Hello need help on compare and contrast essay

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 03:54 pm
Love and hate are both emotions. Emotions are produced by hormones. These two

hormones are always zipping around in our bodies, particularly our brains. Love and hate

have to subside and are replaced by other less fiery emotions so that we don't burn out.

Love and hate are both strong emotions; however, one creates a positive feeling and the

other created a negative connotation. Both love and hate have a few interesting

similarities and differences.

Love is a very powerful emotion. This emotion can over take every portion of

your entire body such as your mind, heart, and soul. When someone is in love with

another person, it can make them happy, sad, confused, or make their heart ache. These

kinds of emotions can make a persons heart beat faster and your breathing becomes

choppy. To be in love with someone is to need them. If someone has been inspired by

affection, they might become attached. Attachment makes people very happy. If you are

happy and in love, you will feel like you want to be with that person forever. If love is

fed, this emotion can grow over time. Love can also diminish over time if starved or

ignored.

Love is a wonderful and positive feeling. Love brings people together and is

caring, kindness, and sharing. If you have love for all people, and are a caring pleasant

person, you will be nice to all people without judging them and treat everyone as an

equal. This type of loving person would help out in the world whenever they can. If I see

a poor man or women on the street, and I have money in my pocket, I will let them have a

few dollars. This way these poor people can get something to eat. This kind of love is a

great motivator. Doing kind things and being nice to people is the best love around. The

feeling of caring, sharing, and kindness makes all people feel wonderful inside.

Hate is also a very powerful emotion that can encompass your mind, body, and

soul. If someone breaks your heart or hurts you, the loving feeling you have for that

person can turn to hate. When this feeling of hate comes to a person, they may feel anger

and despise the person who broke their heart, be it a friend, family member, or lover. If a

person was abandoned or forgotten by their lover they will feel lots of pain. When this

happens, the abandoned one will want to hurt the person that hurt them. The hurt person

might try to get revenge on the one who hurt them because there love turned to hate. The

type of revenge the hurt one might want to do is say something to that person for the soul

purpose of hurting them. Also, a person can achieve revenge by contacting that person

new significant other in there life and make up stories or lies to destroy their new

relationship. Like love, if hate is fed this emotion can grow over time, and can also

diminish over time if starved or ignored. As you can see there is a thin line between love

and hate.

Hate can also be a hate crime or doing hateful things and want to hurt people

because of a persons prejudice to another person's ethnicity, religion, or social status. I

saw an old homeless man in New York City when I was about seventeen years old. This

homeless man was in front of a variety store. There was another man in his early twenties

at the store causing trouble with this poor man. This young man hit a glass bottle over the

poor mans head for no reason at all. The poor man fell to the ground and was knocked

unconscious. This evil hateful young man suddenly started to kick and hit the helpless

homeless man. I think being kind and loving to one another is better than hating and

being an evil, rotten, mean person. Like love being a great motivator, hate is also a

motivator because of hate crimes such as White Supremist, or Black Panther Groups. Just

to mention two. These groups are driven and motivated by their hate towards other

people and groups.

When we talk about love and hate we like to think that they are polar opposites,

yet they're similar emotional extremes. Hate in time, can change to love. Love can

suddenly and tragically turn to hate. Love is a good and positive emotion that brings great

things to people in their lives. Hate is a negative and hurtful emotion which divides

people.

I copied and pasted this essay so It is going to come out different. Can someone give me some help? Does anyone see errors? Does there need anymore fixing here? Should I add or take things away? Does this essay make since? Am I on the right track?I was going to do this essay before but decided not to. Now I decided to do it again and added a couple of lines from some people who helped me before. I just don't know how to write this. Any more idears.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,411 • Replies: 4
No top replies

SneakyBeaky

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 05:48 pm
Maybe if I have more time tonight I will try to be of more help?

But I figured I might as well give a few pointers-

1. Transitions: almost every paragraph starts with "love" or "hate" -- try to make each paragraph flow into one another, using words like furthermore, also, besides, consequently, in addition to....

2. You shouldn't use "I" in essays- they're formal. (The collective/informal 'you' should also not be used) to fit your story in the essay, you could say something like, "there are numerous occasions where homeless people have been targeted..." "Often times homeless people suffer from abuse from every day citizens..."

3.Err, I'm rather running out of time, but here's a quick last thought-- you said that love and hate are similar extremes, but what happens when love causes negative feelings? Hate causes positive feelings?

You mentioned they can turn into one another, but love doesn't have to turn into hate to be negative- loving someone you know you can't have, loving someone who constantly abuses you physically/emotionally. You said it can make your heart ache...but then go on to say it's wonderful and positive.

Hate can have positive feelings, too. Hating a rival and beating them in something, or seeing them fail, can be uplifting, a real motivator. I just think emotions can't be grouped as good or bad; they all are a mixture of both.
0 Replies

jenniejen

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 06:03 pm
Thanks for the feed back. You are right about feelings, but in writing writers do not really mean what they write. It doesn't have to be true or how I feel. Does it? I thought I heard my professor say that one day.
Thanks for the feed back and I'll be waiting for you later to look over it more. Thanks Jen Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

jenniejen

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:03 am
I fixed my essay a little how is this
Love and Hate

Love and hate are both emotions. Emotions are produced by hormones. These two
hormones are always zipping around in our bodies, particularly our brains. Love and hate
have to subside and are replaced by other less fiery emotions so that we don't burn out.
Love and hate are both strong emotions; however, one creates a positive feeling and the
other creates a negative connotation. Both love and hate have a few interesting
similarities and differences.

Love is a very powerful emotion. This emotion can over take every portion of
a human beings entire body such as their mind, heart, and soul. When a person is in love
with another person, it can make them happy, sad, confused, or make their heart ache.
These kinds of emotions can make someone's heart beat faster and your breathing
becomes choppy. To be in love with a person is to need them. If a person has been
inspired by affection, they might become attached. Attachment makes people very happy.
If you are happy and in love, you will feel like you want to be with that person forever. If
love is fed, this emotion can grow over time. Love can also diminish over time if starved
or ignored.

Love is a wonderful and positive feeling. Love is a combination of two people sharing, caring, and being kind to one another. This is the kind of love that helps bring people together. If you have love for people, and are a caring pleasant person, you will be nice to people without judging them and treat everyone as an equal. This type of loving person would help out in the world whenever they can. If I see a poor man or women on the street, and I have money in my pocket, I will let them have a few dollars. This way some hungry poor person can get something to eat. This kind of love is a great motivator. Doing kind things and being nice to people is the best love around. The feeling of caring, sharing, and kindness makes all people feel wonderful inside.

Hate is also a very powerful emotion that can encompass your mind, body, and
soul. If a person breaks your heart or hurts you, the loving feeling you have for that person can turn to hate. When this feeling of hate comes to a person, this person may feel anger and despise the person who broke his or her heart, be it a friend, family member, or lover. If a person was abandoned or forgotten by their lover this soul will feel lots of pain. When this happens, the abandoned one will want to hurt the person that hurt him or her. The hurt person might try to get revenge on the one who hurt him or her because their love turned to hate. The type of revenge the hurt one might want to do is say something to that person for the soul purpose of hurting them. Also, a person can achieve revenge by contacting that person new significant other in their life and make up stories or lies to destroy their new relationship. Like love, if hate is fed this emotion can grow over time, and can also diminish over time if starved or ignored. As you can see there is a thin line between love and hate.

Hate can also be a hate crime or doing hateful things and want to hurt people
because of a persons prejudice to another person's ethnicity, religion, or social status.
There are numerous occasions where homeless people suffer from abuse from everyday
citizens. For example, I had seen an old homeless man in New York City in front of a
variety store once. I was about seventeen years old. There was another man in his early twenties at the store causing trouble with this poor man. This young man hit a glass bottle over the poor man's head for no reason at all. The poor man fell to the ground and was knocked unconscious. This evil hateful young man suddenly started to kick and hit the helpless homeless man. I think being kind and loving to one another is better than hating and being an evil, rotten, mean person. Like love being a great motivator, hate is also a
motivator because of hate crimes such as White Supremist, or Black Panther Groups. Just
to mention two. These groups are driven and motivated by their hate towards other
people and groups.

When we talk about love and hate we like to think that they are polar opposites,
yet they're similar emotional extremes. Hate in time, can change to love. Love can suddenly and tragically turn to hate. Love is a good and positive emotion that brings great pleasures to people in their lives. Hate is a negative and hurtful emotion which divides people.
0 Replies

SneakyBeaky

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 04:55 pm
Eek?! "writers do not really mean what they write"....um, then what's the point of writing? If you don't believe in what you're saying, why should others? Why should they take the time to hear what you're trying to tell them?

If this is for a class and the assignment was to contrast love and hate, I really do believe it should be your opinions- mean what you say.

Is there any difference in the two copies of the essays you posted? Because I'm not seeing them? Sorry I didn't post back sooner- sometimes there's just not enough hours in a day.

I think with the few pointers I gave before, and if you make sure your work reflects your opinions, it would clean a lot up. I'm not sure how else to help- I mean, it has to be your work. Good luck with it though! Hopefully all goes well.
0 Replies