Busted- Bush Teleconference With Soldiers Staged

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 05:03 pm
Quote:
Bush Teleconference With Soldiers Staged "OK, so let's just walk through this," Barber said. "Captain Kennedy, you answer the first question and you hand the mike to whom?"

"Captain Smith," Kennedy said.

"Captain. Smith? You take the mike and you hand it to whom?" she asked.

"Captain Kennedy," the soldier replied.

And so it went.

Barber asked.

"That's going to go to Captain Pratt," one of the soldiers said.

she asked.

Before he took questions, Bush thanked the soldiers for serving and reassured them that the U.S. would not pull out of Iraq until the mission was complete.

"So long as I'm the president, we're never going to back down, we're never going to give in, we'll never accept anything less than total victory," Bush said.

The president told them twice that the American people were behind them.

"You've got tremendous support here at home," Bush said.

Less than 40 percent in an AP-Ipsos poll taken in October said they approved of the way Bush was handling Iraq. Just over half of the public now say the Iraq war was a mistake.

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Thursday's event was coordinated with the Defense Department but that the troops were expressing their own thoughts. With satellite feeds, coordination often is needed to overcome technological challenges, such as delays, he said.

"I think all they were doing was talking to the troops and letting them know what to expect," he said, adding that the president wanted to talk with troops on the ground who have firsthand knowledge about the situation.

The soldiers all gave Bush an upbeat view of the situation.

The president also got praise from the Iraqi soldier who was part of the chat.

"Thank you very much for everything," he gushed. "I like you."

On preparations for the vote, 1st Lt. Gregg Murphy of Tennessee said: "Sir, we are prepared to do whatever it takes to make this thing a success. ... Back in January, when we were preparing for that election, we had to lead the way. We set up the coordination, we made the plan. We're really happy to see, during the preparation for this one, sir, they're doing everything."

On the training of Iraqi security forces, Master Sgt. Corine Lombardo from Scotia, N.Y., said to Bush: "I can tell you over the past 10 months, we've seen a tremendous increase in the capabilities and the confidences of our Iraqi security force partners. ... Over the next month, we anticipate seeing at least one-third of those Iraqi forces conducting independent operations."

Lombardo told the president that she was in New York City on Nov. 11, 2001, when Bush attended an event recognizing soldiers for their recovery and rescue efforts at Ground Zero. She said the troops began the fight against terrorism in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and were proud to continue it in Iraq.

"I thought you looked familiar," Bush said, and then joked: "I probably look familiar to you, too."

Paul Rieckhoff, director of the New York-based Operation Truth, an advocacy group for U.S. veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan, denounced the event as a "carefully scripted publicity stunt." Five of the 10 U.S. troops involved were officers, he said.

"If he wants the real opinions of the troops, he can't do it in a nationally televised teleconference," Rieckhoff said. "He needs to be talking to the boots on the ground and that's not a bunch of captains."

SOURCE

Ok, ok... now before we hear from all the Bush apologists, lets just see what Scott McClellan had to say at the White House press conference about this:

Quote:
Q Scott, why did the administration feel it was necessary to coach the soldiers that the President talked to this morning in Iraq?

MR. McCLELLAN: I'm sorry, I don't know what you're suggesting.

Q Well, they discussed the questions ahead of time. They were told exactly what the President would ask, and they were coached, in terms of who would answer what question, and how they would pass the microphone.

MR. McCLELLAN: I'm sorry, are you suggesting that what our troops were saying was not sincere, or what they said was not their own thoughts?

Q Nothing at all. I'm just asking why it was necessary to coach them.

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, in terms of the event earlier today, the event was set up to highlight an important milestone in Iraq's history, and to give the President an opportunity to, once again, express our appreciation for all that our troops are doing when it comes to defending freedom, and their courage and their sacrifice. And this is a satellite feed, as you are aware, and there are always technological challenges involved when you're talking with troops on a satellite feed like this. And I think that we worked very closely with the Department of Defense to coordinate this event. And I think all they were doing was talking to the troops and letting them know what to expect.

Q But we asked you specifically this morning if there would be any screening of questions or if they were being told in any way what they should say or do, and you indicated no.

MR. McCLELLAN: I don't think that's what the question was earlier today. I think the question earlier today was asking if they could ask whatever they want, and I said, of course, the President was -- and you saw --

Q And I asked if they were pre-screened.

MR. McCLELLAN: You saw earlier today the President was trying to engage in a back-and-forth with the troops. And I think it was very powerful what Lieutenant Murphy was saying at the end of that conversation, when he was talking about what was going on in January, how the American troops and coalition forces were in the lead when it came to providing security for the upcoming election, an election where more than eight million Iraqis showed up and voted. It was a great success.

And he talked about how this time, when we had the preparations for the upcoming referendum this Saturday, you have Iraqi forces that are in the lead, and the Iraqi forces are the ones that are doing the planning and preparing and taking the lead to provide for their own security as they get ready to cast their ballots again.

Q But I also asked this morning, were they being told by their commanders what to say or what to do, and you indicated, no. Was there any prescreening of --

MR. McCLELLAN: I'm not aware of any such -- any such activities that were being undertaken. We coordinated closely with the Department of Defense. You can ask if there was any additional things that they did. But we work very closely with them to coordinate these events, and the troops can ask the President whatever they want. They've always been welcome to do that.

SOURCE

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,888 • Replies: 29
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 05:24 pm
Purty friggin funny.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 06:15 pm
I am REALLY curious to hear how this is going to be defended/downplayed. Unfortunately I have the odd feeling that the hardcore Bush supporters (we know who they are) will pretend like this didn't happen and this thread doesn't exist...

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
0 Replies

yardsale

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 06:38 pm
If they were not staged you know that the most brainwashed soldiers where choosen by the officers in command. Thrust me, I just got out of the army (spent 6yrs in). It really is just a dictatorship! You get told so much bullshit it is not funny. I had to use 10 cases of baby wipes just to clean up after the six years that ended this past July. A good soldier is a machine, just follows orders!
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 12:04 pm
You can see the entire teleconference on C-SPAN

http://www.c-span.org/

It is obviously staged and scripted, however Bush could have some scripting help on his portion. It must have been painful to be one of the troops on camera, and try to avoid wincing while listening to him stumble through his opening remarks.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 12:11 pm
No problem for soldiers to smile through BS.

They're trained to paint rocks, for God's sake.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 12:47 pm
A few of them appeared to be laughing.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 09:37 pm
Yes, the silence from the right is deafening. When they know there isn't a chance in hell that they can defend this sort of nonsense, there isn't even an acknowledgement that this sort of behavior isn't right.

Not a "I still support him, but that was pretty shady", or a "Bush should know better."

Nothing. Not a word from the righties.

This is why I don't bother joining in on the debates here. Although it is fun to contribute an article on occasion and watch them froth at the mouth. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

yardsale

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 09:49 pm
There must not be many philosophers among them, just a lot of pseudo cronies or yes men/women!!!! Embarrassed Razz

I could not help myself!!!!!!!!!! Confused
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 09:51 pm
Well, the atmosphere here in the politics forum DOES make it really hard to say so out loud when you think your "side" has pulled something really dumb/wrong.

The gloat factor from the nastiest members of the other side would be almost more than a normal human can bear, if you are clearly seen to be from one side or the other.

Especially (or so I think) since the election, when the gloat stuff was extraordinarily over the top.

It'd be nice if it wasn't so, but it is.

More reasonable folks from either side wouldn't act that way, but I think a pretty deafening chorus of nastiness would happen.

Of course, one oughtn't to care...but.....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 11:24 pm
Five of the 10 U.S. troops involved were officers, and looking at this, the US troops in Iraq must be a bunch of captains, I've learnt as well.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 12:10 am
dlowan is right. Who wants to come back to a site where we villify each other? I mean, who wants to sit there wondering what vicious personal cracks they are going to read in response to what they posted the day before? You can only put up with that for so long. That will kill a site stone dead.

Now if anyone even mentions "kumbaya" I warn you I will hunt you down and force you to listen to the collected speeches of Dubya.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 06:34 am
Hmmmm? I said nothing about the site.

I just think it means there is less acknowledgement of the good in the other side, and the bad in one's own, than there might be.

I don't know many sites, but I would guess A2k is more civilised than most, because of the moderation. I doubt politics is different anywhere else, except sites where moderators decide if a post will appear or not before it shows up publicly.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:13 am
Many political sites are run by proponents of one or the other side. In a lot of cases, posts from the opposite end of the political spectrum are simply deleted.
0 Replies

terrygallagher

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:50 am
I agree, most sites seem to be a load of "lefties" or "righties" and there is no actual debate about anything, only agreement.

But I do find that the debate here can decend into the sort seen in school play grounds, but it is more mature and coherent than most of the debate seen on TV between polititions.

I think the out cry over this is pointless. Did anyone think that something organized soley by politicion of a particular ppersuasion would let anyone go on TV and say what they wanted? Everyone at those pro bush, pro republican rallies everyone is vetted to make sure they're the right sort of people? Same with the Democrates.

I don't see how "politition act in a underhand way" is news.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 08:19 am
MSNBC last night called the event an orchestrated disaster. They were asking if Karl Rove is still on his game, speculating that if he was this kind of thing would have been better 'handled'. The thought was that Rove is too busy worrying about his own butt to keep the President out of the soup. George needs all the help he can get staying afloat and having a Chief of Staff with his own weighty problems isn't helping.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 10:01 am
Is there any event that Bush is involved in that is not staged. Where the participants are not screened and only Bush supporters are allowed to attend? Bush is an embarrasment to America.
0 Replies

RichNDanaPoint

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 10:20 am
au1929 wrote:
Bush is an embarrasment to America.

Just think how his parents must feel lol Smile
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 11:10 am
According to one of the soldiers who participated in the conference, it wasn't "staged" and they weren't "coached". When you want the truth of the matter, it's generally best to consult one of the participants.

Of course, I realize the ABBers aren't interested in the truth...just in bashing Bush every chance they get.

Whine on, ABBers.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 11:22 am
JustWonders wrote:
According to one of the soldiers who participated in the conference, it wasn't "staged" and they weren't "coached". When you want the truth of the matter, it's generally best to consult one of the participants.

So you are saying it was just a remarkable string of coincidences that the soldiers questions and the presidents answers during the conference are a perfect match for the ones during the practice session ?

Or is this just another attempt by the liberal media to undermine the infallibility of the President ?
0 Replies