LIVING WITH DEPRESSION and DRUGS

Diane

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 03:08 pm
Amigo, you touched on a vital issue--finding the right doctor. It should be a psychiatrist rather than an MD because they are better informed and educated in this specialty.

After finding a psychiatrist, I used him only for medication. He made me feel like a speciman under a microscope. A psychologist or a good social worker and for me (with my particular needs and background) a woman, were the people who helped the most.

Basically, getting medication and therapy together is the most effective treatment compared to one or the other.

I realize that medication has been misused in so many ways that one feels that none of them can be trusted, which is an unfortunate assumption. We are all so very different, that some need medication and some can thrive on vitamins (St. John's Wart) and therapy. It all comes down to finding the right therapist and the right medication. Hah--try doing that when you don't feel like doing anything at all. After going through all that, I knew that I was an incredibly strong woman--at least tenacious.

Whenever someone comes along and says "You must do this" whatever it is, my skepticism kicks in immediately. I you have ever seen a wallpaper, paint store, you realize that people have wildly divergent tastes. So it goes with our bodies and minds. I would trust studies done by reputable universities over some study done by a health mag or a drug company and even then, the results of the study could very well not apply to you.

Whew! It is a maze, a Skinner box of choices and decisions.

Good luck, Mapleleaf.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 05:22 pm
Thanks Di
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 05:30 pm
I like this, Di...

Quote:
I you have ever seen a wallpaper, paint store, you realize that people have wildly divergent tastes. So it goes with our bodies and minds.

Good luck, leaf -- and one more echo of "find a doc who gives a **** about you." And who is right for you, like Di said. Scary to be made an automaton (perhaps a reason to resist treatment from an MD who treats you like one). Much less scary to be made a more happy you...

Which doesn't mean that a person should go out and find a doc who validates whatever they think, feel, or do, like some folks I've known.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 05:33 pm
Good old dog...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 06:31 pm
Ditto good old dog.

Boy, it gets complicated when you start analyzing everything that goes into the treatment of mental illness. The effort required to get the right treatment at the moment when you don't have the energy or the will to help yourself is the real kicker.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 06:47 pm
MapleLeaf, I am very sorry that you are having such a bad time. I have never had clinical depression, but boy have I been really down, sometimes.

I know for a FACT, that Amigo is right about doctors getting kickbacks. I also know that they will order unnecessary tests as well. The health care system in America is terrible, right now.

Lots of TLC to you, buddy.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:46 pm
Chalk up one more A2Ker you know who's intimately familiar with depression. Me.

My latest bout started several years ago with the onset of menopause. Hormone imbalance, dontcha know. Will likely last a couple more years. I'm very lucky to have a progressive D.O. who is well versed in the subject and knows and cares about me intensely. I'm on Lexapro now (small dosage) and it's okay, but I'm still a bit lethargic...like Diane said, a tired, out of it drudge. Not too bad, though. And at least I know it's temporary this time. <crossing fingers>

By all means, find a doctor who wants to listen to you. It's crucial.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 09:15 pm
Got back late, Diane. SO GLAD to hear about your success.

I'm playing tennis with some of the professors and office workers weekly(what? willingly??? <ha>); I actually have things on my calendar besides deadlines and bills!!

I take the highest dose of Wellbutrin they will give me and it has taken a LONG time to give the right effect--but, I'm so glad I gave myself some more time.

MAPLE--

I won't try to push pills. The right mix has just been the solution for me--and I've had depression at various levels, one time, I was a note away from floating myself off in the river. I came so close. Hard to imagine, now.

So, I just support you, and I value you. I'm on your side. I hope you'll look into finding a doctor you like, who treats you with respect. And, I'm beaming hopes of happiness to you.

{{{{{{{{happiness to Mapleleaf}}}}}}}}
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 12:30 pm
Eva and Lash....it must run in good company.

When I moved South in 1979, I began a new life with an entirely different community (and wife). Most of these people didn't know me before my isolation stage; they just assumed, I guess, that this was me. It gets to the point that you can't remember what you use to be like.

A year or so ago, a relative known in earlier days, asked me whether I was OK. "Yes", I said. Then they commented that I had not laughted out loud all afternoon. It makes one think. Now, I am more an observer; a laugh is a big smile; I don't enjoy small-talk...however, if you mention your observations of the difference between northerns and southerns...that would catch my attention. Then I can't stop talking. Not just about that topic, but most things wherein people are not repeating the same opinions over and over. Folks have a way of letting you know whether they want to listen to different concepts or whether they just want someone to ditto their opinion.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 12:31 pm
Eva and Lash....it must run in good company.

When I moved South in 1979, I began a new life with an entirely different community (and wife). Most of these people didn't know me before my isolation stage; they just assumed, I guess, that this was me. It gets to the point that you can't remember what you use to be like.

A year or so ago, a relative known in earlier days, asked me whether I was OK. "Yes", I said. Then they commented that I had not laughted out loud all afternoon. It makes one think.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 12:31 pm
CONTINUED

Now, I am more an observer; a laugh is a big smile; I don't enjoy small-talk...however, if you mention your observations of the difference between northerns and southerns...that would catch my attention. Then I can't stop talking. Not just about that topic, but most things wherein people are not repeating the same opinions over and over. Folks have a way of letting you know whether they want to listen to different concepts or whether they just want someone to ditto their opinion.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 06:24 pm
So, would you say you isolate yourself less--but are still not either comfortable or motivated to jump in socially?

If you don't mind me asking--and don't answer if you don't feel like it--hows your appetite?
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 05:54 am
That's close to it. Actually, in recent months I have spent considerable time in working with a local Unitarian U group...lots of small group work...I may be turning that corner. A more aggressive expressive fellow has reappeared. Hard to believe, I use to be a pretty good community process guy, ran community councils and such.

That's been up in the air this year. In general, my appetite revolves around meals....hungry at mealtime; however, Since I sleep in periods of 1 to 2 1/2 hours, it's my night time snacking which has caused problems. In a month, I should know whether improved diet, walking, pills and early morning volunteer work help out with the sleep patterns.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 06:49 pm
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, mapleleaf.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 07:24 pm
Maple,
I admire your dedication to helping yourself any way you can. I'm crossing my fingers too.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 08:47 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 08:49 pm
........ Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 09:17 pm
Good to see you smiling.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 09:33 pm
It sounds like you are turning a corner, and that sounds so wonderful.

Very Happy
<smiling back at Mapleleaf>
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 11:39 am
Very Happy

Yeah, my spidey senses are picking up good things coming up.
0 Replies