French UN Official Arrested in Oil for Food Scandal

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 05:56 am
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1500346/posts

France - Former French Ambassador to UN arrested in Iraq Oil-For-Food scandal
AFP via Babelfish translation | October 11, 2005

Posted on 10/11/2005 4:31:54 AM PDT by HAL9000

Pétrole/nourriture: the former ambassador of France to UNO in police custody

PARIS - a former French ambassador with UNO, Jean-Bernard Mérimée, was placed in police custody within the framework of the French investigation on embezzlements supposed related to the program "oil against food" in Iraq, one learned Tuesday from sources close to the file.

Mr. Mérimée, 68 years, which was permanent representative of France to the Security Council of UNO between 1991 and 1995, was placed in police custody Monday by judge Philippe Courroye with the Brigade of repression of the economic delinquency (BRDE).

The judge suspects it of having profited from generosities of the mode from Saddam Hussein in the form of goods from purchase from oil or "allowances" between 1996 and

Mr. Mérimée, who should be submitted in front of the magistrate Wednesday, could have to answer to have benefitted from these "allowances" in the form of commissions with the resale, according to a source close to the file.

The French diplomat is one of the eleven personalities likely to have profited from advantages in exchange of his support for the Iraqi mode.

According to documents' collected fine April March-beginning by Mr. Courroye near UNO, the ex-minister of the Interior Charles Pasqua is in particular quoted, among these eleven personalities.

Five people out of the eleven were already put in examination to date by Courroye judge: the secretary-general of the association of the Friendships free-Iraqi Gilles Munier, the former diplomatic adviser of Mr. Pasqua Bernard Guillet, the diplomat Serge Boidevaix, the businessman Claude Kaspereit and the journalist Palestinian Hamida Na' Na.

This instruction open in Paris in 2002 on facts of "abus of social goods" to the damage of the oil company Total, made it possible to recently highlight skirtings of the U.N. program "oil against food" in Iraq of Saddam Hussein.

At the end of June 2005, the parquet floor authorized the magistrate to inquire into possible operations of corruption of foreign civils servant for obtaining oil between 2001 and 2003, the qualification being applicable in French right only since September 2000.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,048 • Replies: 12
No top replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 05:59 am
As Rush would say, for those in Rio Linda, this was a program meant to provide food for hungry children and these guys werre allowing Saddam Hussein to use the money for palaces and arms, including anthrax with which to poison the US senate office building.

Hope they still have whips and other torture devices in the Bastille....
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:10 am
From what I understand of the French criminal justice system I like it. The Examining Magistrates (juges d'instruction) can really get into it and are very independent.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:18 am
Just a small, but important correction:
no UN official was arrested
but a (former) French diplomat.

Jean-Bernard Mérimée was France's UN ambassador from 1991 until 1995, then ambassador in Rome until 2001.

Obviously, French plocis found out that he really is identical with that 'Bernard Mérimée' mentioned in the Un investigations.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:23 am
The Bastille was burned down during the Revolution Gunga, I suppose the whips and other stuff burned with it. Of course there are some reasonable facsimiles in Mme Tussaud's in Baker Street, London so they could move the trial perhaps Very Happy
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:29 am
Pffft!

So, now it was Saddam that sent the anthrax letters?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:28 pm
Well, he obviously has (had) strong connections to USA :wink:
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:58 pm
"The Parquet floor authorized the magistrate" doesn't quite have the same ring as "God spoke to Bush", does it.

If this man is guilty of this act, he should feel thoroughly ashamed. Fancy a man in power doing dodgy oil deals for personal gain.

Wouldn't happen in the USA, that's for sure.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 01:14 pm
squinney wrote:
Pffft!

So, now it was Saddam that sent the anthrax letters?

hah! i could swear reading and hearing that it had been traced back to an american lab.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 01:15 pm
That's what I meant earlier Laughing
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 01:31 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
That's what I meant earlier Laughing

ah HAH! as we suspected !

saddam hussssssseinnnnnn! under every rock. behind every tree ! ready and eager to poop on yore freedumms ! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 04:25 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
"The Parquet floor authorized the magistrate" doesn't quite have the same ring ....

Shocked

I have parquet floors and they don't tell me nothin', let alone authorize anything! What is this with the French and floors speaking?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:11 pm
That was a hoot - the parquet floor I mean. I had to look it up just out of curiousity.

Apparently le parquet is the term given to the panel of prosecuting magistrates (as opposed to the investigating magistrates). So apparently a panel of prosecuting magistrates, somewhere in Paris I presume, gave the go-ahead for this matter to be investigated.

An example of the phrase in use is here link

This is the important paragraph (and I don't understand enough French to translate it):

Quote:
Ils seront présentés aujourd'hui devant le juge d'instruction en charge du dossier, qui pourrait prononcer leur mise en examen. L'information judiciaire ouverte en juin dernier par le parquet de Saint-Denis pour des faits de harcèlement moral commis au sein de l'association réunionnaise d'assistance respiratoire et d'hospitalisation à domicile (ARAR-HàD) a connu, hier, de nouvelles avancées, sous l'impulsion du juge d'instruction Yann Boucharé.

Not trying to be a smart-arse, I have been interested in the French legal system for many years and this was very interesting to follow-up.
0 Replies