Miracle of Turmeric

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 10:20 pm
WASHINGTON - Turmeric, the Asian spice that makes curry yellow, not to mention French's mustard and Hindu priests' robes, has yet another life: It's a promising potential weapon against several cancers, Alzheimer's, cystic fibrosis, psoriasis and other diseases.

"We know that it's an effective preventive at low doses," said Dr. Bharat Aggarwal, of the experimental therapeutics department at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. "The question is whether larger doses can be therapeutic" for disease sufferers.

At least a dozen clinical trials on humans are under way in the United States, Israel and England to test the safety and dosages of turmeric's main ingredient, curcumin. It's a hot topic in health journals, too, cited 967 times since 2000 in articles reported on PubMed, the National Library of Medicine's research service.

The spice, which is a relative of ginger, comes from the stems of the root of a large-leafed plant widely grown in Asia, especially in the province of Maharashtra in southwest India. The stems are boiled, dried and crushed to a powder with a bitter woody taste that's widely used as a spice and in folk medicines to cure stomach ailments and skin lesions. Turmeric was in use when the first Westerner, Marco Polo, visited the region in the 13th century.

Low rates among Indians for colorectal, prostate and lung cancers as well as coronary heart disease and Alzheimer's first drew Western researchers to curcumin. While genetics might have explained the low incidences, the rise in rates among Indians whose parents had moved to Western countries suggested a dietary cause. Subsequent lab tests on diseased cells and in mice strengthened claims for curcumin.

It's been demonstrated in animals to protect the liver, inhibit tumors, reduce inflammation and fight some infections. Curcumin has both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, according to researchers, and may help lower cholesterol.

Unlike newly invented pharmaceuticals, "we know a lot about curcumin because it's been used widely for many years," said Dr. Christopher Goss of the University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle. He's recruiting cystic fibrosis patients for a Phase I study of curcumin's safety and efficacy. The patients will take up to 3 grams daily - six of the biggest pills that U.S. pharmacies sell. That's more than 50 times the amount of curcumin in a portion of curry.

Goss also will be seeking insight into findings reported last year in the journal Science that curcumin corrects the cystic fibrosis defect in mice. The defect, which suppresses a mutant protein essential to cell health, results in thick mucous that fatally clogs the lungs and pancreas. Researchers from Yale University and the University of Toronto found that curcumin treatment released the protein and enabled cells and membranes to function normally, at least in mice.

Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Therapeutics Inc., a nonprofit drug-research arm, sponsored this study and Goss'. Among Indians and Pakistanis living in England, the cystic fibrosis rate is 1 in 10,000, according to an epidemiological study. That compares with 1 in 2,500 among Caucasians. Rates in India and Pakistan are unknown.

The U.S. National Institute on Aging has launched a clinical trial to assess the safety and efficacy of curcumin for individuals with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease. A report in the Journal of Biological Chemistry in December found that in mice injected with a chemical that mimics Alzheimer's, curcumin reduced by half the buildup of knots in the brain called amyloid plaques, which have been linked to Alzheimer's.

M.D. Anderson, the Houston cancer center, has small trials under way testing curcumin on pancreatic and bone marrow tumors. Colon cancer studies using curcumin are under way elsewhere.

All trials are in the earliest and easiest of four stages, preceding any Food and Drug Administration approval of a curcumin-based pharmaceutical by many years. Many drugs that look promising in mice fail to deliver in humans or prove to have dangerous side effects.

In the less-regulated dietary supplement industry, curcumin's popularity is surging. Grant Ferrier, the editor of Nutrition Business Journal, projects sales of $20 million in 2005 compared with $15 million last year.

Curry Pharmaceuticals of Research Triangle Park, N.C., which hopes in the long run to sell a purified chemical analog of curcumin, is working on a curcumin salve for skin diseases such as psoriasis. Curcumin salves are popular in India and Pakistan.

Curcumin's side effects are less of a concern, because it's been so widely used for so long. But there's an issue with it that doesn't arise with drugs created in labs: Curcumin consumed in small amounts from an early age may ward off some Western ailments, Aggarwal said. But once someone's contracted these diseases, curcumin's ability to counteract them is largely unproved.

---

The University of Maryland Medical Center's Web site has a briefing on turmeric, at www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsHerbs/Turmericch.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,616 • Replies: 19
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 10:30 pm
And, it's so mild that you can throw a little of it into almost any food. I still have to remind myself to use it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 10:32 pm
I take half a teaspoon of curry powder each morning. Turmeric is one of the main ingredients. I don't recommend dumping it on your tongue as I do, for it's a powder; if you inhale wrong you could suck some in the windpipe.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 10:34 pm
Damn, edgar, you're a badass. I thought I was tough chewing raw garlic.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 10:39 pm
I've been noticing items about turmeric for a while. Luckily I like it and use it anyway, if not every day.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 06:35 am
Wow! I love it!

More turmeric.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:56 am
LittleK
I used to eat a clove of garlic per day. Lately I eat two crushed cloves twice a day, because it is supposed to help kill bad bacteria without harming the beneficial kind.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 02:34 am
Only a fool would doubt the proof offered by "The Shroud of Tumeric".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 04:47 am
Holyholyholyholyholyholyholyholyholyholyholyholyholy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:51 am
Also usable to polish fiats..

FIAT
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:00 am
It seems a shame that the first thing for scientists to do is study tumeric in hopes of creating what will surely become a concentrated pill form.

Why not just add more tumeric to the diet ... one way or another?

To me, there are many micro-nutrients to be lost when a single factor such as cucurmin is separated out... so thank you, I'll just keep enjoying tumeric as is.

(Curry on your tongue, Edgar? Holyholy is right.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 04:52 pm
They have to find a way to make it expensive, if they don't decide to suppress the knowledge. As you might surmise, I am really very mistrustful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 04:59 pm
For anyone who doesn't know about Penzey's, here's a link for their turmeric..

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysturmeric.html

It's far and away my favorite source for herbs that I don't grow myself (outside of our farmers' market), and various spices; the catalogs if you get them are fun to read, with interesting recipes..
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 06:54 am
edgarblythe wrote:
They have to find a way to make it expensive, if they don't decide to suppress the knowledge. As you might surmise, I am really very mistrustful.

Me too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:58 am
I bought a cheaper brand of curry powder from the international section at a Fiesta grocery store. It tastes so salty I can't take it. I don't know how many have noticed, but the mixture varies with the brand name, even among the more expensive ones.
0 Replies

fofas1204

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 06:14 pm
Power of Turmeric
I have always loved to cook with curry, but recently i started to add a tablespoon of turmeric to stews. You can try it in curry chicken, beef, or fish. It's great ...believe me. But i found out that if you do not like your food with lots of spices, leave turmeric alone, plus it stains your fingers and plastic containers (may take a couple of washes for it to come out, or bleach it.) This does not bother me, but it bothers my boyfriend who does not like lots of spices, unlike me...i love them. For those like me, add a dollop of it in any dish you like and it may just save your life., or you might just love the new flavour.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 06:21 pm
It's mighty good stuff, used correctly.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 06:24 pm
Too cool!

A very nice Indian restaurant opened a few miles up the road. DEVINE Curry Chicken!!!

So, I bought some curry and experimented with making it myself. Not bad for my first try if I may say so.

Was just wondering what else I could use this bottle of curry for, so thanks for the ideas.

I'm slow, so to clarify... Curry has tumeric, but I can buy tumeric which I assume is the "hot" in the curry and have even spicier curry chicken?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 06:38 pm
I'm not sure which ingredients are hot. I believe there is hot red pepper in all of it, though.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:36 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I bought a cheaper brand of curry powder from the international section at a Fiesta grocery store. It tastes so salty I can't take it. I don't know how many have noticed, but the mixture varies with the brand name, even among the more expensive ones.

Yes, the mixture does vary with the brand.

squinney wrote:

I'm slow, so to clarify... Curry has tumeric, but I can buy tumeric which I assume is the "hot" in the curry and have even spicier curry chicken?

Most curry powders have turmeric (well, some might not) If you are keen on using turmeric for its medicinal qualities, you can use turmeric in your food...while cooking vegetables/chilcken. Use turmeric in small quanities. No, turmeric is not the "hot" in the curry..the hot comes from red chillies and black pepper (or in some other powders, with green chillies).
0 Replies