Friend With Diverticulitis

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 10:40 am
I have a friend that just came back from the emergency room. He has diverticulitis in his colon. Also, he's trying to pass a kidney stone. He's 55. I knew he was not eating properly, particularly in his new job, which requires lots of driving. He mentioned this a few months ago, plus he has lost every bit of weight he previously had. He eats entirely too much processed meat, such as baloney, and not enough of anything else. Until recently was drinking quite a bit of beer, though he says he stopped that. When he eats in a restaurant, he opts for a steak when possible.

Does anybody have experience with diverticulitis?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 663 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 10:54 am
I have diverticulosis - not itis. Not a problem yet, and maybe never will be. I don't believe the basic condition - colon looks like a vacumn cleaner hose - has anything to do with diet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 10:59 am
Causes, incidence, and risk factors:
Small protruding sacs of the inner lining of the intestine (diverticulosis) can develop in any part of the intestine. They are most common in the colon, specifically the sigmoid colon. These sacs, called diverticula, occur with increasing frequency after the age of 40. When they become inflamed, the condition is known as diverticulitis. Diverticula are thought to develop as a result of high pressure or abnormal pressure distribution within the colon. High pressure exerted against the colon wall causes pouches of the intestinal lining to bulge outwards through small defects in the colon wall.

Diverticulosis is very common, being found in more than half of Americans over age 60. Only a small percentage of these people will develop the complication of diverticulitis. Diverticulitis is caused by inflammation, or (sometimes) a small perforation within a diverticulum. If the perforation is large, stool in the colon can spill into the abdominal cavity, causing an abscess or peritonitis.

Direct risk factors for diverticulitis are not known. Risk factors for diverticulosis may include older age or a LOW FIBER DIET.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:40 am
Hi edgar,

Many years ago my former mother in law was diagnosed with diverticulitis. It was extremely painful for her and she definitely had to watch her diet very carefully. Unfortunately, a lot of damage had already been done before her diagnosis and during one particularly painful bout, we ended up taking her to the hospital.

The doctors had to remove about 18 inches of her colon and she had a temporary colostomy and was put on some form antibiotic treatment for about 6 months, still with a very cautious and bland diet to allow the rest of her colon to heal.

After 6 months, they reversed the colostomy and as far as I know, she has been fine ever since. I do know that she still does follow a much better diet than she ever did in the past.

Best of luck to your friend, edgar. I've seen how that disease can cause a great deal of pain and I truly hope he comes through it all in the very best of health after all.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:41 am
Many years ago, my mother had an attack of diverticulitis. Equally long ago, I also had a friend who came down with it. My understanding at the time, from talking to the doctors, was that it has a lot to do with a lack of iron in the diet. Perhaps lack of fiber was also a factor. I know that when mom came out of the hospital, she was put on a high-iron diet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:52 am
0 Replies