Inbreeding...

Kasaova

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:22 am
As far as people talking about the genes factor, someone told me that many so called genetic disorders were proven incorrect?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,592 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Chai

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:33 am
excuse me?

can you rephrase that a tad more clearly?
0 Replies

Kasaova

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 01:54 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
excuse me?

can you rephrase that a tad more clearly?

OK, sorry a friend of mine was saying that some scientists claimed that marrying from your relatives increases the chance of having kids with abnormalities in other words retarded, for the reason that there is not enough variation in the genes for producing a healthy babe. In other words if you married, someone you were not related you would likely have healthy kids, with no abnormalities. He (My friend) said that this was dismissed and disprove and that it was not the case. So I would like to know if this is true or not.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 02:02 pm
Well I can tell you that my nephew, who is also my son, is not retarded. And my aunt is also my mom, and I'm not retarded. And I've got a few sons and daughters who are also first cousins, and they're not retarded.

INCEST IS BEST! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 02:04 pm
Slappy are you sure you're not retarded.. because you come off the way sometimes :-)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 02:05 pm
Have you or your friend ever visited the Appalachians?
0 Replies

Kasaova

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 02:05 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Well I can tell you that my nephew, who is also my son, is not retarded. And my aunt is also my mom, and I'm not retarded. And I've got a few sons and daughters who are also first cousins, and they're not retarded.

INCEST IS BEST! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Haha very funny.
0 Replies

Kasaova

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 02:07 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Have you or your friend ever visited the Appalachians?

No I haven't...
0 Replies

Kasaova

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 02:09 pm
When you have two closely related people having a child, there genomes will be very similar so they can end up having a high frequency of homozygous recessive alleles in their offspring. Recessive alleles often lead to genetic disorders apparantly...
0 Replies

Kasaova

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 02:17 pm
All humans come from one mother that lived approximately 800,000 years ago.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 02:32 pm
OK, Seriously.....

I would think the correlation between mental retardation and birth defects/diseases would increase depending on how close the relationship is, and for how many generations this has been practiced.

In father/daughter, mother/son, brother/sister situations, there would be a risk, but it would obviously rise if let's say two children were born of this match, and they went on to mate and produce children.

The reason recessive genes remain recessive most of the time is that there is such a large pool of dominant genes when unrelated individuals mate.

If close relatives mate, eventually these recessive genes would surface, which means of course there are less genes to pick from, as the dominant gene has been weeded out.

Example, look at dog and horse breeders. They maintain careful records of reproducing animals, to ensure that no close relative will be mated, raising the chance of producing undesirable traits.

Different cultures have diseases that are indigenous to their/race culture, if they never or rarely go outside their group to mate.

In the long run, inbreeding over generations simply produces too few variations in the genes, allowing detrimental traits to arise and flourish.

Where did you friend obtain this information exactly?
0 Replies

Kasaova

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 04:11 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
OK, Seriously.....

I would think the correlation between mental retardation and birth defects/diseases would increase depending on how close the relationship is, and for how many generations this has been practiced.

In father/daughter, mother/son, brother/sister situations, there would be a risk, but it would obviously rise if let's say two children were born of this match, and they went on to mate and produce children.

The reason recessive genes remain recessive most of the time is that there is such a large pool of dominant genes when unrelated individuals mate.

If close relatives mate, eventually these recessive genes would surface, which means of course there are less genes to pick from, as the dominant gene has been weeded out.

Example, look at dog and horse breeders. They maintain careful records of reproducing animals, to ensure that no close relative will be mated, raising the chance of producing undesirable traits.

Different cultures have diseases that are indigenous to their/race culture, if they never or rarely go outside their group to mate.

In the long run, inbreeding over generations simply produces too few variations in the genes, allowing detrimental traits to arise and flourish.

Where did you friend obtain this information exactly?

She never said, it was just a conversation that sparked up when a fellow student married his relative, she was actually his niece as it was his dads sisters, son's daughter. And I had said that there is evidence to suggest that inbreeding is not. She just completely dismissed it and seemed like she know what she was talking about.

The next time I see her I'll ask her where she got her information from.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 05:03 pm
Dear old Mom...

She doesn't look a day over 700,000.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 05:21 pm
Kasa, welcome to a2k. I think that in recent decades some of the incest-inbreeding issues have become more clearly understood. I think I read that it's not as bad as once thought to bear children with certain relatives (cousins maybe). But, I haven't read that inbreeding was over-demonized in any other ways. Still not a good idea, if you're thinking about having babies with your sister.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 05:41 pm
Can I have babies with his sister, littlek?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 05:41 pm
I think there's already been too much of that in your family, Slappy.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 05:44 pm
Are you saying my family and I take turns having babies with Kasoava's sister?

I wouldn't take that if I were you, Kasoava.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 05:46 pm
ooooh, sorry, I misread. Yes, you can have babies with Kasa's sister.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 07:11 pm
I'm My Own Grandpa

Many many years ago when I was twenty three,
I got married to a widow who was pretty as could be.

This widow had a grown-up daughter
Who had hair of red.
My father fell in love with her,
And soon the two were wed.

This made my dad my son-in-law
And changed my very life.
My daughter was my mother,
For she was my father's wife.

To complicate the matters worse,
Although it brought me joy,
I soon became the father
Of a bouncing baby boy.

My little baby then became
A brother-in-law to dad.
And so became my uncle,
Though it made me very sad.

For if he was my uncle,
Then that also made him brother
To the widow's grown-up daughter
Who, of course, was my step-mother.

Father's wife then had a son,
Who kept them on the run.
And he became my grandson,
For he was my daughter's son.

My wife is now my mother's mother
And it makes me blue.
Because, although she is my wife,
She's my grandmother too.

If my wife is my grandmother,
Then I am her grandchild.
And every time I think of it,
It simply drives me wild.

For now I have become
The strangest case you ever saw.
As the husband of my grandmother,
I am my own grandpa!

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 07:13 pm
Kasaova wrote:
All humans come from one mother that lived approximately 800,000 years ago.

And where did you come up with that particular piece of information?
0 Replies