Piano lessons

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:56 am
Now there's a useful post!!!!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:58 am
dupre, I think, knows a thing or two about this.

I'd listen.

It would be worth the $100 to have it evaluated.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 11:01 am
Thanks for the reality check, dupre.

I've researched the company and it looks quite reputable/ good quality. And seems (who knows) to be well taken care of from the blurb.

I have a friend with a pickup truck who can help me pick it up -- are you saying it will have to be re-tuned after moving, no matter what?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 11:21 am
From thebluebookofpianos.com, on the company:

Quote:
Manufactured by The Cable Company, of Chicago, a piano manufacturing enterprise unsurpassed in the amount of the product or in financial strength by any other institution of similar character in the world's musical industries. The Cable piano is an instrument of very high standing and one which has also attained great popularity and is sold extensively in all parts of the United States and largely abroad. This piano, bearing as it does, the name of this big company, represents to an unusual degree, big value. It possesses that pleasing attribute, an exceptionally sweet tone, one of richness and exquisite delicacy, especially recommending it for parlor use. Its lasting qualities are as unexcelled as skill, first class workmanship and patient attention to the infinite details of piano building can insure.

(I don't know enough about it to order an appraisal from that site.)
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 12:20 pm
That does sound like a terrific manufacturer. I'm excited for you!

There's a reason there are movers that specialize in pianos.

Will you be going up or down any stairs? And do those stairs have a turn in them?

There is special equipment for moving pianos, and this one will be heavy, very heavy and possibly physically dangerous.

One mover said that the wood gets heavier as it ages. It might be a beast.

You could at least have professional movers load it on to the truck, and then have others come and unload it at your site. I tried to get that for myself, but they wouldn't give me a price break.

You might see if you can find out about the special equipment they use and the special care they take with it.

For my 100-year-old upright Knabe ... the movers were able to take off some of the weight by removing the panel--underneath the keys, where the pedals are, at the top there should be two latches and then just take off the panel.

You'll need something, and I'm not sure what it is, to lock down the top of the piano, the very top piece that can be lifted for extra sound. It's in the way during a move.

I had several professional piano movers refuse to even consider taking the thing up stairs and at the time I was looking at the smallest piano .. a spinet! And so I asked one that would why and he mentioned some special equipment and how they strap the thing down, but I just can't remember what he said exactly.

And yes, you will have to have it tuned after the move. And if you need any strings replaced, you'll have to have it retuned about two months later.

Ask if the piano was actually played. A piano that sits loses a lot. A well-broken in piano is a better instrument.

Ask if it was moved around a lot or if it was stationary.

If you get to play on it and notice that some of the notes don't "ring" out, but seem muted, that's just because they need new hammers. Not expensive and not difficult to do yourself. You can buy them online somewhere. I have a friend who changed a few of hers out herself. The hammers have little indentations on them and over time those indentations can become enlarged, and then the hammer doesn't hit the strings right, so you don't get that note suspended in the air like the others. Not a big deal, but it sounds awful.

If you hit a note, and you should go through each note one a time from beginning to end. Doesn't hurt to go first and do that to a good piano so you will hear and feel the difference. .. If you hit a note and you get two sounds coming back at you, it might mean a cracked or warped sound board. Pass on the instrument. You can take off that front panel and sometimes see the crack, but you won't be able to see if it's only warped. Try it at a store first, if they will let you so you will know what you are seeing.

Ask if the instrument can be turned to A440. If not, then the strings are too old, and although it might be in tune with itself, you'll never be able to combine it with a flute or whatever. It also might indicate that the strings will need to be replaced soon.

Well, I hope I'm right on all the above. Just recollections over time, really.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 12:29 pm
one of my favorite books ---

The Piano Shop on the Left Bank

Editorial review -
From Publishers Weekly
In this engaging memoir, an American writer living in Paris recounts his experiences in a piano shop tucked into an out-of-the way street on the rive gauche. Because the elderly proprietor refuses to admit strangers to the atelier where he repairs, rebuilds and sells used pianos to select customers, Carhart does not at first get in. But with an introduction from another client and the help of the owner's younger assistant and heir apparent, Luc, Carhart is finally welcomed into a magical space crowded with pianos of all makes and vintages. Soon he becomes one of the favored insiders who stop by nearly every day to gossip and talk about pianos with Luc. Luc's love of pianos is so infectious that Carhart's own childhood passion for the instrument is rekindled. He starts to take lessons again and buys a piano for his small apartment, a purchase that takes some time, for Luc, who regards a piano as a member of a family, prides himself on finding instruments compatible with his customers. Caught up in Luc's zeal, Carhart immerses himself in the history and mechanics of the piano, and he includes chapters on the craft of piano making, the instrument's development over the centuries and the fine points of tuning. In his renewed fascination, he reflects on piano teachers, those of his childhood as well as several renowned teachers of today. Carhart conveys his affection for Luc, the atelier and the piano with such enthusiasm that readers might be inspired to return to their own childhood instrument. At the very least, they will enjoy this warmhearted, intelligent insight into a private Paris.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 12:33 pm
ooooh ... I'd love to have that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 12:36 pm
Damn, I leant my copy to someone, ne'er seen again..

Mine had a different cover, but was the same small book..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:04 pm
My ardor has cooled somewhat -- still haven't heard back from the guy, most interested at this point in dimensions and what the thing LOOKS like. I'm not actively looking for a piano, and am absolutely uninterested in buying anything for $600, so am only interested in this if it is cost-efficient. Depending on dimensions, I might have a really good place for it in my living room, and when I was doing research there were some pictures of some absolutely gorgeous Cable pianos.

If this one is gorgeous and the proper dimensions (not more than X inches wide), what I can wrap my mind around is to pick this one up using a few strong guys (hubby, neighbor) and neighbor's pick-up truck, and then just having it until such time as we want to put the money into getting it up to speed -- or, if that time doesn't seem to arrive, passing it on to someone else. (Thinking about it at all in terms of an instrument for sozlet, who has shown some musical tendencies, but is still only 4. Well, 5 in a week.) The distance from truckbed to final resting place (if it'd fit) is only about 25 feet, with no stairs. A circa-1930's nice-to-look-at piano could really fit into our late-20's living room, whether it is perfectly tuned or not.

At this point, waiting for more info, then will see. Don't want an albatross.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 09:45 am
Don't know where you live or how far you would travel, but last I looked there were several free pianos in craigslist in Austin. With pictures. You might check some other cities.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 09:47 am
Who was that addressed to, dupre?

I live in Columbus, and the free piano I'm considering is from craigslist...
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 10:18 am
Hi. Addressed to you. I was just thinking that if you checked some neighboring cities you might find more free pianos.

Like I said earlier, people can't give them away.

But if you did get lucky with a terrific manufacturer and if it played well and did work with your decor, and you have the truck and manpower, well then, you just might want to look around at some other large cities in your area. You might get lucky.

There are several in Austin for free online through craigslist. But that'd probably be too far . . .
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 10:22 am
FREE PIANO Vintage upright, good condition, needs work. Come get it. Mike 859-647-5613 ext. 218 or 513-541-2685
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 10:24 am
I wouldn't want to go to another large city.

Basically, if this particular piano works out, cool. "Works out" would mean nearby (15 minutes or less), nice-looking, good quality, and correct dimensions. Other than that, it's more of a "hey, gift horse, let me look at those teeth of yours" dealie than actively looking for a piano -- if it doesn't work out, I'll happily go piano-less. :-)

Where things stand with this particular piano is that the guy told me he still has it, I asked for further details, and he hasn't replied yet. I have the impression he doesn't check email often. When I get his reply, I'll go from there.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 10:37 am
This has kind of meandered, so let me recap. Things started here:

sozobe wrote:
Another free piano on Craigslist! Should I get it?

Quote:
Older upright piano Cable Co. Chicogo, Il. circa 1930's. Recently professionaly tuned. Free to good home. Son recenly received an old Steinway upright from g-mom.

FREE, mind you!

(I've asked for dimensions... may have somewhere to put it. We have a little toy piano and sozlet was playing "scary music" with a faraway look in her eye last night...)

Then you said not to take the bait, for a variety of reasons. Since then I've explained that it's from a good company and reiterated that it's free. Assuming the following additional conditions:

1.) It looks good
2.) It is close by
3.) It would fit in my house
4.) It's not prohibitively heavy

Do you think I should still NOT get it? If so, why?

I'm just a bit confused that you're advising I not get a piano that is in my city, has been "recently professionally tuned" and is being given away just because a new, fancy one was recieved as a gift and then directing my attention to a piano that "needs work" in (Austin?)
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 10:55 am
Sorry for the confusion.

I thought you couldn't get answers from the guy who is giving away the piano.

And on the chance you do play it and it sounds iffy, as far as a cracked or warped sound board, thought you might like to know that those things are out there everywhere.

I put in Free Upright Piano in google and got about 350 hits:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22free+upright+piano%22+&hl=en&lr=&start=10&sa=N

Sorry for any frustration on your part.

If it checks out, but all means, you are one lucky person!

And ... May you never be piano-less.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 11:00 am
I see. No, I just sent my email yesterday and he took a good week to answer the last one. I expect to get answers, just haven't yet.

Quote:
May you never be piano-less.

:-)
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 11:04 am
Should I Invest the Money?

The following is from a discussion on our Piano Forums ...
Hello,
From reading other posts I take it that it is not worth the money or time to restore an old upright. My piano is a 1898 Weber. It is in excellent condition. I bought it at the Salvation Army for fifty dollars.Should I spend more and get it restored? Thanks!

It depends on what you want. As it stands the piano is probably worth between $0 and $500 and all components have considerable wear. Assuming that the basic structure such as pinblock, soundboard, and bridges are sound, you could spend perhaps about $2500 to $2800 for partial rebuilding and have the piano restrung, have new hammers, damper felt, and bridle tapes put on the action, and have the keys rebushed. If the other action parts such as hammer butts, shanks, and whippens are in fairly reasonable condition and not becoming brittle with age that's the minimum to get you a musical instrument that will probably sound very good and play decently.
Because of the wear that's certain to exist in the other action parts it won't be a piano that can be perfectly regulated or will feel and play like a new piano. If you had to sell it with some effort you might be able to get $1500 for it. If you went the whole distance and had the action fully rebuilt with all new parts you would probably end up spending about twice the previous estimate. Then if you want add in about $1800 to get the case refinished.

By the time you are done you would have a really nice vintage upright piano, but that money would also buy you a really nice new upright. After doing all that if you had to sell the piano you would never get anywhere near what you put into it out of it. That might give you some idea why old uprights such as this almost never get rebuilt. One last comment: you say the piano is in excellent condition - how do you know?
Niles Duncan
Piano rebuilder, Pasadena, CA

http://www.pianoworld.com/value.htm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 11:07 am
A $0 investment is pretty good. :-) What I take from the blurb is that it is just fine as-is, but they got a new and even better one and don't need two.

But we'll see.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 11:34 am
<from a past life bit of knowledge>

If you are moving it yourself, you will need to get it re-tuned.

Piano moving is a real specialty - I'd honestly not take a free piano that I couldn't afford to have moved by a piano mover. Seriously.

~~~~~

As to where to put it, I've been in lotsa homes where they're in living rooms/dining rooms/play rooms - wherever there's turnaround room. There was one in the space sorta between the kitchen and dining room - kinda like a giant alcove - weirdest spot <IMHO> - but it fit, and the kids liked it there - close to parents in kitchen while they practiced/played/noodled around on keyboard.
0 Replies