Someone Please Correct This Post

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:09 am
Outside of the capitalization errors caused by lazy typos willsomeone in the know correct this post for me if necessary? Thanks. It's to settle a bet. Very Happy

apparently marijuana causes new neuron growth in the brain and produces more brain cells, all hungry no doubt.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051014.wxcanna1014/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/

No truth to the rumour that this research is being sponsored by Frito-Lay and Krispy Kreme.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 711 • Replies: 7
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:17 am
Hopefully, you're not betting on how many type-A personalities we have on the board.

Quote:
apparently marijuana causes new neuron growth in the brain and produces more brain cells, all hungry no doubt.

I'd write it like this:
Apparently, marijuana causes new neuron growth in the brain and produces more brain cells; all hungry, no doubt.

or

Apparently marijuana causes new neuron growth in the brain and produces more brain cells. (All hungry, no doubt!)

But that doesn't necessarily make it correct.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:57 am
I favor the first, DD.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:09 am
Apparently, marijuana causes new neuron growth in the brain. This produces more brain cells , and they are all hungry, no doubt.

( i dunno.. thats my guess )
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:41 am
Where's the definitive answer here? I know we have experts on English Grammar here that are laying out of school hungover today.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:43 am
what'cho mean?
I speak good english.
No need to get to school so i can be book learned to talk.
Sheesh..
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:02 am
Grammar is an art form, not a science. I'm a follower of the keep commas to a minimum school. Some puncuation is needed between "cells" and "all hungry" but what that puncuation should be is probably debatable.
Any or all of the following could be correct depending on who you ask. The puncuation can also change the meaning of the phrase. I need to actually read that copy of "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" one of these days.

Apparently marijuana causes new neuron growth in the brain and produces more brain cells. All hungry no doubt. (My preference since it seperates the final phrase and accentuates it.)

Apparently marijuana causes new neuron growth in the brain and produces more brain cells; all hungry no doubt. (I have no real idea what the rules are on the semicolon but it might be more appropriate than the comma.)

Apparently marijuana causes new neuron growth in the brain and produces more brain cells, all hungry no doubt. (This works for me too.)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:37 am
I'll bite....

BVT-- If this is from a post, then I'd say there is no problem. This is a strange creature since it works in a few ways. For example, you could always contain those last four words in parantheses since it is an off-hand remark, used for humor.

parados wrote:

Apparently marijuana causes new neuron growth in the brain and produces more brain cells. All hungry no doubt. (My preference since it seperates the final phrase and accentuates it.)

Apparently marijuana causes new neuron growth in the brain and produces more brain cells; all hungry no doubt. (I have no real idea what the rules are on the semicolon but it might be more appropriate than the comma.)

Apparently marijuana causes new neuron growth in the brain and produces more brain cells, all hungry no doubt. (This works for me too.)

I agree but the sentence in the middle is my preference and I'd add two commas. The second short portion, "All hungry, no doubt," is a simple declarative sentence with a short comma-separated opinion added. The subject and verb "They are" is implied. Since a semicolon is used to separate two clauses that can stand alone as sentences, but are joined because of their content.

The first half of that long sentence: "Apparently marijuana causes new neuron growth in the brain and produces more brain cells" begs a reply. The humor of the short declaration is not in doubt, and a semicolon best defines their relationship, imo.

I would also separate the first word with a comma... but that's a quibble I might lose:

The King's English wrote:
Putting commas round apparently amounts to the insertion of a further clause, such as, Though you would not think they could be such fools. But what the precise contents of the further clause may be is problematic. At any rate, a writer should not invite us to read between the lines unless he is sure of two things: what he wants to be read there; and that we are likely to be willing and able readers of it. The same is true of many words that are half adverbs and half conjunctions, like therefore. We have the right to comma them off if we like; but, unless it is done with a definite purpose, it produces perplexity as well as heaviness.

I hope you appreciate my first sentence. Wink
0 Replies