booKitty.jpg
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:21 pm
Most of my time in college is spent laughing. college is such fun.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 03:45 am
How much time, approximately, are you spending in laoughing eevryday? Any idea?
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 03:53 am
A little more everyday since I started coming to A2K. Smile

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/1139Mshhc/663245.jpg
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 04:00 am
Most of my laughters emanate from real life activities, I don't depend upon the Internet.
And Internet humour can only bestow my face with a smile, rarely a laugh......and that too a raucous one which is my trademark.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:23 am
For me, it depends on the day. All in all, I'm a fairly meloncholy soul.
When I laugh though: I laugh loud and hard! I've had my share of laughs here on A2K: that is part of what keeps me coming back.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:25 am
Any questions anybody?
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 11:57 am
U No
spidergal wrote:
Any questions anybody?

There is a quote in a regional indian language that says

Quote:
"Hasaa Ani Laththa Vhaa"

which means "Laugh & get FAT" Smile

But the FAT thing isn't surely intended as UNHEALTHY though... :wink:
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 12:12 pm
uh huh!
In all my research on laughter, did I find any relevance btw laughter and fat.
laughter ralther helps burn calories....
0 Replies