What British TV programmes do you get in the USA?

lindatw

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:29 pm
hbg: Haven't seen Rosemary and Thyme,but will look for it. Sounds like "Murder in Suburbia" a
low-key police show w/o much gore .
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:33 pm
yes, you are right one. (they still are dead - in the end - just seems to take a little longer - mainly "crime of passion"). hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:34 pm
yes, you are right on. (they still are dead - in the end - just seems to take a little longer - mainly "crime of passion"). hbg
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:49 pm
Oh well, if Prag can say what British Programmes play in Australia
I'll do the NZ lot....
we have -
Rosemary and Thyme
Property ladder-love it!
Top Gear
Absolutely Fabulous-re runs
Emmerdale
Cross Rds-yawn
Coronation St
Footballers Wives
Bad Girls
After Life-scary
Gimme Gimme-re runs
Monarch of the Glen
Vicar of Dibley

my favourite which they stopped making was...'Cold Feet' that was hilarious!

ok thats it, theres too many I could put up...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 01:20 am
Garga, I know what you mean about the American "Office". Although I found it very funny, it certainly lacked the cringe factor of the original, which is sad in a way. Over here, we have had quite a few programmes over the years, that deal with sexism, racism etc., in just this kind of way.
By David Brent starting into the whole racism thing when he drops a thoughtless comment into a conversation, the whole can of worms is opened. He then tries to make the situation right by adding some more thoughts, but only makes the situation worse. He has never heard of the phrase "When you've dug yourself into a hole, stop digging", and just carries on and on.....until the embarrassing silence is the only response that he deserves.
It is a CLASSIC way of showing how stupid and illogical things like racism and sexism are. It is portrayed as comedy, but everyone knows that the joke rests squarely on the idiot who is showing his/her self up as an ignorant moron.
A very good way of showing our young how NOT to think or act in this modern world, IMO. It is a shame that this was seen as unsuitable for US TV, and was cut out.
The charity day dance sketch has to be my (and the UK's) favourite.

Hamburger........I must confess, I haven't watched a "soap" in over ten years now....not a single one.
It all started when my wife and I arrived home from a Greek Island holiday, and were trying to recapture the moment with a nice cold drink in the garden, after unpacking our suitcases.
We heard the theme tune for Eastenders coming from next door, and both of us instinctively went to get up and go to watch TV.
We then looked at one another, said "Nah", and sat back down again.
This sparked a conversation about how much time we spent watching the various soaps each evening........Eastenders, Corry, The Bill, Emmerdale Farm etc etc.
It worked out at over two hours per day! We were watching them whilst eating our evening meal, very rarely going out and going to bed soon after the last one had finished.
We both decided to give them a miss, and do something else with our time....and haven't looked back.
I couldn't tell you who was in what nowadays, but I can totally identify with getting hooked on them.

"Rosemary and Thyme"?....my wife likes it, but personally I prefer the more gritty detective programmes, like the aforementioned "Messiah" (very dark and brooding).

Crossroads....KiwiChic? CROSSROADS? My gawd, that soap went off air here just shortly after WW2, I think. They tried to ressurect the whole thing about five years ago, but it went down like a lead balloon, I'm afraid.
Yawn, indeed.
See? A list from NZ, and STILL no mention of Only Fools......methinks there is some great conspiracy going on.

Oh, well.time to walk the dog. Peeing down with rain overnight, but nice and sunny this morning. I bet the woods are particularly squelchy though.
I shall wear my boots.......
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 07:07 am
I agree.Ellpus,about the police shows. The "darker"and more dramatic, the better. I share your philosophy about soaps. I never watch American-made soaps because they're so awful.
British soaps,however,seem better made,and of higher quality,to me. Maybe it's just the novelty
of something different.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 04:44 pm
Sorry Lord E...yes I forgot about 'Fools and Horses' but that was realy
old and I havent seen it played on Telly for years.
Cross Roads...they played the ressurection here a couple of years back
and I see why it went bottoms up.
I religiously watch Coro...and I love it, even though we are well behind you guys!
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 08:26 pm
Has anybody seen "Last of the Summer Wine" ?

Anybody ever been to Yorksire where they film the show ? Just curious if the scenery is really that pretty.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 12:58 pm
What British programmes......
Very Happy Anybody see Masterpiece Theatre last night ?Rupert Everett played Sherlock Holmes. Whom do you favor more as Holmes:
{1}Basil Rathbone
{2}Jeremy Brett
{3} Rupert Everett
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 09:58 pm
Re: What British TV programmes do you get in the USA?
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Here's a list of just a few of the best TV programmes that we have here in the UK. These are pretty much recognised as classics, and get very high ratings when shown.
Some present, some past.....but still great.

How many of these do you recognise?

Hi Ellpy!

Just found my way over to this thread tonight.

In my humble opinion, just about anything on English TV is superior to the fare that's cranked out over here in North America. I've learned a lot from my wife who was born in England from the Newcastle /Gateshead area.

Now then! I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Doctor Who! It's been a cult classic over here forever.

The current favourites of mine and my wife's are "A Touch of Frost", followed by "New Tricks".

Why do I like English TV? You actually get to see people of all ages, shapes, and sizes. In other words, they look like the average person, not models. They can act, too.

English actors have to hustle for a living. Most don't get Hollywood-sized pay cheques. They show up in a much more variety of shows. Very refreshing.

Many have already listed the ones that I have seen, so I won't bother repeating a list. Many are old favourites.

In my part of Canada, English shows are mainly received on cable via the following stations:

CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp)
PBS (Public Broadcasting from the U.S.)
The Knowledge Network (it's a BC thing)
Women's Network

I'm also a big fan of English movies.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 10:00 pm
Re: What British programmes......
lindatw wrote:
Whom do you favor more as Holmes:
{1}Basil Rathbone
{2}Jeremy Brett
{3} Rupert Everett

Jeremy Bett is Sherlock Holmes! I can't imagine anyone doing a better job than he did. Too bad he's dead.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 10:02 pm
BBC and some sessions of Parliament.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 10:16 pm
Wow,
I had no idea that Jeremy Brett had passed away...He was magnificent as Holmes, certainly my favorite of all.
This coming from a Basil Rathbone fan...
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 07:10 am
Hi,Reyn,welcome to the thread !! I much prefer J Brett as Holmes. Rupert Everett was ok,but not as good as Brett. I agree w/your assessment of tv programs. Most British/UK tv programs are better quality than most American tv dreck. I've enjoyed "Touch of Frost" whenever it's shown here on PBS.
Lion tamerx: it is sad about J Brett. He's been gone about 10 years.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 08:13 am
LionTamerX wrote:
Wow,
I had no idea that Jeremy Brett had passed away

He died in 1995 of a heart attack at age 61.

That goes to show you how old the Sherlock Holmes series that he did was.

PBS has recently started showing it again.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 08:20 am
lindatw wrote:
I've enjoyed "Touch of Frost" whenever it's shown here on PBS.

Hi!

We watch Frost here on our Knowledge Network. It seems like the station has recently acquired another season of the show, as it was not around for a long time.

The series has been around since 1992 and appears to still be ongoing.

I think David Jason is absolutely brilliant in his role.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 02:04 pm
Reyn: Did you see David Jason in the drama about
Gallipoli ? The name of the drama escapes me,but he played a leader of many of the soldiers who were killed at Gallipoli. He,of course,was excellent.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 02:13 pm
watched "touch of frost" with david jason last night on TV-ontario (public network) - great show.
... but i can't help it, i still see him delivering the groceries on "open all hours" , even when he is the crimefighter. hbg
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 02:23 pm
Interesting. I didn't know he'd ever done comedy
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 02:32 pm
'Last of the Summer Wine' was a bit dull for me....'Keeping up apperances'
was quite entertaining.

One of my fav British Actors has to be Robson Green!
0 Replies