Piffka

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 11:41 am
sozobe wrote:

Assuming the following additional conditions:

1.) It looks good
2.) It is close by
3.) It would fit in my house
4.) It's not prohibitively heavy

Do you think I should still NOT get it? If so, why?

I'm just a bit confused that you're advising I not get a piano that is in my city, has been "recently professionally tuned" and is being given away just because a new, fancy one was recieved as a gift and then directing my attention to a piano that "needs work" in (Austin?)

1 - Looking good is in the eyes of the beholder... but it probably doesn't look showroom spiffy. Mine is a hideous pale oak, somewhat scuffed. I keep meaning to paint it shiny black.
2 - Fifteen minutes? That doesn't seem to be giving yourself much leeway.
3 - An upright is likely to be just under eyebrow height and it will be need about six feet of running wall space. It will also stick out close to three feet and you'll need at least another two feet to have a comfortable bench experience. It needs to be against an inside wall.
4 - Uprights are ALL HEAVY. If you have four students and not more than a couple of steps, you can move it. It should be wrapped with heavy blankets or rugs and carefully tied and not left outside for very long. You'll need some lumber for a ramp to roll it into a pickup, other inclines.
5 - It will need to be tuned again after moving but you should wait 2 weeks or more to get it settled. Call and find your piano tuner first and see what he says.

IMO - Practically any piano is better than no piano at all.

A piano stool could easily cost $150 but you might get a bench for less.
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/73660342908080_0.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 12:45 pm
(Learning a lot, thanks. Hope this isn't too much of a thread hijack, boomer, let me know if so.)

The comment about not taking a free piano if I can't afford a professional mover brings me back to, if this checks out in most ways -- good company, in good condition, etc. -- is it feasible to get it just to have it for later? As in get it, move it, don't do anything in particular to it, and then in a year or two when we have more money and when sozlet is more ready to really use it, put the money into it at that point? Or is it something that would need to be addressed right away if it's going to be addressed?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:29 pm
Here in my town one can rent strong steel ramps from Don's Rent-All....

When my husband used to move furniture for UPS - things like heavy armoires but probably not as heavy as an upright piano - they had serious big hefty dollies and I suppose those are rentable.

I'd enquire though about charges for moving by a real piano mover... seems worth it to me, re liability, piano dropping on student's toes, the yelling about which then causes piano to go out of tune...
0 Replies

luvmykidsandhubby

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 09:18 pm
bookmarking
0 Replies