Lobster: Steamed, broiled or grilled

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 03:43 pm
I just ordered a lobster dinner from the restaurant downstairs, and they asked me whether I wanted it steamed, broiled or grilled. I don't even remember the last time I ordered lobster, but I don't ever remember getting a choice. I just thought it was broiled.

I panicked when she asked me and said I wanted it steamed. Now, is that going to make a big difference? What do you prefer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 11,644 • Replies: 23
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 03:46 pm
I am sitting here munching on a peanut butter and mayonaisse sandwich and you have the audacity to ask me about lobster?
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 03:47 pm
Generally, I boil lobsters.
But I've heard steaming is an excellent way to
cook them if you've got the gear.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 03:50 pm
Sorry Gus. Sometimes I feel guilty for this lavish lifestyle I lead, while others have to eat peanut butter.

But then I think, screw them, they're just lazy, inherently worthless scum and they deserve everything they get, and it's all better again.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 03:51 pm
<singing>

I'm gettin' lobster...I'm gettin' lobster...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 03:55 pm
After one of my italian class exams the teacher organized a feast a a student's home. She taught us all to make homemade tagliatelle, and I brought a bolognese sauce I did from Marcella Hazan's recipe, and the student whose house it was made Lorenza di Medici's lobster sauce - which involved garlic and butter and probably white wine. I just looked on line for the recipe and couldn't find it; have it in a cookbook but my cookbooks are all packed. Anyway, that lobster sauce was fabulous.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 03:57 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I am sitting here munching on a peanut butter and mayonaisse sandwich and you have the audacity to ask me about lobster?

Hello clogged artery http://www.borge.diesal.de/kyle.gif
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:06 pm
Really? I eat about a half a jar of peanut butter a day. I thought it cleansed your arteries.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:07 pm
Peanut butter has the good fats in it.

And in other news, Rhode Island: neither a road, or an island.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:09 pm
I wonder if I could sue Calamity Jane for causing me alarm?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:26 pm
Go ahead, make my day !
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:37 pm
Steamed is much better than broiled. The lobster doesn't get dried out the way it does when cooked with a dry heat.

Yummmmm,

Send me the extras, ok?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:38 pm
If I could have lobster again, it would definitely be steamed.
mmmmmmmmm
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:52 pm
Mmmmm....that was some good ****. So since I was here alone, I just jumped all over it and started smashing it apart like a monkey with a coconut, but it occurred to me, I could never pull off lobster in a restaurant on a date. I'm too much of a slob. They do give you some kind of lobster smashing nutcracker-looking thingies, don't they?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:58 pm
The best way to enjoy lobster is to take it home alive from the market, then fill your bathtub with seawater. Deposit the little feller in the tub, strip off your clothes and jump in.
Winner gets to eat, loser has a most uncomfortable evening.

p.s. don't forget to take the rubberbands off of the claws, a fair fight is best.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:59 pm
So the place is called the Atlantic Grill, on Third Avenue between 76th and 77th. I have always heard very good things about this place. I agree. Thumbs up from me. And a full two-pound lobster dinner only cost $45.00. Good deal for a place with such excellent food. I've lived above this restaurant for over two years. I can't believe I never tried it before. Mmmmmm, good!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 05:00 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
The best way to enjoy lobster is to take it home alive from the market, then fill your bathtub with seawater. Deposit the little feller in the tub, strip off your clothes and jump in.
Winner gets to eat, loser has a most uncomfortable evening.

p.s. don't forget to take the rubberbands off of the claws, a fair fight is best.

That sounds like fun. I would think that cleaning the tub would be the first chore of the night though. If you saw mine, you'd know exactly what I'm saying.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 05:50 pm
Reminds me of myself, PDiddie, and Mrs. PDiddie each having a whole dungeness crab at (I think) Johnson's in San Francisco. My plate and my table area looked like a typhoon hit it. PDiddie's plate and table area looked pristine. He showed me how to do it right After my decimation road trip.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:33 pm
$45 was what I spent on groceries for the week. Around here you can get a very good lobster dinner for $19.95, but not on weekends. I loved lobster as a kid growing up near the ocean until one day someone told me they were related to spiders. Couldn't eat them for years, but I'm over it now. Boiled is good.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:06 am
Oh yeah, steamed is the way to go. But really...who cares...cause it's lobster!

Eating lobster is one of those fine times when I actually prefer a nice cold beer over wine. A strong beer! delish.
0 Replies