is love enough?

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 02:55 am
i found out a while back that my wife was having multiple affairs. (discussed here http://www.able2know.com/forums/about58129.html)
i've been trying hard to make things work ever since. i believe she loves me. however, she is not going above and beyond to show me how much she loves me. I've explicitedly expressed to her what I need from her to be able to move on. I essentially need to feel "special". I need constant attention and reassurances. To me this isn't asking too much and she should be understanding and compliant. Some days she's good about it and I feel good. Other days she's distant, which makes me depressed. She has quit her job at my request and now she is home with me 24/7 (I work from home). She feels smothered and the whole thing is overwhelming her. Under normal circumstances I can see how that could be, but after what she has done to me I would think she could/would cope.
What I'm wondering is, is if being in love is enough to make a marriage work. It would be truly sad if two people genuinely love each other but can't make it work. I would do anything for my wife but I don't get the same feeling from her. She told me tonight that she wished I would act like a man; that I didn't require the love from her like a child would. It was very hurtful but eye-opening at the same time.

Am I not being a man?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 613 • Replies: 3
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 03:33 am
"Is love enough?"

I personally don't believe love is enough. You also need the following:

1.To know each other, what you want from each other, and from the world (society).

2.To communicate with each other, and respect each other.

3.To Trust each other, and support each other.

4.Once you know each other, and what you both want, then to work hard together to acquire those things.

I also believe that once you loose respect, and trust, your in real trouble.

If you have those things your love will be stronger.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 03:40 pm
Nick, you've been through hell lately. First, I just want to say, my heart goes out to you and I know others here feel the same. Please continue to post here, because you can make some connections with really good and caring people here who will gladly let you talk out your feelings.

Next, the first thing that strikes me about your post is that your wife made that comment about you needing to "be a man." Yuck. I want you to know that, much as I hope that your marriage can be saved, if it doesn't work out, you need to remind yourself that there are many women who will value you for your sensitivity. Don't work on developing that "manly" thing of not showing feelings, it's not good. If you can show vulnerability to your wife, you're better off than many guys-- I speak as the girlfriend of a man who has been sucked into the societal role of not showing his feelings because that's not manly, and I can't tell you how often it hurts our relationship.

Also, I think you're right to feel that your wife should be going above and beyoond at this point. I read through the other thread on this, and look at all the times she continued to contact these guys, even after you found out. She really does have a lot to make up for here. If she can't go the extra mile after all of the hurt she's given you, I don;t see how you can stay with her.

There is also the matter of being home together 24/7. Yes, she still should get to have some alone time-- but it was right for her to quit her job to show that she was serious-- and also she's shown that she can't be trusted very far. So she should be willing to have her alone time be somewhat restricted for a while, shouldn't she? How many times did she continue to email and call guys from payphones, etc? You have reason to not trust her too much, and I hope she understands that though she feels smothered by all the time together, she needs to be putting herself second here for a while.

Good luck nick, and stay in touch.
0 Replies

clairedan

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 08:26 pm
Nick, just read all your posts about your marriage,
so sorry for all the pain.

I don't think "being home together 24/7" is a good way to solve the problems.

Wish you can be frank to your heart:"Do you still trust this relationship"?
I always believe trust is one basic thing of marriage,
If you lost it, your marriage will become harder..

good luck!
0 Replies