Proof of dumbed-down USA educational system

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:00 am
So I guess Zippo that the democrats gotta stop using them thar big words. You'd a thunk they'd a catched on ta that thar idea by now. Guess them thar repubs has more smarts than you thunk, huh? :wink:
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:07 am
Americans are hopeless when it comes to geography, many can't tell you what states border on theirs. They only know how to get to the nearest mall. My redneck neighbor asked me if I had a road map of the US after Hurricane Katrina, he wanted to find out "exactly" where Louisianna was.
I've seen these types of interviews on night time talk shows and I always thought some the people should have their high school diplomas revoked.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:07 am
But ofcourse they had plan 'B' in place just incase.

If we can't make it, fake it :wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:08 am
CoastalRat wrote:
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:
msolga wrote:
Um ... I'm rather nervous about downloading stuff from unknown sites just now (some messy internet problems of late). Would someone whose seen the video be so kind as to tell me which countries were were suggested for invasion? I do hope I'm not living in one of them! Shocked

Well, it did look like a lot of people were sticking pins in what appeared to be Australia as their country of choice to attack.

Of course, it appeared the questioner had Australia labled as some other country, so that may explain why. :wink:

I'm no brain surgeon, but I can tell if someone has mislabeled a whole country for God's sake.

Yes BTV, but unlike many people in this country, you and I have a tad bit of intelligence. It has been shown repeatedly and in many different ways that the average American is woefully deficient when it comes to geography.

Isn't it grand to be in the minority of intelligent people?

I've never been as proud of my GED as I am at this moment.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:19 am
Kinda brings a tear to your eye, don't it BVT?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:25 am
Since the title is "proof of the dumbed-down USA educational system" I had a thought why it seems that once kids get out of school and get older they don't remember anything they "learned."

Speaking for myself I can say that I only crammed for test and then promptly forgot it. There are exceptions but I think a lot of people, redneck or otherwise, did the same. I can honestly admit that before the 9/11 I never even heard of Afghanistan much less knew where it was on the map. But maybe I would have gotten lucky if somebody caught me walking down the sidewalk on main street and asked me to point on the map where Syria is, but I wouldn't count on it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:47 am
Green Witch wrote:
Americans are hopeless when it comes to geography, many can't tell you what states border on theirs. They only know how to get to the nearest mall. My redneck neighbor asked me if I had a road map of the US after Hurricane Katrina, he wanted to find out "exactly" where Louisianna was.
I've seen these types of interviews on night time talk shows and I always thought some the people should have their high school diplomas revoked.

I knew this guy who when he found out I had lived in Fla told me he once went on vacation there, like within the last 5 years.

He couldn't remember what towns, but knew he was on the beach, I asked him which coast. Didn't know. Finally asked him if there were big waves or little waves "Well, sorta big I guess"

In this same conversation he admitted he didn't know where Hawaii was.
We were in Wisconsin at the time, so in VERY general terms I explained how you would keep going West until you got to the Pacific Ocean, then would travel by plane or boat to the middle of the Pacific.

he asked...."So, If I was on a boat and went out to Hawaii, would they let you get off there and look around"?

No Nimrod, that is the one state in the US where you as a citizen of the US are not allowed to "look around"

Re: the video....

All I can say is those Canadians better watch out!!!

Wow - South Korea is a lot larger than I thought! And WTF are all those big animals hopping around?
0 Replies