Naked John Lennon tops magazine cover poll

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 05:48 pm
Naked Lennon tops magazine poll
Photo:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4352156.stm

An image of a naked John Lennon, taken on the last day of his life, has been named the top US magazine cover of the past 40 years.
The Rolling Stone front cover, taken by Annie Leibovitz and showing Lennon curled around Yoko Ono, was picked by editors, artists and designers.

The magazine was published a month after Lennon's murder in December 1980.

Vanity Fair's 1991 image of a pregnant Demi Moore was the American Society of Magazine Editors' second choice.

The society picked its favourite images at its conference in Puerto Rico to mark the 40th anniversary of its awards ceremony.

As well as entertainment personalities, images from sport and news also featured in a list of 41 covers chosen by the society.

An image of Muhammad Ali with arrows in his body, from the April 1968 issue of Esquire came third, while a Saul Steinberg drawing of New York's West Side dwarfing the rest of the US - published in The New Yorker in March 1976 - was fourth.

Andy Warhol drowning in a can of tomato soup - from May 1969's Esquire - was fifth.

Mia Farrow's appearance on the front of People magazine in March 1974 came 26th in the society's list, a place ahead of the Dixie Chicks appearing nude on the front of Entertainment Weekly in May 2003, after they had criticised the war in Iraq.

Also on the list was Nicole Kidman's 2004 Vogue cover, singer Cyndi Lauper's appearance on the front of Details in 1989, and a 1997 cover of Time featuring Ellen DeGeneres.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/music/4352156.stm

Published: 2005/10/18 08:27:59 GMT
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 838 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dora17

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 11:02 pm
wow. that picture has always been a source of "ick" for me.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 12:01 am
Wow, I never realized that picture was taken on the day he died. It's definitely a memorable picture. Interesting.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 05:13 am
let me preface by saying i like john lennon, and it's an interesting and striking cover, but the best, hmm

if john was still alive would it be number one or was there a certain amount of sentimentality used in the vote
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 05:20 am
Probably, he is an icon,a generally cool guy.

Best, I dont agree, even the pictures of a naked him and Yoko on the 2 virgins(I think) album is better than that one.

Ok, he is a cool guy, but I always got the impression he was a bit nasty.
He divorced his first wife,hardly spoke to his first son Sean, cheated on his second wife.
I see him as alittle boy that needed to be mothered or he'd go completely off the rails.
Even in the photo he is with a blank faced, dressed Yoko and he is naked and vulnerable in a fetal position.
Its almost like she is blanking him and he is saying 'Im vulnerable please protect me'..

I digress, not the best picture.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:08 am
Well, it's definitely better than any of the other ones mentioned on that list.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:53 pm
material girl wrote:
Probably, he is an icon,a generally cool guy.

Best, I dont agree, even the pictures of a naked him and Yoko on the 2 virgins(I think) album is better than that one.

Ok, he is a cool guy, but I always got the impression he was a bit nasty.
He divorced his first wife,hardly spoke to his first son Sean, cheated on his second wife.
I see him as alittle boy that needed to be mothered or he'd go completely off the rails.
Even in the photo he is with a blank faced, dressed Yoko and he is naked and vulnerable in a fetal position.
Its almost like she is blanking him and he is saying 'Im vulnerable please protect me'..

I digress, not the best picture.

I agree w/ the vulnerability thing, I think it's pretty clear he always had issues to do with losing his mom, and just his relaationship with her in general.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 02:06 am
Oh, yeah, I forgot about him losing his mum.
I feel bad about being nasty about him now.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 08:21 pm
oh pooh, I'm sure he doesn't care. Smile
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 08:39 pm
kickycan wrote:
Well, it's definitely better than any of the other ones mentioned on that list.

Can't agree with that, Kicky. One of our local papers published all 10 of the top covers that were being considered. The one of Warhol drowning in a can of Campbell's tomato soup is classic. So is the pregnant and nude Demi Moore on the cover of Vanity Fair. I agree that Lennon's status as something of a martyred artrist must have had something to do with the choice. He would have turned 60 this month, I believe.
0 Replies