Its/It's and They're/There

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 08:19 pm
Anyone got problems with these? They seem to be the most common mistakes in english. How about lay/lie Question

Anyone who knows these kinds of mistakes people usually make in other languages, post them here!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,708 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 04:47 pm
They drive me nuts! Also double is: "The point is, is that she..."
Reticent for reluctant...
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 05:48 pm
College freshmen usually take a course in English. This helps to eliminate confusion.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 09:26 pm
The hardest thing when you learn English, if you don't live in an English speaking country is, IMO, phrasal verbs.
For me, the main trouble has been mastering the use of prepositions (in, at, on).

For English speakers, the main problem with Spanish is mostly gender. Since English nouns are genderless, they don't know if the wall is "la pared", "el pared" or even "lo pared".

An odd thing is problems with languages that are close to yours. It happened to me with Italian. After a few weeks or months you think you know the language, but you're constantly making little mistakes few people care to correct, since they understood you anyway.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 11:11 pm
And don't forget "principal" and "principle." c.i. Wink
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 02:04 am
fbaezer wrote:
The hardest thing when you learn English, if you don't live in an English speaking country is, IMO, phrasal verbs.
For me, the main trouble has been mastering the use of prepositions (in, at, on).

For English speakers, the main problem with Spanish is mostly gender. Since English nouns are genderless, they don't know if the wall is "la pared", "el pared" or even "lo pared".

An odd thing is problems with languages that are close to yours. It happened to me with Italian. After a few weeks or months you think you know the language, but you're constantly making little mistakes few people care to correct, since they understood you anyway.

Spot on. English prepositions are a nightmare. Phrasal verbs complicate things because prepositions then take on nuanced meanings:

e.g. off=away in phrasal verbs like "run off" "drive off".....

The gender in other languages is hell for English speakers because of conceptual differences. Inanimate objects do not have gender for an English speaker.

So it's hard to understand (then later to remember) why my head, my butt and my underwear are female nouns.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 02:09 am
I have always appreciated the German convention on gender. If it's plural, it is feminine. When in doubt, make it plural.

Lie/lay and affect/effect are a constant defeat.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 06:29 am
The hardest languages for me have been Hebrew and Arabic. Latin, French and German were a piece of cake relative to H and A.
0 Replies