DeLay attacks prosecutor on campaign website

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 07:37 am
Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay has posted disparaging material about Texas DA Ronnie Earle and his case against DeLay on his congressional campaign website.

The website, funded by DeLay's re-election committee currently accuses Earle of political maneuvering and abuse of his office.

I'm not sure, if this might be illegal (actually I doubt that), but it surely raises significant questions about tainting the potential jury pool for DeLay's case.

Larry Noble, former chief of the Federal Election Commission, claims DeLay "clearly is aiming at the jury pool."

DeLay's congressional campaign website

More at AP: DeLay Uses Website to Attack Prosecutor
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 566 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 07:41 am
opportunistic scumbag bastard. IMO.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 09:38 am
How a Lobbyist Stacked the Deck
Abramoff Used DeLay Aide, Attacks On Allies to Defeat Anti-Gambling Bill http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/15/AR2005101501539.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 09:43 am
When found out, attack the messenger, not the message - typical Republican ploy.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 10:54 am
A typical Republican ploy, Democratic ploy, and ploy of almost any group or individual in trouble.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 11:12 am
After looking at DeLays website,while I will agree that is in poor taste and wrong for him to use his website to attack Earle,The facts he presents arent wrong.
He links you to newspaper articles criticizing Earle,he links you to the other cases about people,both dem AND repub,that earle has maliciously attacked,etc.
I dont know if DeLay is guilty or not,but the articles on the DeLay website are interesting.

But,the biggest fault Earle has committed,IMHO,is when he dropped charges and indictments against some major corporations,AFTER they all contrubuted to his pet charities.
That sure sounds like extortion to me.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 11:16 am
I still have not heard anyone reasonably explain why Earle dropped the indictments against several major corporations AFTER they paid money into his pet charity.

That really cant be defended.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 11:51 am
mysteryman wrote:
I still have not heard anyone reasonably explain why Earle dropped the indictments against several major corporations AFTER they paid money into his pet charity.

That really cant be defended.

It's a pet charity? That has to be the stupidest argument yet from those defending Delay...
This from the National Review
Quote:

source

Next you will be telling us that it was "pet charities" when all those tobacco companies were forced to contribute to antismoking programs as part of the settlements they made.

The law in Texas says that corporations can't donate to campaigns. It isn't a penalty if those that allegedly did it agree to pay for a program that tries to keep corporate money out of campaigns?

This from Texas for Public Justice

Quote:
Earle has dropped charges against three of the corporations in exchange for their promise to cooperate with the investigation.

From the Washington Post
Quote:
Charges against four of the businesses have been dropped in exchange for cooperation in the case.

source
Hmm.. Now it shows partisanship to drop charges if they agree to cooperate?

Let's see.. Who are the ONLY people claiming that the only reason Earle dropped charges against those corporations? Oh.. that's right. The defenders of Delay. No one in the moderate middle is making those outlandish claims.

I can't find a single major news source that has a news story about Earle dropping charges in exchange for donations. Even Fox doesn't appear to have this story. Their only reference cites the National Review. They didn't check the story out themselves.

The real question mystery is how the hell do you people live with yourselves spreading these stories with so little fact?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 12:16 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 03:44 pm
Wrong, as usual, mysteryman.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 04:32 pm
I don't see where it amounts to extortion.

I believe that many criminial cases are settled by a fine paid either to the government or to the harmed person. Fines can be paid to entities other than governments.

This seems to be along those lines . Nothing unusual.
0 Replies