American English

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:49 am
Just had an embarrasing encounter with a fellow poster.It was over the "translation" of "flip my bitch" On this side of the pond,this would be a sexual assault.According to my fellow U.S. posters it means "turn the car around"
It`s all down to Street Talk.How`s about starting a street-talk dictionary here.Might stop me making a prat of myself again. :wink:

Gotta fag ?.........I don`t have any cigarettes,can I have one of yours?

Wotcha...Hello

Any post?.........Any Mail ?

See what I mean,It ain`t hard.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 981 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 03:06 am
Americn way of saying "hello" these days: What's up. (Usually pronounced 'wassup?') Typical answer: "Chillin'."
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:45 am
In Hilo, Hawaii we sez howsit and yousez ono.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 05:36 pm
In Hilo, Hawaii you also sez "yeah?" at the end of each sentence, much the same way that Canajuns end sentences with "eh?" But, by and large, Hawaiian English is a lot better understandabe than mainland street talk.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 05:21 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Americn way of saying "hello" these days: What's up. (Usually pronounced 'wassup?') Typical answer: "Chillin'."

Usuall greeting is "Hi" "Wotcha" How u doin'?"
Typical answer "Allright?" "Not bad,yourself?"

P.S. love your avitar,it appeals to my sense of humour Cool Isn't "nicked" a word from my side of the pond Question
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:07 pm
barrythemod wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:

P.S. love your avitar,it appeals to my sense of humour Cool Isn't "nicked" a word from my side of the pond Question

Yes, I guess it is. But the misplaced apostrophe and the double 's' are universal gaffes, I think. I hope you like my signature, too. I tried to improve on Descartes.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 01:12 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
I hope you like my signature, too. I tried to improve on Descartes.

Now don't get too "flash".The one and only time that I've heard of Descartes,was from Monty Python.They told me he was "a drunken fart",so any improvement on anything he said,or quoted,must be a good thing :wink:
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 04:06 pm
In the US, if you say "nice honkers biatch" to a woman it means, "Can I help you, miss?"
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:15 pm
LMAO
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 07:04 am
Sure. And "fu*k you" is just the American way of pronouncing "thank you."
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:21 am
Are you bitter, Merry?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 02:43 pm
Hell, no, Stuh. I'm merry.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 04:16 pm
Rolling Eyes stuh505 Is that the best you can offer to this thread.Get a life ! Why "take the piss" ( English street talk ) If all of your 1464 posts are like this,I'm glad i haven't crossed your path before Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 04:41 pm
It's interesting how street slang changes over years. Anybody who's ever seen a gangster movie from the 1940s or '50s knows that a pistol used to be a 'gat' or sometimes a 'heater.' If you said that to one of the boyos who run in gangs today, they'd stare at you uncomprehendingly. A gun is a 'burner.' Not so long ago it used to also be a 'strap,' but I haven't heard that word in the last two or three years. A knife used to be a 'shiv', now it's a 'shank.' A .22 cal. pistol is a 'double-deuce.' (I work with juvenile delinquents in the juvenile justice system in Massachusetts; that's the only reason I know all these delightful words.)

A cigarette, btw, is a 'square.' Don't ask me why. Being asked if you've got a square is the same as being asked for a fag in the UK.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 04:41 pm
It's interesting how street slang changes over years. Anybody who's ever seen a gangster movie from the 1940s or '50s knows that a pistol used to be a 'gat' or sometimes a 'heater.' If you said that to one of the boyos who run in gangs today, they'd stare at you uncomprehendingly. A gun is a 'burner.' Not so long ago it used to also be a 'strap,' but I haven't heard that word in the last two or three years. A knife used to be a 'shiv', now it's a 'shank.' A .22 cal. pistol is a 'double-deuce.' (I work with juvenile delinquents in the juvenile justice system in Massachusetts; that's the only reason I know all these delightful words.)

A cigarette, btw, is a 'square.' Don't ask me why. Being asked if you've got a square is the same as being asked for a fag in the UK. In the US, a fag is always a homosexual and nothing else.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 05:03 pm
that's really interesting MA. Could you share more? I always find slang and the evolution of it fascinating.
0 Replies