Losing a BEST friend of 7+ years. WTF? Any advice is great!

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 09:32 pm
I'll keep this as brief as I can, but it won't be easy:

I've had a friend who's been my "main man" since the end of college (about 7 years now). In the beginning, he sort of "forced" the friendship (called me a lot, IM'ed me, etc) until we started hanging out more.

Long story short, we became best friends. We hung out quite a bit. Gave each other rides to parties. Hooked each other up with girls. Drove to pick up the other if one was too drunk to drive after a party. We even defended each other in a fight when we were accosted by some racists in a bar. Our sense of humor is the same, and our timing was impeccable. We played off each other perfectly and could get people laughing like we were paid to do it. It got to the point where if one of us showed up to a party alone, people would ask where the other was. Everything was great.

Great, that is, until about 2 years ago. I started law school and he got a girlfriend. He also got pretty tight with another mutual friend of ours. We all hung out together still, but I noticed a severe drop off in calls and invites (granted, I was busy with school, but I tried to make the best of it). My time was much more valuable now due to my studies, and I tried to set up appointments to hang out, but he would cancel at the last minute and flippantly offer a change to some other day (which I couldn't do, since I had school work), leaving me high and dry the one day I could hang out.

Its gotten progressively worse. He spends all his time with his "new" friend (our mutual buddy) and girlfriend now. I offer a night to hang out and there's always "something" going on. Now its at the point where I can leave numerous messages on his voicemail (no, not like a stalker. More along the lines of a message a week on three different weeks) and he just doesn't call back. E-mails that used to be responded to quickly and in detail are late and two sentences long. Since we share friends in common, we'll occasionally hang out with "the guys" (birthdays, mainly), and when we do, we're right on the money again. Perfect timing, great fun. Unfortunately, the next day, its right back to "ignore" mode.

Here's the deal: I don't want to lose a friendship, especially one that was so strong, for nothing. We didn't have a falling out, we never really fought, and (I thought) we would always be friends thanks to the solid foundation we established over the years. What the hell?

I sent him an e-mail a few months ago explaining how I felt, and how I didn't want ours to become a "bullshit" surface friendship. I wasn't accusing or angry, I just wanted him to know that I felt we were boys and that it didn't seem right to be put on the back burner for no reason. His reply was, an I quote, "I don't know what to say, other than, your right". That was the entire message. I was expecting that some of his behavior would change after that, but it didn't.

Here's the question:

I don't want to lose this friendship. I have other friends, but none who I am that tight with. I've seen him "write off" other people in the past, and I'm starting to see that behavior toward me. Should I just not care? It seems like my few attempts to have a real talk with him are met with indifference. Should I just pretend like none of it matters and maybe one day we'll start to hang again? Or should I just write him off completely?

...sorry for the long post!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 936 • Replies: 16
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 09:40 pm
I don't understand why you would be concerned about the friendship of some dude.

Forget him and concentrate on the chicks.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 09:41 pm
Yeah, screw him! Unless you're related, he's expendable.

Unless he has Playstation.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 09:43 pm
Let's assume that kicky and Gus are joking...... <glare>.

First of all, it's nice that you have had such a good friendship with this guy. And that you want to keep it. Buuuuut, things do change, people grow, etc. Maybe you've just grown apart. I'm not so good at keeping my friendships active, so maybe I not the best person to give advice.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 09:51 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

My situation with "Chicks" is just fine. They get just as much attention as they've always gotten (which is plenty). No problem there.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 10:02 pm
I don't see where you can do anymore than what you've done; you are still offering your friendship as always but his focus would seem to be other places... you've mentioned you'd like things to be different, you've made yourself available as much as you can... I'd say enjoy the bond when it's there, appreciated what it's been and move on with what else you've got going. If it's just some sort of cycle great, if he's got his head up his ass, well, it was nice while it lasted.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 10:17 pm
That caveman pops up in the oddest places! Hey Blaise.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 10:21 pm
Howdy do, ma'am.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 10:35 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I don't understand why you would be concerned about the friendship of some dude.

"Bro's befo' whoes" brother "Bro's befo' whoes".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 10:36 pm
I am with Blaise.

But I so know how you feel.

Friends are extremely important, and these days often outlast marriages/serious relationships by a long way.

But, you can do no more, and you have to let it go.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 10:53 pm
I still have the same friends I've had since I was a little kid. I couldn't imagine life without them.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 11:06 pm
Hey there, Ms. D.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 12:45 am
When you all do get together do you pick up where you left off, or is it kind of awkward, and strained?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:06 am
BlaiseDaley wrote:
Hey there, Ms. D.

Bunny smoooooooooch!!!!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 05:23 am
Quote:
I've seen him "write off" other people in the past, and I'm starting to see that behavior toward me.

JustanObserver - As you move along in life, you will understand that some people simply behave that way. They become very "tight" with someone, the friendship peaks, and the person moves on to someone else.

Friendship has to be reciprocal. If your friend does not want the level of intensity in the friendship that you have had in the past, there is nothing that you can do about it. Friendship cannot be forced. Move on!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:26 pm
There may be some resentment going on, re your further schooling, if it is further than his. In any case, I agree that friendships are important, and agree with others who said you've done the work to keep it up. He doesn't want to, you can't force it, move on. It's his loss.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:35 pm
I'm with The Crones. You can't force friendship, you can't stop the clock.

Give your "friend" a chance to miss you and use some of your social time and energy for some new relationships.
0 Replies